Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to remove BB rib membranes...

Options
I see this question asked from time to time and thought I'd repost this. It's from Randy Price (AZRP on the old forum) and it works great. No paper towels needed! I don't do ribs often, but I have used this method and it really does work. Sooo much easier than any other way I've tried. Thanks, Randy!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697455&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've been around awhile and have never seen this. Thanks Carolina for posting and AZRP for documenting the technique. I will definitely try this on the next rack of ribs I cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    Wow!  I have got to try that!  Thanks for sharing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I never understood the big mystery about removing the membrane after learning all you have to do is grab the end with a paper towel and pull.

For those that don't understand, just try it sometime.

But a worth while link to check out I guess.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

it is also easier when then ribs are at room temp

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I never understood the big mystery about removing the membrane after learning all you have to do is grab the end with a paper towel and pull.

i think its just a small learning curve, the first few rib cooks, then you never look back. just grab and rip in seconds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I have tried it. Always seems too hard to get a good grip. I find this much easier. Then again, I do ribs about once every couple of years. And that was BEFORE my doc said that was too often! :)

But whatever works for you. I just thought some would be interested.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    I have used paper towels, but always tear the membrane.  I will always try new ways.

I know most things, but not everything ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    Options
    I trick I've learned is the membrane comes off much easier with the ribs at room temperature, rather than refrigerator-cold.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I will give this a shot.  There have been quite a few stubborn ribs with the paper towel method over the years.  Glad to see a new option to try.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Great tip. Thanks for posting.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  I have bookmarked that link for sure.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    As a back up for the really stubborn ones then grab your handy dandy catfish skinning pliers! Those are cheap if you don't already have a pair amongst your fishing gear.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.