Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onions

Me and the wife were just at Target getting stuff to make turkey burgers tonight. I like to make make a little foil packets of carmelized onions using a little butter and olive oil to top the burger with. I was wondering what kind of onions everyone uses. I always use regular white onions. Lately I've been wondering how much of a difference a yellow sweet onion would taste. Anyone care to share how they prepare and what onions they use?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I almost always use yellow but that's more on the wife's tastebuds then mine. Given the option I'm sure I'd use both. I will use white onions in salsa most of the time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    For carmelized onions or simply grilled onions for that matter I prefer regular white onions vs sweet onions. Reason? The sweet onions lose their shape and eventually their texture and then their body! White onions stay tasty and have substance even after grilling.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    @RRP , I hate when onions lose their body (and minds!).
    Actually, I also prefer white onions for just about any use, grilling, and in chili.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We're Vidalia onion fans for burgers. Everything else gets white onions.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For what you are doing, I use pretty much any onion. Overall to me, raw yellow onions usually taste stronger, white, a little more subtle, and red sweeter. Once they are cooked to carmelize, I don't find a lot of difference. The harsh, sharp sulfur flavors are gone, and with a little careful extra cooking, onions w. less sugar can be concentrated.

I'm basically cheap, so I buy lots more yellow. Where I live, they can be bought in bulk. The skins are great as stock ingredients.

The big difference is when used raw. The Vidalias and Walla Wallas have less sulfur in them, so often don't need any cooking to get rid of the pungency.

If I could, I'd use lots more leeks and shallots. At the market, they tend to be expensive. Both are a little hard to grow for me, so they remain special items. Shallots can be faked w. a mix of 2 parts white onions to no more than 1 part soft neck garlic.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dredger said:
    We're Vidalia onion fans for burgers. Everything else gets white onions.
    Raw then yes Vidalia over white on burgers, but like I said when topping with grilled onions it's whites for me as grilled Vidalias just disappear in the pan!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    I'm a fan a red onions for most uses. Love Vidalia on a burger!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Love me some Walla Walla Sweets!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    Just yellow here.  I have a few recipes that call for reds, but dang they want some coin for them!  Maybe I should start experimenting with whites a bit.
    While I love raw onion flavor, they don't love me and I can't eat them; a single slice blows me up like a zeppelin!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I think what I'm gonna do is throw some red onion in the burger mixture and carmelize the white onions. I'll post some pics 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Mostly use sweet and Vidalia is our preference. Although we do use our fair share of yellow, red and white.  Last time I did the foil pocket method I went with 1 whole Vidalia chopped, 1 shallot diced, 2 cloves garlic minced, a lite drizzle of EVOO and 1/4 stick of unsalted cream butter and a pinch of coarse kosher salt and fresh coarse ground medley pepper. Throw some chopped bellas and chiles in there for fun too. Good stuff. Don't overcook or it will lose body and become too mushy imho.  Eat them by themselves or top onto a burger, dog, chicken, steak etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Here's the foil packet. Kept it simple EVOO and some butter. Also some pics of the turkey burger mix and patties.