Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchtaters and new wok

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,638
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
cooked a spatch chicken tonight with sliced Yukon golds and sweet onions tossed in evoo and fresh rosemary below the chicken. Kept it simple, but this was the first time I cooked the potatoes under the chicken for the duration and let all of this drippings soak in.  First time, won't be the last.

My new wok got here from the Wok Shop in SF, so I seasoned it with some flaxseed oil.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I've done veggies under a pork tenderloin many times, now I need to do chicken!

that woks gonna get blacker and blacker with use. I really need to man up and break mine out. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks to be delicious!  I did spatched chicken over veggies and the veggies finished greasy. How did you like yours?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice.  I've had good luck using the same method.  I gotta try those Yukon Golds.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Legume
    Options
    @bgebrent they weren't too greasy, just like I had cooked them with some butter.  Great flavor.

@theyolksonyou I'm looking forward to using the wok.  I have a smaller one with a plastic handle that I can't use on the egg, now I just need to get a spider and get cooking.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    That's one plump looking bird..  Nice
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That bird does look good. Now let's see some woking Homie. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thanks @Legume, I'll try again.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Great looking grub my friend. Solid all the way around.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 486
    Options
    @Legume
    Try some squash and zucchini like that next time. They are excellent
    Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Options
    @Legume
    Try some squash and zucchini like that next time. They are excellent
    Yes, this I have done, although have found the family doesn't like squash that smokey, we usually like more of a grilled, al dente cook for zucchini, etc.  I probably need to revisit this and just add it later in the cook, maybe in a grill basket to get a little of the love from the chicken drippings just before pulling the chicken, then cook it hot while the chicken rests.
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    Everytime I cook veggies under my chicken everything tasty great, but I can't get the chicken skin crispy. Any idea how to get the best of both worlds?
    Denver, CO
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Man I love the concept of Spatch taters/ vegetables....but I have to admit, I am much more open to beef cooks with this methodology as opposed to Chicken. That yard-bird scares me from a Salmonella risk. I know it gets it up to temp, but have always been told never to store chicken over other items. It always goes on bottom. I just have that in my head with the cook. That said, looks fantastic. I love to place veggies in the drip pan when I do beef ribs. Same concept....all good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow