Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd cook today - Its gonna be ribs - Couple of questions though

Options
So it has been (1) Beer Can chicken, (2) Ribeye on the new CI grate and now (3) 12lbs of Loin Back Ribs Today.

I picked up a package of ribs yesterday, there are 3 racks and total weight is 12 lbs.

I am cooking them on the XL, indirect, 321 method as described on here.  I have a rack that will hold 7 cuts upright.  If I leave the racks whole there will be ends that extend beyond the PS.

Is there a problem with cutting the racks in half so that they are all in the rack and on top of the PS? I have been reading posts about ribs and have never seen anything about this one question or comment.

The cook is planned for rub only and to let people sauce them to their own taste.  In this family there is a mix of liking them both ways.

Thanks

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    There is no problem with cutting the racks in half so they fit nicely above the plate setter.
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    No prob cutting them down, you want them to be in the shadow of the platesetter so the ends don't burn.  Since this is your first run, why not try not foiling one rack - just let it go nekkid the whole time and do some comparison with the 3-2-1 ribs.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If the ribs are exposed over the ps just lay some aluminum foil, shiny side down under that part... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Off to prep and rub the ribs.  Plan to use Dizzy Pig Original on 3 sections, DP Swamp Venom on 1 (just to check it out) and Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ on the other 2.  The Meat Church came recommended by the store owner where I was yesterday.

I have never used any of these rubs before, but am trying them based on my reading about ribs on this forum.

Let's face it, I apparently didn't know a whole lot about BBQ cooking and smoking until I joined here.  Now I can't wait to keep trying new things on the Egg.

Its not just a meal, its an adventure.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looking forward to your results!

+1 with what @henapple said about foil; otherwise, cutting them is not a problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I like to foil too but I would suggest 3-1-1 rather than 3-2-1.  IMO 2 hours in foil is just too much and will be too overdone...falling a part and maybe even mushy.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    When you are referring to temp setting, are you going by the dome thermometer or the grate level probe.  There seems to be quite a difference between the two when you use the PS?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I really don't want to screw this up the first time.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    When you are referring to temp setting, are you going by the dome thermometer or the grate level probe.  There seems to be quite a difference between the two when you use the PS?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I really don't want to screw this up the first time.
    Well, your ribs are cooking at the grate level so that's the temp that you want to know. Having said that, I always just use my dome thermo for any cook. The variation in temp between dome and grid will  diminish over the course of your cook and, really shouldn't have a significant impact on your end results.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Most recipes on this site refer to dome temp.  While using a platesetter, the dome temp will be higher than the grate, but during the course of the cook they will even out....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sonny3
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy responses. Man I love this site.  The grill is lit and I am burning of the VOCs now.  VOC, something I never even heard of before joining here.  Basic info I am sure, but guys like me that trundled through life with gassers never even heard the term.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I am glad you chose Meat Church rubs. They are all Excellent! By the way I have no association with them. Just love their rubs.

Good luck, Have fun!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter