Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got 6 bags of rockwood today

Options
13»

Comments

• RollTideRob
    Options
    Spoke with Dan at Firecraft who provided excellent customer service. He repeated what @stlcharcoal said. "If we don't know about it, we can't fix it." He is shipping me three more bags today. Very satisfied customer.

They are having new boxes designed to improve this problem for in the future. I think I'll buy an entire skid next time. He said that would be shipped directly from Rockwood and would cut down on the number of times handled.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yeah. He is here passing the buck on the shipper. Maybe you should pay a better rate for a shipper instead of being cheap that way you can get quality service instead of cheap undercutting company's such as Swift, Schneider, or Warner. Just sayin' 

Yeah I use your product and a whole lot of it at that, but you did offend me with the shippers statement.

i clearly agree that was a LOADING mistake NOT a shipping problem.

?????  How do you know what shipper we use?

Our truckloads are handled exclusively by a local family owned company......never had any damage or issues from them.  We pay them more than the going rate because we know they can be trusted to ventilate and not damage our product.

As far as LTL....

Our LTL and local delivery is handled by a small family owned company that has been there since the 30's.  They're next to our warehouse so they pick up as soon as we call.  We have never used the three companies you named.

There are some cheap shippers we will not let them interline to.  I'm not going to list them here, but you can probably guess who they are as one goes to your area.  If any of these carriers making the final legs of delivery damage our product we file a claim.  If it happens repeatedly, or we get hit with extra charges, then we don't use them again.  We have a contracted rate with good one going to Firecraft that keeps the per bag cost down.  The next nearest would double the freight cost......a cost that would pass to the consumer.  They take three days to get there, and have damaged less than a dozen bags in this year.  Pretty good service as far as I'm concerned, and Firecraft agrees.

Why are we even talking about this?  This was a FedEx Ground shipment......not truckload or LTL.
    I don't know what shipper you use. Really could care less to be honest with you. 

I have stated I do use your lump and I use a lot of it. 20lbs a day. I have only had 1 bag show up with a hole in it from firecraft. To me it's not a problem. I would not care if it came in 100lb boxes just lined with plastic. Let's face it lump is messy no matter if the bag is sealed or ripped open.

My local ace keeps telling me they can't carry your product and I can ge it for 20.00 a bag from firecraft not 25.00 local. If my local dealers would match the price I would buy it a pallet at a time as yes I like your product as it burns clean and is great with low and slow. 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok for me to chime in.  We ship a bunch, LTL and small package residential ground.   First thing that comes to mind with lump is expect a certain amount of 'crap happens', both LTL and small package.  We ship stones, so shipping to prevent damage isn't new to us. 

Lump is an easy thing to double stack in a long haul trailer.  Sure the freight sales guy will tell you all their trucks use stack racks so freight is not double stacked.  Bull!

Just picture a forklift driver who has to run 8 pallets down a 250+ foot dock to transfer the pallets between trailers.  Do you honestly think he is going to make 8 trips when he can easily do it in 4 trips by stacking.  Also imaging the bounce on the pallets as they ride the 250+ foot dock on the forklift forks.  Oh and when he gets to the outbound trailer do you honestly think he is going unstack the pallets and load individually.  After all, it's all going to the same destination.  Don't forget if your pallets are lucky enough to ride a 1000 miles over the axles in the trailer.  Some freight can go through this drill 3 or 4 times before getting to you.  

Same goes with small package shipments.  It's all about the luck of the draw with each box as to how and where it is placed when being transported.  Is it on the bottom holding up hundreds of pounds from above or riding comfy on top.  Is the person loading/unloading the trucks capable of handling a bulky heavy box and/or in a pissy mood.  Are you the first stop on a loaded truck or is the box one of the last stops and on the truck floor because it is heavy and the driver has to move it several times (with foot) to make his way around the truck.

Lot's of ways for crap to happen with a shipment.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
     I've never ordered Rockwood.  I'm lucky that the local Ace stocks it.  I would thing that a bag of charcoal is not the ideal thing to try to ship as it is heavy, bulky, and a bunch of pieces in a bag, not a solid item.  It's gonna shift etc, and we all know shippers don't handle it with care like we do.  i handle it like it is china when I'm loading it in my truck.

For companies like FireCraft could it be packaged differently, possibly in larger quantities (50-75lbs), and be in a plastic box, or super heavy duty cardboard, maybe even with some foam in it to cut down on it shifting as much??

I'm sure it would be more expensive to package like that, but if it was a larger container, that might spread the cost some.

Just some thoughts, and if you need a test ship to address, just let me know, and I'll be glad to let you know how it works.  I'll even burn it up so there wouldn't be any return shipping.

Honestly I'm glad I read about Rockwood on here.  I'd used BGE, and Frontier, and both gave my wife heartburn.  That mild flavor of the Rockwood is perfect for her.

Thanks
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    Spoke with Dan at Firecraft who provided excellent customer service. He repeated what @stlcharcoal said. "If we don't know about it, we can't fix it." He is shipping me three more bags today. Very satisfied customer.

They are having new boxes designed to improve this problem for in the future. I think I'll buy an entire skid next time. He said that would be shipped directly from Rockwood and would cut down on the number of times handled.
    Regarding an entire skid/pallet...do you know how many bags (30?) and is there a price difference for bulk buy?  I have been wondering if I could get together a group to split a pallet in the Houston area...I could handle anywhere from 6-10 bags probably.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    @dboram 30 bags but you'll have to ask them about a discount. I spoke with Dan and he said to ask for him about bulk buys.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    dboram said:

Regarding an entire skid/pallet...do you know how many bags (30?) and is there a price difference for bulk buy?  I have been wondering if I could get together a group to split a pallet in the Houston area...I could handle anywhere from 6-10 bags probably.
    I am in Spring and have participated in a group buy of Rockwood before with other Houston area Egger's. I would be good for 10 bags if needed.
    LBGE and Mini
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Can you buy a pallet direct from Rockwood ?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    Nope, those days are gone.  Jonathan can't even handle the volume new dealers would require.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    Nope, those days are gone.  Jonathan can't even handle the volume new dealers would require.
    I've tried as well. I even have a forklift!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    If anyone in SE Florida is interested, just let me know. I can take 10 bags.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com