Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thread on uses of Not Your Father's Root Beer

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I have already admitted I didn't really care for the after taste of this product, so what will I do with the remaining 5 bottles? Then I remembered years ago there was a popular ham recipe by a now deceased egger named Bear which used root beer. For kicks & giggles I Googled "root beer ham" and several links popped up. Here seems to be the most popular:
http://www.food.com/recipe/new-orleans-root-beer-glazed-ham-108831

I thought maybe a separate thread would be a place to collect ideas for uses besides chug-a-lugging the stuff.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited August 2015
    5 bottles?  If you dislike the after taste then put all 5 in a pail and take one giant swig.  Then you only have to deal with the aftet taste once.

Or you could use it to make ham.  Your choice.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Unintentional redirection of this thread,..... my daughter (lives in the Atlanta area) had a chef do a Coca Cola ham as one of the entrees at her wedding reception...... earlier this summer. It was outstanding....the chef had never done one before, but enjoyed the challenge and we all loved the outcome. I can see Root Beer on steroids working here. I say give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I don't care for it either. It's okay enough, but not as good as root beer and not as good as beer. For me, it was drinkable, so I drank it. But honestly you should just give it away or drainpour it. Anything you might cook with it would probably be better with root beer instead. Call it $10 lost and move on.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    If you happen to be in Morton in the next couple of days I know how you can get rid of it ;)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    You could try making a BBQ sauce with it too.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I always say if I would not drink it then I wouldn't cook with it. The bad aftertaste will probably come through with whatever you cook. Hate to risk ruining a nice ham. Just give it away to someone or dump it out. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Braising liquid for short ribs?
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    It's much better when mixed with Rumchata, either jager-bomb style or in a pint filled with crushed ice.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • RRP
    Well, somebody must be liking it around here. When I bought mine the display at Kroger was 10 feet wide, 6 feet tall and 4 six packs deep. I was just there this morning and the wall is more than half gone! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    RRP said:
    Well, somebody must be liking it around here. When I bought mine the display at Kroger was 10 feet wide, 6 feet tall and 4 six packs deep. I was just there this morning and the wall is more than half gone! 
    Sounds like purchase consumption might not = purchases,have heard several people in my circles say they like it. Not my normal beer drinking crowd though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Make popsicles:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/good-day/fox-2-cooking-school/11694137-story

On a side note, my wife and I like Coney Island Hard Root Beer much better.
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
     This root beer glazed ham is insane!  Making the sauce makes the whole house smell incredible!  I've made this every Thanksgiving since finding the recipe.  http://nomenu.com/?p=3118

This is a local radio talk show host's website.  Tom Fitzmorris I'm sure the NOLA eggheads all know him.  He even has an Egg.  Has a talk show everyday and it's about nothing but food!  He can be annoying sometimes but all in all a good show b/c it's all about food!  

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I do think the root "beer"  ham could be good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2015
    @RRP thanks my friend.  I am really liking them.  My local liquor store is sold out for 4 weeks.  I am very glad you gave me the chance to try them!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    @RRP thanks my friend.  I am really liking them.  My local liquor store is sold out for 4 weeks.  I am very glad you gave me the chance to try them!
    You're welcome! Since I didn't look in the bags until I got home then please tell me...the white wood is ______________
    and the dark wood is _____________
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    white wood is orange.  dark wood is peach.

I hope you enjoy the flavors!