Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast in a Tagine.

Options
I love cooking Chuck roast in my Egg.  This time I wanted to incorporate my Tagine, a favorite cooking vessel I use during colder months.

First I took my chuck roast and coated it in Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub.  Then put in in the LBGE @ 275 degrees for 4 hours to get it to the stall.

Then I gathered up the rest of the ingredients:  Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, green beans, canned tomatoes, beef broth, paprika, ground fresh pepper, red pepper, diced fresh ginger, copious amount of garlic and cilantro. 

Sautéing the ginger, garlic and paprika.

My assistant and companion was Founders Centennial IPA.  A favorite. (With my own Hop plants growing in the background)

After the roast did its thing for 4 hours, I assembled the rest of the cast and popped the chuckie in for another 1.5 hours in the Tagine. 

The theory of the Tagine is that the condensation travels up to the peak and then condenses down into the middle of the dish, ensuring a moist continuing bath.  I think it worked great in the Egg.

Just coming off the Egg. 

Plated Family Style.  The bark was out of this world on this one. A very tasty meal.  Leftovers for home fries and chuck omelets.

Kennebunk, Maine

Comments

• CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Marrocan style on the BGE , cool .All you need is a recipe for Naan.  Any left overs?
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    CDPlaya said:
    Marrocan style on the BGE , cool .All you need is a recipe for Naan.  Any left overs?

Breakfast tomorrow - diced up chuckie and potatoes in the cast iron skillet with eggs and cheese.  Can't wait.

Kennebunk, Maine
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Great post, where's a good place to purchase a Tagine?  Also, what are their other recommended uses.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The end results look beautiful and that is a really cool cooking dish. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Another stupid money spending spree about ready to start......again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice cook.  That breakfast tomorrow sounds amazing!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    blukat said:
    Great post, where's a good place to purchase a Tagine?  Also, what are their other recommended uses.
    Try world market if close
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Northarrow
    Options
    blukat said:
    I picked up mine at a local well stocked kitchen supply store.   If you Google Tagine recipes you'll find many savory recipes.  Great gadget.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    You are a true Jedi master. That looks amazing. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great tagine cook there brother! Most excellent!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have always wanted one, now that I know it can be used in the egg...gonna have to add it to the list.

btw, damn good looking dinner there.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    So, to be sure I understand - when you reached the stall instead of wrapping you put everything in the ganging and finished there? What was the finished temperature?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Northarrow
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    So, to be sure I understand - when you reached the stall instead of wrapping you put everything in the ganging and finished there? What was the finished temperature?
    That's right.  Once it hit 165, I put it in the Tagine with the rest of the fixins for about an hour and a half.  It was at 200 internal when all the veggies were done.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • SciAggie
    Options
    "Ganging" - don't you hate autocorrect?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon