Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aluminum Foil usage

I think I should have bought stock in the Reynolds company when I bought my BGE 2 years ago. I sure do use a bunch of the stuff and I bet I'm not alone. I wrap the platesetter; I use it to protect over-hanging proteins; FTC; I do a lot of foil pouch cooking of veggies. I'm thankful that Sam's usually has a good deal on the stuff. 
Tonight's meal was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and home-canned beans. The foil pouch tonight contained the garden potatoes and a little water tightly closed. Potatoes cooked while the meatloaf cooked. Once done, into the house for a quick mash. Good stuff!
No pictures, but it really did happen. I promise. 
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Same here. SAMs. Wire tied to the pantry door. Straight up trailer park macgyver yo.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lol, I just bought 4 HD rolls at SAMs today
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SAMS foil roll customer here too! I just wish I could hit some antique mall some time where I could find one of those old hanging roll cutters with the big blade used in butcher shops of yore to rip off a sheet to size of paper or now aluminum foil. I thought about making my own version, which I may when I figure what to use for a good sharp edge...OH BOY>>>now I won't get to sleep again tonight designing that roll dispenser!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MIL keeps me stocked up =)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use no more than I did before the egg. Rarely wrap the PS, never have overhanging food, I don't FTC and I don't cook in pouches. I didn't before the egg and I haven't changed. I bought a small roll of HDAF about 2-3 years ago. Almost never use it.

I nuked a "baked" potato tonight. No foil allowed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    edited August 2015
    Try...just once a foil wrapped baked potato on the egg. It won't be your last time! Especially if your standard is a microwaved potato. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've done them on the egg before. Just not foiled. They are better than nuked. But not better enough to wait that long.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I was in a Chipolte a few days ago, I noticed they had these huge hunking boxes of Reynolds wrap ... obviously restaurant size. Question, where can I buy that size at?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I've done them on the egg before. Just not foiled. They are better than nuked. But not better enough to wait that long.
    1/2 microwave and 1/2 wrapped on the egg. Saves time. 
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    @SoCalTim I imagine Restaurant Depot has them...
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    RRP said:
    SAMS foil roll customer here too! I just wish I could hit some antique mall some time where I could find one of those old hanging roll cutters with the big blade used in butcher shops of yore to rip off a sheet to size of paper or now aluminum foil. I thought about making my own version, which I may when I figure what to use for a good sharp edge...OH BOY>>>now I won't get to sleep again tonight designing that roll dispenser!!!

How about a hack saw black.  I just did a quick search and found one 18 x 1.5 x 6tpi for $10.50 and one 21 x 2 x 6tpi for $14.  I would think that would do the job and should last for a long time. You may be onto something here.  "If you build they will come".
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2015
    itsmce said:
    Try...just once a foil wrapped baked potato on the egg. It won't be your last time! Especially if your standard is a microwaved potato. 
    Try...just once a non-foil wrapped baked potato on the egg. It won't be your last time!  Especially if your standard is a microwaved potato or a foil wrapped potato. 

Just coat with butter or olive oil and roll in or sprinkle on Kosher salt and go naked!  That way, you can get some of the smoke flavor on it. You won't get that if its wrapped in foil. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I bought a giant roll from RD about 3 years ago and I'm getting close to the end, but still working on it. FTC pretty much everything, but don't even own a PS and have never foiled anything on my AR. I probably use more $ in disposable AL drip pans than anything else, but my largest consumable expenditure is still lump (not counting meat). I don't crutch much; ribs occasionally if I'm running behind. I wonder how much more AL foil comp teams use than average backyard smokers...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I'm afraid of alzheimers.  I don't use it at all.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I line my colander with it and use it as a skull isolator to keep THEM from listening to the voices in my head telling me to buy more BGE stuff. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    SoCalTim said:
    I was in a Chipolte a few days ago, I noticed they had these huge hunking boxes of Reynolds wrap ... obviously restaurant size. Question, where can I buy that size at?
    Costco
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I buy the large roll of Bakers and Chefs foil that comes with a cutter on the box. The box is 18" x500' and generally sits in the cabinet, and I just pull and rip.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    itsmce said:
    Try...just once a non-foil wrapped baked potato on the egg. It won't be your last time!  Especially if your standard is a microwaved potato or a foil wrapped potato. 

Just coat with butter or olive oil and roll in or sprinkle on Kosher salt and go naked!  That way, you can get some of the smoke flavor on it. You won't get that if its wrapped in foil. :)

Yep.  Naked is the way to go on potatoes.  Otherwise you are steaming them.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i like foiled potatoes from time to time, steamed with a stick of butter with garlic, onions, peppers, some rub, why the hatred =)  i dont foil though, i use my seafood cataplana.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    seems like a fitting place to mention the tabs on the end of the box that secures the roll in the box, i cant believe how many people have never noticed them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Didn't happen
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    I use Reynolds standard aluminum 12"x1000' & heavy duty 18"x500' from Costco.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Costco for foil, always.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Honestly I don't know what I would do without foil.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.