Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Nickles on the Deckle.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
For anyone interested, here is the results of the KCBS competition that Aaron Franklin entered at Kansas Motor Speedway. His team name is Double Nickles on the Deckle. What this shows is that there is a huge difference in a great brisket that you want to sit down and fill up on and a comp style brisket. The brisket that you and your friends really enjoy is a totally different animal than the brisket that wins comps. Keep this in mind when you are watching BBQ Pitmasters or Pit Wars. No one disputes that Aarons brisket is the Holy Grail when it comes to a meal type brisket, but in comps it's the one hit wonder that usually wins. For the record, I was hoping that Aaron would win with his old school type brisket instead of someone injecting and running H&F. I guess because I'm older, I'm stuck in the past and I like the old school ways. It took a lot of guts on Aarons part to stick to what he knows and turn in a traditional style brisket instead of jazzing it up with voodoo and mojo. 

http://www.kcbs.us/event/4877/balloons-bbq-festival-at-kansas-speedway

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    17th - interesting.  Thanks for the link.  Like you - I'll continue to try and shoot for an old school brisket that tastes great and will fill up me and my family/friends saving the voodoo and mojo for the bedroom   =)  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wow...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    saving the voodoo and mojo for the bedroom   =)  
    In my prime, the ladies called me the magic man ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH

Thanks for the link.  Like you - I'll continue to try and shoot for an old school brisket that tastes great and will fill up me and my family/friends 
    As is proper my friend^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks like that was last year's results.  Man, competition must be fierce if he finished that low!  I was thinking about organizing a team, but that scares me.  Lol
  • SGH
    edited August 2015
    Dyal_SC said:
     I was thinking about organizing a team, but that scares me.  Lol
    Don't let it put you off. Comp food and restaurant food are two entirely different things. Ever tried Myrons comp brisket? It's not something that you want to sit down and fill up on and yet it consistently wins comps. If you haven't tried it, then take my word for it.  On the other side of the coin, Aarons brisket is exactly what you want to sit down and fill up on rather it wins comps or not. Two different end goals my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    I've had brisket from Franklin and it was the most amazing brisket I've ever eaten.  Brisket from Black's was a close second.  Never had Myron's though.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2015
    Isn't comp meat supposed to be "sweet, sweet, sweet, and then some heat or something"? Plus the saucing part. You'd get asked "not so nicely" to leave serving that where I'm from. That is probably the biggest thing keeping from me trying comps, but I am tagging along with my old Lacrosse coach's team at the Meadow Creek comp in a couple of weeks to help out. 
  • SGH
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've had brisket from Franklin and it was the most amazing brisket I've ever eaten.  Brisket from Black's was a close second.  Never had Myron's though.  
    Please don't take what I said out of context. Myron can cook brisket as good as anyone. However there are very few "comp" style briskest, ribs, etc, etc that you want to sit down and belly up on. They are so shot up and rubbed down that after a few bites you just can't hardly stomach it. Has nothing to do with Myrons cooking ability or his skills. Has has both in spades. 

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a friend that went to Myron's class not too long ago.  They made a SRF brisket.  He said he didn't really get any part in prepping the brisket for some reason, only eating it.  He said it was really good and tender but was injected with so much stuff it tasted more like pot roast than BBQ.  Who knows if this is actually how he does it in comp (probably not).  Personally I think the classes are just another big money maker for them and they probably don't give away too many secrets.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Isn't comp meat supposed to be "sweet, sweet, sweet, and then some heat or something"? Plus the saucing part. You'd get asked "not so nicely" to leave serving that where I'm from. 
    It's different from region to region. The goal is to figure out what particular "tastes" are favored in the area that you are in. Example, if you were in Central Texas, sugar would probably make you place dead last. That is the biggest trick, figuring out what people favor and serve it to them. Certain places like sweet, some like a vinegar base etc, etc... This is why comp guys usually follow a particular pattern. They have learned what each region likes and they try to stay in that comfort zone. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks like that was last year's results.  Man, competition must be fierce if he finished that low!  I was thinking about organizing a team, but that scares me.  Lol
    If you are organizing a team in SC I'm in.  It'd be good to have 3-4 guys to split the costs with instead of shelling out $800 all at once. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    I have a friend that went to Myron's class not too long ago.  They made a SRF brisket.  He said he didn't really get any part in prepping the brisket for some reason, only eating it.  He said it was really good and tender but was injected with so much stuff it tasted more like pot roast than BBQ.  Who knows if this is actually how he does it in comp (probably not).  Personally I think the classes are just another big money maker for them and they probably don't give away too many secrets.  
    I give you my word brother that Myron does not really cook his comp briskets to the preached 205 that he uses in his class. This is just a sure fire number to produce at least a good brisket when using the Waygu he recommends. I bet if you ask your friend his impression of the first bite that he was blown away. But this is where it usually ends and starts going down hill fast. Comp briskets are designed to get your attention with one or two bites. And you are correct, Myron is certainly not telling all. 

Status- Standing by.

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Why do comp briskets differ from ones in restaurants? To my simple brain, the best brisket is the one I want to fill up on, not take to bites and turn away.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I think it has more to do with the fact he has mastered the ability to cook in his kitchen. Cooking in a parking lot on a smoker you don't use everyday is a big disadvantage if you aren't used to it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Very illuminating.  Any idea how many comps Aaron's team tends to enter annually?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    tamu2009 said:
    Why do comp briskets differ from ones in restaurants? To my simple brain, the best brisket is the one I want to fill up on, not take to bites and turn away.
    A comp brisket is not going to be eaten, only tasted if you will. A comp brisket is heavily shot up and rubbed down to grab your attention with one bite only. Think of it this way, as good as a Hersheys chocolate bar is, it's not something that you want to try and fill up on when you are starving. If you are really hungry, usually chocolate will upset your stomach after a few bites. It's not a meal, it's a snack to be eaten after a good meal. Comp brisket is similar to this scenario. It's got a great taste, it's just to sweet or to whatever to really sit down and fill up on. Kind of like the Hershey bar. A traditional smoked brisket like Aaron's and the ones we all make at home are what wins out friends and family's approval, not comps. On the same token comp briskets wins competitions but they won't win any of us over at the supper table. Above you can replace the Hershey bar in the scenario with basically anything that is super sweet or has a very strong and overpowering taste. Usually this is something that you just can't sit down and fill up on when you are really hungry. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    mahenryak said:
    Very illuminating.  Any idea how many comps Aaron's team tends to enter annually?
    To my knowledge, none. Before his restaraunt took off he use to enter a few. He done this more out of curiosity and promotion than anything else. If you watch some of the video, he looks right at the camera and says: "Wouldn't it be something with us making a career out of brisket if our brisket didn't place". He knew up front from his previous competitions years ago what it took to win but stuck to his guns. I admire that. 

Status- Standing by.

• mahenryak
    ^^^thank you^^

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited August 2015
    SGH said:
    It took a lot of guts on Aarons part to stick to what he knows and turn in a traditional style brisket instead of jazzing it up with voodoo and mojo. 
    *110% agree*. 

I think it took a ton of guts just to enter and put himself out there, knowing that
    1) He probably would not win
    2) The droves of people who find joy in tearing down anyone successful would have a field day with anything but a win.

I wish everyone here had access to the 2015 season of, "BBQ With Franklin".

He did an episode on this competition a couple weeks back.   He flat out said to his buddy before the competition, "What if I come in dead last..."   then he was very up front with his "right down the middle" finish.

Funniest thing I've seen on TV all year was on his "Whole Hog" episode when he went from being totally serious about how to prep the hog to giving it a shoulder massage and slap on the butt.

Links:

(odd - looks like IMDB data is missing the episodes from the 2013 season...)

• SGH
    SmokeyPitt said:
     Personally I think the classes are just another big money maker for them and they probably don't give away too many secrets.  
    No doubt that the classes are an extension of his money making machine. His well known name and established credentials make him a huge draw. I can not speak personally about his cooking classes as I haven't attended one. However I will offer this in his defense. He use to offer a whole hog prep course. I have not attended it either but I have seen pics and videos from it from people that I know. He does a outstanding job sharing real useful tricks and techniques that you probably won't pick up from anyone else. I have saw Myron prep hogs in person (1994 & 1996) and what I saw in the videos and pics was right on par with what he does in real life. Not that I'm a Myron fan, but I give credit where credit is due. He is the best that I have ever seen at prepping whole hog. Followed by Melissa Cookston. 

Status- Standing by.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2015
    I think you have to realize their are some very good BBQ pitmasters that compete.  I see some of the best our state has to offer every time we go out to enter a contest.   Being a successful restaurateur is a different skill set,  I would consider that Aaron is very good at both.  Franklin's has made him famous, but kudos to him for coming out and putting it all on the line against other good pitmasters. Competition BBQ can be very humbling to say the least.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    Competition BBQ can be very humbling to say the least.
    I agree with the above. I have saw what I know was great food cooked by very skilled people lose. More often than not, it's not the cooks ability to "cook" that wins. It's having the right flavor profile and drawing the right judges. Aaron not winning in brisket reinforces my thoughts on this. He turned in the same brisket that has made him world famous and it lost to several people that I bet most don't even know who they are. 

Status- Standing by.

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    The burnt fingure team seams to be a team that produce more all around than any of the teams. Any info on who they are or where from? 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Thanks for sharing this. It's not surprising to me at all. If you went back and took a one game snapshot of any great athlete, there's a chance that it would be a bad game. Peyton Manning is a great QB but if you judged him solely at the Super Bowl, it wouldn't be pretty. Franklin cooks a mean brisket (so I've heard) but that doesn't mean that he's expected to win every single time.  
  • mahenryak
    Roadpuke0 said:
    The burnt fingure team seams to be a team that produce more all around than any of the teams. Any info on who they are or where from? 
    I found this on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BurntFingerBBQ

Founded in 2008
    Company Overview
    "Burnt Finger BBQ is a competitive barbecue team from Kansas City. We travel the country competing in cook-offs sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society."

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2015
    At the end of the day sheep do what sheep do  :) 
    I'm not a huge foodie.....nothing could be 4+ hour good..... I know many disagree.
    I'd rather go run a few miles.

I am enjoying his book though, hard back $35 version  =)
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    SkinnyV said:
    I'm not a huge foodie.....nothing could be 4+ hour good..... I know many disagree.

It's not a sheep thing and it's not a foodie thing. It's just the best brisket you'll ever eat. You cook pork butt don't you? That takes a lot longer than 4 hours to be good.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    SkinnyV said:

It's not a sheep thing and it's not a foodie thing. It's just the best brisket you'll ever eat. You cook pork butt don't you? That takes a lot longer than 4 hours to be good.
    I am sure its the best , I kind of meant the sheep thing in jest. Like many things , the herd can make decisions for others very easily
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SkinnyV said:
    I'm not a huge foodie.....nothing could be 4+ hour good..... 
    I have cooked my fair share of sheep before. They are actually very good when slow roasted over oak ;)
    Brother there are many things that are more than worth a 4 hour wait. Heck I can think of a few that are worth a 24+ wait. But I do like to eat. 

Status- Standing by.