Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love my new chamber sealer!!

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    @jaimie I happen to leave mine set at about 30 seconds.  I find that this is usually enough for most meats but not too much for my deli sliced meats.  For something like tonight's 00 pizza cook, I'll take the left over slices and seal to about the midway point of the green section.  This way I don't crush it.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    For large batch I leave some headroom for printed labels:

When happened a bag of buns when I didn't know better!

canuckland
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Yep, I tried to save a few garlic rolls from my Italian restaurant takeout and I turned em into pancakes.   My wife is @Jaime   Thanks for any suggested times.  It appears you tend to watch the gauge more though.   I just want best vac storage for stuff I'll freeze w/o doing that cell damage someone posted about earlier.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    Just realised I can do this! Make sure you watch the gauge and don't let the needle go down more than 50%, if you don't want to crumple it  =)  Even at 50% I could see the lid dip when the vacuum was released, scary! 

Is this the food saver quick marinator I see on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T02-0050-05-Quick-Marinator/dp/B00005OTXS/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_y

• swordsmn
    If so you just close the marinator valve and set lid lightly on the base and vac till mid range on the dial?
  • Canugghead
    Yes and yes. I had those before I got the chamber sealer.
    canuckland
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    @swordsmn and I thank you all for the info.  To the OP, hope we added to and didn't derail your thread badly
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2015
    swordsmn said:
    ... It appears you tend to watch the gauge more though...
    indeed, I apply the cook-by-IT-not-by-temp logic and ignore the timer  =)
    hence the artificially high time setting to ensure I don't run out of time before hitting manual STOP button.

I also use my hand as 'cushion' to prevent the lid from swinging open all the way violently.
    canuckland
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Wow...bookmarked. I need to get myself this lol
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Jealous

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Canugghead
    Duh, I meant cook-by-IT-not-by-time
    canuckland
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    I'm going to have to put it on my list! I was looking at buying one in a couple of months anyway since I want to start buying food in bulk from https://www.zayconfresh.com
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If/when my Foodsaver dies, I'm definitely buying one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Do any of you have any thoughts and opinions on the VP112?
    GWN
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    edited August 2015
    @Nanook  one of the things that drove me to the bigger $$ model 215 were SOME reports of the 112 series lids cracking.  Frankly this might be one of those "you always see disproportionate bad reports on the forums" but I got scared I admit.   Then me the excess toy ho starts thinking the oil based pump in the 215 HAS to be more durable.   That decision might hv been overkill.   Check the user reviews on the 112 on amazon.  Not sure the crack fear is justified anymore.. You might call the mfgr and hear THEM out. I really think it is a great unit overall AND it has an external tube that can vacuum jars etc.  the 2xx series is limited to vessels that'll fit inside.   
    The big benefit of any of the chamber styles is the cheap bag cost over foodsaver bags .   It's remarkably cheaper consumables.  I don't think you'll regret any chamber system. 

This is Doug, @swordsmn bogarting wifes ipad AGAIN..  LOL
  • Canugghead
    @Nanook, +1 on what Doug said. I went for the vp215 oil pump too, probably overkill for home use.  If there's one thing I don't like on the 215, it's the bag size limit of 10"x13". Gotto love the vp112's 12"x14" max bag size. 

I notice you're in GWN too, are you getting it from the US or local, if you don't mind me asking.  I got mine from Amazon dot ca, it was 999 plus HST then.
    canuckland
  • Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi.  Your typical foodsaver will pump down to 3 psi.  The difference between that and and absolute vacuum is minimal.  In fact the difference between a $300 vacuum pump and $10,000 ultra high vacuum pumps such as turbo pumps, is much less than 1 psi - it is insignificant insofar as the outside pressure has on the container - 14.7 psi is the theoretical maximum at sea level.
    At 1psi (51.7 Torr), material at 80F would have an Atmospheric Equivalent Temp (AET) of 209F (or just below boiling) so there is truth here.  (At 3psi that changes to 159F).

Isn't science great!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    @Jaime. Thanks for your input. 
    @Canugghead. I haven't made a decision to buy one yet. Believe it or not, I have a Foodsaver machine that I have had for about twenty years, and it is still working flawlessly. I understand this is not the norm for these machines. I can only guess that the newer versions are not as good. I have heard lots of complaints from friends and relatives that they have replaced theirs a few times. I vac pack ALOT, so I'm thinking this old machine has to be getting close to the end of its life. So, at this point I'm just trying to research what I will replace it with when the time comes. Thanks for your input as well. 
    GWN
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I have the VP112 and love it. Had it for over a year and no issues.
    Duncan, SC
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    even stopping when gauge needle was only 50% around the dial proved too strong for the marinator container over time  :s 

canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2016
    I raise my own chickens and like to vac seal them. Has this machine got enough room for a chicken?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    @GlennM  Have not tried sealing a whole bird. Small ones should fit, not so sure about large 8-10 pounder, may have to flatten the breast even if it fits.
    canuckland
  • Sorry for another hijack. 
    For people who have the VP 215 what size bags do you use the most? I am ordering my sealer soon and don't want to bulk order bags that turn out being way to big or small. 
    Have a young family of 5 and we make our own sausage, burgers and process some game and pigs. Would like to freeze things like family meals like chops flat for easy storage and defrosting. 
    What's your thoughts?
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    I freeze a lot of single servings for a college kid, so 6x10 is most handy. For larger portions I use 8x12.  Didn't buy any larger bags because I have boxes of leftover wider rolls from Foodsaver days and still have my Foodsaver.  Also bought some tiny 5x7 'fun' sizes.

Ordered 1000 8x12 and 1000 6x10 with my vp215 from Amazon.ca, still have about 800 8x12 and 600 6x10 left.  If in doubt get larger ones since difference in per bag cost is as low as 2 or 3 cents.  One more thing, I went with 4 mil. in hind sight 3 mil should be fine and cheaper.  I like to fold out the bag opening when filling wet stuff, to keep the sealing area dry ... easier to do that with 3 mil.

Oh, I save the milk bags too ... they are great for short term freezing, and for opened bags of spices.

Edit: @CanadianAnvil sounds like 8x10 and 10x 13/14 (largest that fits in vp215) will suit your need better?
    canuckland
  • I'm just wondering. The kids are 5,3 and 10months now. We cut up things like pork loins and that to freeze. Right now we put 3 per bag so I was thinking 8x10 or so. Same with sausages we put 9 to a bag
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I got tired with all the sizes so I'm pretty much 10x12 for everything.  I essentially have moved to my food fitting in bag instead of the other way around....need more chicken for the bag is heard a lot around our house. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    I freeze a lot of single servings for a college kid, so 6x10 is most handy. For larger portions I use 8x12.  Didn't buy any larger bags because I have boxes of leftover wider rolls from Foodsaver days and still have my Foodsaver.  Also bought some tiny 5x7 'fun' sizes.

Ordered 1000 8x12 and 1000 6x10 with my vp215 from Amazon.ca, still have about 800 8x12 and 600 6x10 left.  If in doubt get larger ones since difference in per bag cost is as low as 2 or 3 cents.  One more thing, I went with 4 mil. in hind sight 3 mil should be fine and cheaper.  I like to fold out the bag opening when filling wet stuff, to keep the sealing area dry ... easier to do that with 3 mil.

Oh, I save the milk bags too ... they are great for short term freezing, and for opened bags of spices.

Edit: @CanadianAnvil sounds like 8x10 and 10x 13/14 (largest that fits in vp215) will suit your need better?
    What is mine again? 115? What's the largest bag size for your's? I have a lot of bags I can't use.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I purchased the VP210 (non oil pump, no servicing required) as mine is in a carpeted room and too darn heavy to take to garage for service. It works very wella nd I am pleased with mine.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    What is mine again? 115? What's the largest bag size for your's? I have a lot of bags I can't use.
    Steven, yup yours is vp115, click and zoom in to see model#

vp115 takes max size bag 11.5x13.  my vp215 takes max 10x13 ;(  Occasionally I have to pull out my Foodsaver for larger pieces, still have tons of wide FS rolls.  What size surplus do you have?

@bettysnephew no way I can lift my vp215, it sits permanently on a steel cart. To change oil I just raise each corner to rest on a small wood block, that gives enough clearance to drain old oil.

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    GlennM said:
    I raise my own chickens and like to vac seal them. Has this machine got enough room for a chicken?
    Update for you:
    Sealed some whole birds for the first time today, these are small 3 pounders but it should give you an idea. Judging by the space around the bird, I think 7-10 pounders should fit but not sure about larger ones.

canuckland