Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

With apologies to SGH...

AS one of the thousands (millions?) that drooled over Scotty's Stuffed Chicken over the weekend, I had to try this.

The day I read SGH's post, I was in HEB and stumbled across a stand alone freezer near the seafood dept. Saw this thing and  knowing i will never have the talent or patience to do what SGH can do with a bird, thought it MIGHT be a small substitute.

Got the egg at 350 indirect.

Wish me luck!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    My wife would sure love that! She is a big Shrimp lover.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    While the prepackaged thing is a turn off for some I say go for it and enjoy it. Looks like it could be pretty decent.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Looks awesome. Waiting patiently for the finished product. Thanks for sharing this one. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    No apology necessary my friend. I hope that rascal turns out incredible. Will be standing by for the finale. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    edited August 2015
    Luckily there's a Cajun meat market nearby. I've been eating fresh deboned stuffed chickens for years. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Good luck with that bird!!  @DoubleEgger, where in Marietta do you get yours?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    How is it looking?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Well, it's literally a hot mess.

But, pretty dam tasty.

Would liked the skin to crisp up more but it cooked faster than I thought and I didn't have much time to cook un-foiled.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SGH
    dmchicago said:
    Well, it's literally a hot mess.

But, pretty dam tasty.

I didn't have much time to cook un-foiled.

A hot mess is one of my favorites ;)
    Glad that it turned out great.
    The time unfoiled is what sets the skin. Once you unfoil, you can jack the heat even higher to tighten it up if you like. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Where do you check it on a stuffed bird like that?  Thigh, stuffing, both?
  • dmchicago
    edited August 2015
    Stuffing. Per Scottys post, when the stuffing is 165, your done. IIRC. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bgebrent
    Thank you sir.
  • SGH
    bgebrent said:
    Where do you check it on a stuffed bird like that?  Thigh, stuffing, both?
    If it's totally deboned, all you have to do is check the center of the stuffing it's self. I take the stuffing to 160 degrees. I have cooked a few thousand of these over the last 4 decades and have never had one not be done when the stuffing was 160 degrees. I try to stay with birds 5-6 pounds and totally debone them. This will ensure that the bird is always done. For the record, I use raw ingriedants in my stuffing. If you are asking about the pre packaged and stuffed birds, I have no idea. But I bet they have some kind of directions with them. Most things do. 

Status- Standing by.

• dmchicago
    Yes....directions stated 165 stuffing and pull. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks fantastic man. Now I want some even more.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.