Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rutland Gasket Installation

Options
I finally got the time to replace the gasket on my XL egg. I used the Rutland from RRP and found the adhesive at the auto parts store. Total cost was about $20.00. It was much easier than I expected so here's my first attempt at some pics.
Removed the dome by removing the springs and 4 bolts at the hinge points. There's no need to take the bands off or ziptie anything. The dome comes off with the band in the same place it's always been
Put the dome in a #2 wash tub cushioned and protected by the BGE cover.
Removed the old gasket material with a putty knife and cleaned up the dome and base with the recommended paint stripper disc on a drill. I also used the pumic stick just to see what it would do. Save your money because it really didn't do much. The stripper disc alone did a great job.

Installed the new gasket as instructed by RRP. Had just a few inches left over so I used scissors to trim it with no problems. I then set the dome back on the base with some plastic drop cloth to keep the adhesive from migrating to the dome. Then I used a cinder block for some extra weight to let it cure for a day.

The end result isn't the neatest thing I've evr done but the excess adhesive is minimal and the gasket is smooth.

The marks you see are from a sharpie that I used to mark the quarter sections rather than tape.
I fired up the egg, set the Digique to 400 degrees and let it settle in for about an hour just to burn off any potential fumes. There were none noted though. I also didn't see any smoke coming from the gasket area  and the dome closes just like it did before with no noticeable over or under bite. It took about 4 hours for the temp to come down close to ambient after shutting the egg down with the ceramic top and plugging the fan hole.
I think I spent a total of a half hour for the disassembly and clean, maybe 20 minutes to put the gasket on and the rest was waiting for the cure time. I belive not having to remove the bands and readjust later really saved some time. There is no change noticed with the Rutland on the base and nothing on the dome.
Now I can get back to some serious pig and cow stuff!
Many thanks to RRP for the help.

Comments

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Recently had to do the same thing, followed Ron's instructions and have to say it could not have worked out better.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks. I need to install mine finally. I can't find the "scouring disc". What brand did you get? Lowes nor Home Depot have the suggested 3M brand. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Chubbs I bought the 3M at Lowes and it worked great.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Both Lowes by my house didn't have it. Weird. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    The brand of disc doesn't matter. I got the one available at Home Depot that is used with a drill. They also had one that's used with an angle grinder but it was more $$.
    My local store had them in the power tool area with the other attachments.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I found the 3M disc at Wally World. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You put a gasket on top and bottom? or is that top just that clean and an illusion
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnH12
    Options
    Gasket on the base only. The dome is bare as per RRP. It'll probably darken up after a few cooks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    You put a gasket on top and bottom? or is that top just that clean and an illusion
    I strongly recommend on the base and not the dome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options

Chubbs said:
    Thanks. I need to install mine finally. I can't find the "scouring disc". What brand did you get? Lowes nor Home Depot have the suggested 3M brand. 
    Even a generic type will work! Harbor Freight sells one cheap and they by very design are meant to wear down and be pitched so there is no need to spend a lot of money! I just used a 3M back 13 years ago and since then many are now on the market.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    Agreed, that is where mine is--looked a little in the picture like one on the top as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnH12
    Options
    That's just cuz I got it soooo clean! =)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I gave my RRP Rutland gasket a lite dusting of fine charcoal dust to make it look like it's always been there.
    Instant antique. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

Ron,

I'm wondering why put the gasket on the base? It's a bit more of a pain to put it on the top but when it's done, it's done. Then when using your egg, the base is much easier to clean-up any drippings without the gasket on the base.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• RRP
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

Ron,

I'm wondering why put the gasket on the base? It's a bit more of a pain to put it on the top but when it's done, it's done. Then when using your egg, the base is much easier to clean-up any drippings without the gasket on the base.

It's your call, but I'd rather have my gasket stationary and staying put rather than collecting debris to then be waved over my food. Besides being on the bottom then if it ever starts to deteroriate I will notice that far quicker than if it was on my dome since glancing 360 at the underside of the dome is hard to do and out of sight out of mind. And lastly... I always tell people that it is not necessary to remove their dome, mess with their bands and run the risk of getting them out of sync. Besides if they did NOT agree and not want to remove their bands and dome, then gravity is going to be a real bear trying to apply their gasket upside down. BUT if none of these pointers make sense then have at it! 
  • bigguy136
    Options

Fair enough Ron. You make a good point about debris being collected and waved over your food. Something to think about.

Back when I first joined the forum, there was someone else also selling the gasket and I bought 2 so both of my larges are covered but I'll be ordering a gasket for my mini max soon and also a buddy might want one for his large.

Thanks for the insight.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• RRP
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

Fair enough Ron. You make a good point about debris being collected and waved over your food. Something to think about.

Back when I first joined the forum, there was someone else also selling the gasket and I bought 2 so both of my larges are covered but I'll be ordering a gasket for my mini max soon and also a buddy might want one for his large.

Thanks for the insight.

Not sure who else has been selling them as I have been providing this service for the past 13 years and quite visible unless you got in on some private deal where some dude was trying to get his money back for buying a 157 foot reel! I buy 471 feet at a time! There's a good chance you bought them from me. Send me a PM along with your name and approx year you bought yours and I can pin point it! BTW today #2,016 shipped! 
  • bigguy136
    Options
    RRP said:
    bigguy136 said:

Thanks for the insight.

Not sure who else has been selling them as I have been providing this service for the past 13 years and quite visible unless you got in on some private deal where some dude was trying to get his money back for buying a 157 foot reel! I buy 471 feet at a time! There's a good chance you bought them from me. Send me a PM along with your name and approx year you bought yours and I can pin point it! BTW today #2,016 shipped! 

Here was the thread I saw.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140222/rutland-gasket/p1

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @RRP is the Man!!  3 days after I pm'd him I had my 2 gaskets with payment after.  And detailed instructions included!  Just Kudos for @RRP for this service!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    RRP said:
    bigguy136 said:

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks! Then I was correct...the dude bought a single reel and wanted to sell the rest. I see he hasn't even been back here since July 2013. Since he bought his 1 roll of 157 feet and sold to you guys I have purchased and resold 62 rolls. Oh well...you now know I'm hiding in plain open sight! LOL
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Another cheers for RRP!  My gasket has worked flawlessly since installing a few weeks ago.  Nice not having to worry about burning it cooking pizza and steaks!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Did the same thing a week ago.  It was super easy, and Ron's instructions were spot on.  I only had 1/2" of gasket remaining after covering the base.  The first cook was a smoked chuck roast.  It held rock steady at 250 for 7 hours.  It would have gone longer, but the roast was done. Before the Rutland, the best I could do was about 270 for five hours before I had to stir the coals.  This thing made my Egg so much more efficient.  I think BGE would be wise to make the Rutland gasket a stock component.  Between that and my High Que grate, holding temp is stupid simple. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    jaydub58 said:

Both Lowes by my house didn't have it. Weird. 
    Amazon. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bigguy136
    Options
    RRP said:
    bigguy136 said:
    RRP said:
    bigguy136 said:

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks! Then I was correct...the dude bought a single reel and wanted to sell the rest. I see he hasn't even been back here since July 2013. Since he bought his 1 roll of 157 feet and sold to you guys I have purchased and resold 62 rolls. Oh well...you now know I'm hiding in plain open sight! LOL

At the time, I was trying to figure out what was the better gasket (rutand or nomex) and when someone said they were selling rutland gaskets, I bought. Today I know you are the one selling the gaskets but remember we were all new at one time here and we don't know about the rutland guru right away.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I wish all buying experiences were as good as dealing with Ron.  He does what he says he's going to, and he does it quick.  Thanks Ron for the gasket today.
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Ron sent me a Rutland gaskets last year on my word that I'd send him the money- i.e. he sent me the gaskets BEFORE getting paid.  He did what he said he would and I did what I said I would and all is right in the brotherhood of Big Green Eggdom!

Egg on Brothers!

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I replaced my original gasket several times with Nomex and then with a higher temp Nomex. I got a Rutland gasket from Ron a couple of weeks ago. Ron was a real pleasure to deal with as previously noted.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    @RRP When you say you don't have to remove the dome are you saying you can use the 3M wheel/drill on the dome in place.  I like that idea as I have limited left hand dexterity and I'll need to bring help if it needs to be removed.  I probably will ask the SASIL ( smart azz son-in-law) @GuitarEC as he's pretty handy, but if we can do it in place we can BS more,  work less..  

Thanks for being a great forum supplier!  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • RRP
    edited August 2015
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    @RRP When you say you don't have to remove the dome are you saying you can use the 3M wheel/drill on the dome in place.  I like that idea as I have limited left hand dexterity and I'll need to bring help if it needs to be removed.  I probably will ask the SASIL ( smart azz son-in-law) @GuitarEC as he's pretty handy, but if we can do it in place we can BS more,  work less..  

Thanks for being a great forum supplier!  
    Absolutely! You will just need to twist your body a bit to get the angle, but it's no big deal and happens really fast since that area is such a small place. My warning though is to wear safety glasses and close your mouth as the debris at that angle MAY be slapping you in the face!
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    RRP........    He knows , listen grasshopper !
    XL times 2