Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket- Some advice on the outcome, please.

Hi All

Smoked my 2nd brisket yesterday. Turned out much better than the 1st (shoe leather), but still needs some work.

Here what I did:

6.5 lbs whole brisket. marinated in fridge over night, mustard and a typical dry rub (brown sugar, garlic/onion/chili powder, paprika, salt/pepper). Brisket was covered in rub but not think layer- could see meat through rub. 

- egg temp- 225-250 entire cook
- hickory chips, dry, put in a handful at start of cook. added another handful 4-5 more times. 
- put brisket on straight from fridge. 
- 12 hr cook time, hung around 156-158 for a couple of hours, at 162- wrapped in foil, poured some juices over brisket from drip tray and cooked until 190. It took approx 9.5 hrs to reach 162 and another 2.5 hrs to reach 190.
- wrapped in towel and put in chest for 1.5 hours. 

Looking for advice on; increasing smoke ring (was visible but very small), thicker/darker bark (look ok but only the thinner end had a nice dark crust), and increasing tenderness. 

Any help is appreciated!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    1) You didn't say what kind of brisket it was - prime? choice? select? Angus?  Wagyu? Starting with the best, floppiest meat you can find is extremely important to your endpoint.  Some folks here have admitted they spend up to 30 minutes deciding which brisket to buy in a store that has a good selection.  6.5 pounds is pretty small.  Most seem to have more success with them a little larger. 

2) 190 may not be done.  Did it probe like "buttah" in the flat?.  Some briskets soften up at lower temperatures (Wagyu in particular) but I've had one that didn't get tender until 204 - others report going as high as 208. 

3) It is common to not get a smoke ring on the egg.  Others here can explain it more scientifically, but I think it is because lump doesn't smoke as much as the wood that is typically used on an offset smoker.  Don't sweat it.  Flavor is what's important.

4) To get better bark, don't wrap in foil as that softens the bark.  Many of us now use butcher paper as it seems to preserve juices while allowing the bark to really be bark - and because Aaron Franklin does it.  I've been extremely happy with my results using butcher paper.  I think it took my briskets to another level.  You might also experiment with more or less rub until you get the bark you like.

5) Most importantly, enjoy the journey and the fruit of your success.  It sounds like this one turned out pretty good.  Well done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Few things-- why is smoke ring important to you? That's a small brisket. Prob better results with bigger cut. No need to marinate. You are not going to get good bark dumping liquid on it and wrapping in foil. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • It was a Choice Brisket. We bought 6.5 lbs to avoid an over night cook and eat same day. Our 1st attempt was overnight and not very successful. We are on a lake and have to deal with wind- I believe the issue on the 1st attempt. Will try a larger brisket- if cook ends at night, say 11 pm, what is best way to store until the following dinner?   

190- I followed a recipe and tried to stick to it. probe slid in easily but maybe not "buttah", will use this as a guide going forward. Am i risking tough meat by letting it go up in temp (past a finished point) or because of low cooking temp, it will only be more tender? I assume this is a trial and error exercise.

flavour was great. I only cared about smoked ring because it seemed like a marker of success. good to know. 

Bark- when you use butcher paper, do you add back in any juices? is it similar to foil. ie encases the brisket?

Thank you. It did, a little surprised actually and everyone was impressed! Looking forward to the next and hopefully even better one!

I appreciate the feedback. 
  • Thanks Chubbs- I guess its not. I took the ring as a marker of a good smoke/penetration of flavour. I will rely on taste for this. I chose a small brisket to minimize cook time. Will do a larger one next time. I asked this already, but how do you store if not being eaten until the next day? I would like to avoid overnight cooks for the time being. Gotcha on the marinade, next time no liquid or wrap unless I try Foghorn's suggestion of butcher paper. 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    I can't cook overnight because of bears!!! I wrap the brisket in foil and one or two towels and place in a cooler. I finish the cook the next morning. Wrap and back in the cooler until time to slice and eat.
  • how does that work? can you keep the internal temp in the cooler? does the cook just pick up where you left off? is there a certain point you need to pass before removing? does it impact the cook (taste, tenderness, ....)?
  • I've held a brisket for 8-10 hours in FTC setup (foil, towel, cooler) and it was still hot to the touch. I like to double wrap in heavy duty foil and insulate with two towels above and two below. If you have a roto-molded cooler like a yeti, it will hold for even longer. I also agree on the butcher paper method, I've never had a bad cook since I changed to this, and there's no need to add liquid when you wrap in paper, it will stay plenty moist.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    The internal temp. drops but it does not seem to effect the taste or the tenderness. But I have no choice, a bear would destroy my egg and table trying to get to the meat. I try to cook for 12 to 16 hours the first day and then cook till tender. Because I am at altitude it take longer. The last brisket to 20 hours of cooking time. 
  • Foghorn
    It was a Choice Brisket. We bought 6.5 lbs to avoid an over night cook and eat same day. Our 1st attempt was overnight and not very successful. We are on a lake and have to deal with wind- I believe the issue on the 1st attempt. Will try a larger brisket- if cook ends at night, say 11 pm, what is best way to store until the following dinner?   

190- I followed a recipe and tried to stick to it. probe slid in easily but maybe not "buttah", will use this as a guide going forward. Am i risking tough meat by letting it go up in temp (past a finished point) or because of low cooking temp, it will only be more tender? I assume this is a trial and error exercise.

flavour was great. I only cared about smoked ring because it seemed like a marker of success. good to know. 

Bark- when you use butcher paper, do you add back in any juices? is it similar to foil. ie encases the brisket?

Thank you. It did, a little surprised actually and everyone was impressed! Looking forward to the next and hopefully even better one!

I appreciate the feedback. 

Some here (Travis and Centex I think) just start very early in the morning and cook at 275 - 290 and get larger briskets done in time for dinner.  I haven't tried that yet.  I have had one finish so early that I wrapped it in foil and refrigerated it - then warmed it in the foil for 2 hours at 275 and sliced it for serving.  It was great.  That was before I used butcher paper.  I'm now sure what I would do now - foil around the butcher paper in the fridge...?

Some briskets are done at 190 so there I can't swear that yours was undercooked - but that does seem a little low for a choice brisket.  Once it probes tender you should get it off.  If you keep cooking longer it actually gets more tender such that it will fall apart when you try to slice it.  At that point it is sometimes better to just pull or chop it and make sandwiches or burnt ends.  If you cook even longer it will dry out and get tough.  The window for pulling it off and getting good, thin slices that pull apart when you want them to is fairly narrow.

I try to slice my brisket only when someone is ready to eat it.  I slice it then I drag it through the brisket juice that has accumulated in the bottom of the butcher paper on the way to the person's plate.  I believe I saw them do this at Franklin's when I went so I decided to try it.  It's a great way to conserve/prolong moisture as the brisket starts drying up as soon as you slice it.

As an aside, if you want someone to know that you are continuing a conversation with them you should put the "at" (@) sign in front of their handle.  That generates a notification to the person so you can let @Chubbs (for example) know you responded to his comments.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• @Foghorn- thank you! so much to learn/practice!
  • Foghorn
    @Foghorn- thank you! so much to learn/practice!

Happy to help.  We are all students of the art and science of outdoor cooking. 

San Antonio, TX

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I am no brisket expert but would offer the following thoughts:

1) As has been indicated - 190 may not have been enough.  Don't cook to temp,  probe it in the thickest part of the flat.  When it goes in smoothly with very little resistance, I pull off.  I generally start checking around 195.  Have had some go all the way to 210 before I felt it was done.

2)   On the smoke ring - the egg isn't great at that.  I have found Bad Byron's and oak wood produce the best smoke ring on my brisket's.  Picked that tip up on this site.  If the lack of a ring really others you,  sprinkle on a little Morton's tender quick before applying your rub.  It is faking it but many people eat with their eyes as well.  If a smoke ring is something that is visually appealing to you or your guests, the Tender Quick will produce one.  I haven't noticed any difference in taste or texture with my briskets while using the Tender Quick.

3) On the bark - foiling will soften the bark for sure.  That doesn't bother me but if you want a thick crusty bark, cook it uncovered (not foiled) the whole time and use a lot of rub on the meat.  To me, some of the coarser ground rubs seem to produce a better bark example - course ground pepper and salt, Meat Church Holy Cow, etc...

Keep after it.  Brisket has been a tough cook for me but mine are getting better.  When you nail one it will make all the trial and error worth it.    
    XL BGE
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    SPRIGS mentioned Morton's Tenderquick to enhance the smoke ring. You can also use celery salt or Accent as the first part of rub application.

I have not yet tackled a brisket. But will be doing an overnight this Fall on a 14-16 pounder.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim