Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner - Lexington, KY

Options
2»

Comments

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    Welcome. I am a Kentuckian living in San Diego. I have no love for Nests. I had one topple on me, and turned a large BGE into shards. I have a table that actually protects my Egg.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • anish3232
    anish3232 Posts: 35
    Options
    Steve753 said:
    Welcome. I am a Kentuckian living in San Diego. I have no love for Nests. I had one topple on me, and turned a large BGE into shards. I have a table that actually protects my Egg.
    Steve,
    I'm talking about the table nest.... I have one under the BGE and between the table. 
    Lexington, KY
    Large Green Egg July 2015 - Custom Granite & Stucco Table
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    anish3232...I understand !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• anish3232
    Options
    First real BBQ this weekend.

Indian Chicken Tandoori Legs
    Indian Vindaloo Rack of Lamb
    Indian Tikka Vegetable Kabobs
    Filet Mignon (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil)

Everything was great and the egg kept everything moist and juicy compared to my old propane grill.

Lexington, KY
  • kywaterfowler
    Options
    Welcome fellow Kentucky egger!!  You need to get you a Smokeware Chimney Cap now.  I recently got one and love it.
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Steve753 said:
    I have no love for Nests. I had one topple on me, and turned a large BGE into shards.
    Yikes!  @Steve753 , how did that happen? 

Love the unique granite and stucco combination.  
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    anish3232...Looks eggcellent brother !!!!  Making me hungry just looking at the pics !!!  We need smellavision for this one !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome, nice table, great cooks.

I think the nest itself is probably enough, I'd just keep an eye on it for awhile. You could put a smaller tile under there if you want. My experience with the nest has been good. I use the MM on a plastic workforce table. No issues, yet...
  • scruffee81
    scruffee81 Posts: 85
    Options
    great looking table. welcome to your new Eggdiction
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome aboard. First cooks look great. How heavy is that table? Looks like it weighs a ton.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• anish3232
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Welcome aboard. First cooks look great. How heavy is that table? Looks like it weighs a ton.
    Table probably weighs 250-300 pounds easily.  It is easy to move with whatever wheels came with it.
    Lexington, KY
  • anish3232
    Options

Welcome fellow Kentucky egger!!  You need to get you a Smokeware Chimney Cap now.  I recently got one and love it.
    I am thinking about it for sure.  Every time I opened the egg the top would shift a little, maybe needs to be tightened. 
    Lexington, KY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Definitely check all your hinge/spring and band bolts.   There shouldn't be any shifting.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anish3232
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Definitely check all your hinge/spring and band bolts.   There shouldn't be any shifting.
    I did not mean the top of the grill.  I was referring to the black metal top that controls air flow.
    Lexington, KY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Got it-here's a link that will show you how to align the DFMT so it doesn't move when you open the dome:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm  (see # 47).  BTW this site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info and much, much more.  Give it a good look sometime.  Chances are an answer to your question is in there someplace.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anish3232
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Got it-here's a link that will show you how to align the DFMT so it doesn't move when you open the dome:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm  (see # 47).  BTW this site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info and much, much more.  Give it a good look sometime.  Chances are an answer to your question is in there someplace.
    Awesome, this should help in the future.
    Lexington, KY
  • anish3232
    Options
    Really wanted the smokeware chimney, but its out of stock until Sept 2015.
    Lexington, KY
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Welcome. Nice table, fits your outdoor area nicely
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    I'll need the recipe for that vindaloo lamb dish
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • anish3232
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rmercier said:
    I'll need the recipe for that vindaloo lamb dish
    It's fairly easy, this is roughly how much I use for 1 rack of lamb (of course salt as needed):
    • 2.5 tablespoons - Vindaloo Paste (I used Patak's but whatever is available at your Indian grocery store should be sufficient)
    • 2.5 tablespoons - Yogurt (plain)
    • 1 teaspoon - Cumin Powder (can be found at the Indian grocery store)
    • 1.5-2 teaspoon - Coriander Powder (can be found at the Indian grocery store)
    • 1 or as needed teaspoon - Garam Masala (Indian grocery store - comes in several brands)
    • 2 tablespoons - canola oil
    • 1 tablespoon - garlic
    • 1 or as needed teaspoon - salt
    • 1 teaspoon or as needed teaspoon - finely chopped green chilies

Lexington, KY
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ounce of prevention.......
    UK class of 1981
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber