Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options
What's your favorite brand of lump and where do you buy it?

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Jerry, this topic has been discussed numerous times.  Try searching; but for me, I'm happy with regular old Royal Oak.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And as above, lump discussions here are like religion and politics...Give the search function a shot or add "big green egg" to any google query and you will get more info than you can digest.
    And for your reading pleasure here's a link to a great site for all things ceramic. Check out the lump reviews: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JerryinTX
    Options
    Thanks guys!  lousubcap, those lump reviews were exactly what I was looking for!  I was looking for a good brand that had more of the big pieces.  Nothing better than having pictures of the chunks all sorted out by size.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Living in Los Angeles, I .. We don't really get a choice on lump, for the most part it's RO .. and you know what - I'm ok with that.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • golfguyjosh
    Options
    I switched to Rockwood LOVE IT I will only use it now. 

Jacksonville, FL
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

My preferred is RO. I read here that many say that Rockwood is great. So when I was in the area of the store that sold it, I stopped in. I almost did not buy it since it was twice the price of RO. I knew the only way I could compare RO to what others said was premium was to buy I a bag. Was it better than RO? It did not have as much dust and tiny pieces than the average bag of RO. It did burn up faster; I went thru the bag in no time. The local hardware store sells Cowboy; I'll buy it there for convenience and if  I can get it for under $10 a bag. The last two bags of RO have been great; almost all usable pieces and no mystery surprises.

Another local store is selling Laredo Premium 100% Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal - 20 lb. for $10.43; buying in quantity drops the price to $9.04. I'm going to buy a bag and see what its like.

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Search function 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Depends on what you're cooking.  I was happy with RO for most applications, but it left a flavor when doing more delicate cooks (like baking) that I didn't care for.

switched to RW and have been very happy. Very neutral flavor that gives more control on final result
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Royal Oak for the regular stuff,can't beat price with veterans discount at HD.Rockwood for the special stuff,absolutely neutral on flavor .
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm still a noob, but what I've learned is lump is like beer, everyone has there favorite for different reasons, taste, cost, mix of the two. 

I started with BGE, which is RO, and it had a very smokey flavor, and gave my wife heartburn.  I thought I was going to have to sell my egg and go to gas. 

I bought some some frontier at SAMs, and it was less smokey the first couple of bags, but then later bags wer every smokey and caused heartburn for the wife. 

I found a bag of Rockwood at an Ace Hardware, and tried it after reading all the reviews of it.  It has been the best to me.  Very mild flavor, no white smoke when you start it.  Only down side is cost, but to me it is a superior product and is worth the cost. 

I'm going to try some others, just to see the differences.  

• nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Californians can research this option:

http://komodokamado.com/collections/coconut-charcoal

It's a good product.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I love my Royal Oak!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    I use RO for a clean burn but won't cook my food with it. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Wowens said:
    I'm still a noob, but what I've learned is lump is like beer, everyone has there favorite for different reasons, taste, cost, mix of the two. 

I started with BGE, which is RO, and it had a very smokey flavor, and gave my wife heartburn.  I thought I was going to have to sell my egg and go to gas. 

I bought some some frontier at SAMs, and it was less smokey the first couple of bags, but then later bags wer every smokey and caused heartburn for the wife. 

I found a bag of Rockwood at an Ace Hardware, and tried it after reading all the reviews of it.  It has been the best to me.  Very mild flavor, no white smoke when you start it.  Only down side is cost, but to me it is a superior product and is worth the cost. 

I'm going to try some others, just to see the differences.  

I ran into the same issue with Frontier and it turns out the bad bag was made in Mexico. The USA made Frontier lump works great for me and I'm stock-piling it now for the winter.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    lousubcap . Check out the lump reviews: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm FWIW-

While that site has a lot of good information, bags of lump will vary. Testing one bag of lump years ago may not be an accurate indication of the lump they are now selling. The last bag of RO I used was exceptional. I got to the bottom of it today. The amount of dust and chips would easily fit in a 1/2 cup container. Opened up a new bag today as well. Plenty of big pieces on the top. In a couple of weeks I'll get to the bottom. The bottom may be the same as the previous bag or may be loaded with useless lump. Some manufactures have a more consistent lump. 

The best way to judge lump is to buy a bag and hope its an average bag of what they're selling.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    I use RO for a clean burn but won't cook my food with it. 
    For some reason that just cracks me up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I saw this post and it reminded me that the last time I checked FOGO 35 lb on Amazon it was around $48 (fairly high).  Today it is $51 Prime!  Wow.  Anyway, I have limited options, as well, so I am good with Royal Oak for your average quick cook, pizza or searing and try to have some Wicked Good on hand for low and slow.  I don't fret about it if I have to go with RO for low and slow, though.  I just make sure I don't put the protein on until the smoke settles down.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I saw this post and it reminded me that the last time I checked FOGO 35 lb on Amazon it was around $48 (fairly high).  Today it is $51 Prime!  Wow.  Anyway, I have limited options, as well, so I am good with Royal Oak for your average quick cook, pizza or searing and try to have some Wicked Good on hand for low and slow.  I don't fret about it if I have to go with RO for low and slow, though.  I just make sure I don't put the protein on until the smoke settles down.
    I bought a 35# bag of FOGO on Amazon when it was $35 Prime earlier this summer. Just opened the bag last week and was really impressed with the size of the pieces. Two cooks later and I will definitely track pricing and buy again when it's more reasonable.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I bought a 35# bag of FOGO on Amazon when it was $35 Prime earlier this summer. Just opened the bag last week and was really impressed with the size of the pieces. Two cooks later and I will definitely track pricing and buy again when it's more reasonable.
    I was impressed with the quality the last time I purchased it, as well.  I am also tracking it and plan on purchasing when the price dips. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Rusty412
    Rusty412 Posts: 24
    Options
    Love the Rockwood, but Wicked Good is a close second!

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    FOGO > Amazon > Prime
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Fogo on Canuck Amazon is deflated CAD 50.40 free shipping, no minimum purchase. No bad but I have cheaper alternatives.
    canuckland
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    WeLcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX