Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any bikers missed Sturgis this year?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting article - specially the last para or two where it is referenced the guy from IL attending was on a Yamaha. Sturgis has changed from being a "US made Milwaukee paint shaker" event and I would guess the acceptance of all bikes might help explain the big 75th anniversary crowds. Huge event.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    a friend posted Facebook photos from outside the Harley dealership.  The sea of parked bikes was just unbelievable.
    New Orleans LA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    My family and I were fortunate (?) enough to casually participate in the experience in 1998 on a road trip from the PNW to the Bluegrass.  The road trip itself was memorable for the biker interactions at every stop (those coming and going) and as above, the sea of Harleys was quite a site.  Went to Mt. Rushmore on a Friday night during the Sturgis rally and the quantity of Harleys (and a few outliers) that lined the main street of Keystone was incredible.  A one-off but fun-and I don't ride motorcycles.  I have had too many bad experiences ( car interactions) with just a bicycle.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just did a 200 mile motorcycle ride this morning through the cane fields, small towns and bayous of South Louisiana.  It was a blast.  We were on BMWs and a Moto Guzzi, but all bikers to a wave when they pass each other.
    Options
    I just did a 200 mile motorcycle ride this morning through the cane fields, small towns and bayous of South Louisiana.  It was a blast.  We were on BMWs and a Moto Guzzi, but all bikers to a wave when they pass each other.
    you say wave is that the left arm pointing down with 2 fingers showing? I am seeing that "sign" more and more often up here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    RPP, you're still in God's country , I love spending the fall in Il
    XL times 2
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I went two weeks ago before the crazy started. My girlfriend never rode on a bike in her life and we rode from Minnesota to Sturgis, Mt. Rushmore, Big Horns, Cody and then Colorado for a few days there. 6 days and 3000 miles.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    you say wave is that the left arm pointing down with 2 fingers showing? I am seeing that "sign" more and more often up here.
    Ron, it was a left arm gesture.  I don't know about the fingers.  There probably is some secret salute, but I just do it as a low hand wave.

Friend of mine named Norm led us and I was a little apprehensive as he has a reputation of hauling ass on his bike.  Turns out it wasn't too bad....we did some excessive speeding but nothing dangerous.  Windy roads were ecstatic to ride on
    Options
    I'm just a few hours down the road from Sturgis. Bike traffic definitely seems up compared to prior years. I'd like to see our community do more for bikers. I think it's a missed opportunity for revenue. Bikers spend lots of money while traveling on food, beer, wine, motels, shopping, mailing companies and more. We do get a fair amount bikers because it's on the same interstate as Sturgis, but we could be capitalizing on more than just the Sturgis rally. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    When asked, "What's between you and going to Sturgis?"
    I replied, "Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and western Tennessee."
    Been there done that for the fiftieth but could not work up motivation to go. Anybody have a box of motivation to sell? I need some.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE