Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maz_N Smoker for salmon?

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Been reading over Thirdeye's salmon nova lox article and going to get a unit.  Not sure what size to get. 6x6, 5x8, other? $35 looks about the going rate.  Anyone want to sell or trade a used one?

Should work for cheese also. Any thoughts are eggpreciated.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 486
    Options
    I've got the 5x8. I'd recommend it - you can fill it part of the way if don't need the full duration of smoke.  With the 6x6 if you needed more smoke, you would have to reload. 

I've done salmon, cheese, bacon, and nuts all with good results.
    Austin, TX
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    +1 on the 5x8.  I don't believe you can use pellets in the 6x6, only dust.  The 5x8 or tubes can use either.  Wouldn't part with mine; it gets lots of use for cheese, bacon, nuts...
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    +1 on the 5x8.  I don't believe you can use pellets in the 6x6, only dust.  The 5x8 or tubes can use either.  Wouldn't part with mine; it gets lots of use for cheese, bacon, nuts...
    I stand corrected.  The tubes can't use dust, so the 5x8 is the most versatile, IMO.
    The damp PNW 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I stand corrected.  The tubes can't use dust, so the 5x8 is the most versatile, IMO.
    What's the advantage of dust or pellets?  The tube looks like it would be handier to stick somewhere in the Egg.  Isn't it?
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 486
    Options
    @Theophan
    The tube is made to make additional smoke at cooking temps. I don't believe it can be used to cold smoke.

not sure about dust vs pellets though
    Austin, TX
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options

What's the advantage of dust or pellets?  The tube looks like it would be handier to stick somewhere in the Egg.  Isn't it?
    For me it's just availability.  Pellets are everywhere and easy to use; dust can be a little more messy.  When the 5x8 is fully loaded, I can get over 10 hours of smoke.
    The damp PNW 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    Options
    @Theophan
    The tube is made to make additional smoke at cooking temps. I don't believe it can be used to cold smoke.

not sure about dust vs pellets though
    The tube can be used for cold smoking. It doesn't function any differently than the pellet tray.

I use my short tube for cold smoking cheese when I just need an hour or two of smoke.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies!  I've been happier, lately, with the smokiness I'm getting from the Eggs without it, but I still might consider one of those tubes just to add even more smoke to some cooks.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have the 5x8 and just used it last weekend to cold smoke some salmon - worked perfectly. I had great smoke for the full 8 hours and still have pellets leftover - never been able to get that same type of smoke (or for that length) of time with just chips and chunks without getting "too much smoke" on the food.

This is how much I had left at 6pm - after starting at 9am. I was using the Bear Paw brand of pellets (alder).

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 on 5x8 works like a champ. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,558
    Options
    This may cost me some coin before the sun sets...
    Very interested.  Do the pellets/dust/chips self-regulate (burn rate) for cold-smoking, or should you be adjusting the upper/lower settings on the Egg itself?  If so, what settings?
    Thanks!  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Botch said:
    Very interested.  Do the pellets/dust/chips self-regulate (burn rate) for cold-smoking, or should you be adjusting the upper/lower settings on the Egg itself?  If so, what settings?
    Thanks!  
    I've only used mine once or twice but I opened my vents fully, and  if you are looking for more smoke in less time the recommendations I read were to lite it from both ends.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Botch said:
    Thanks!  
    Vents fully open.  The pellets just smolder and generate a little heat.  A while back @The Cen-Tex Smoker did a pretty good tutorial on the AMPS.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158809/a-maze-n-smoker-tutorial/p1

The damp PNW 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    So you just set it down inside the bge and smoke away?  Interesting.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Yep but I would not set it on lump...I seem to recall some stories of it lighting the candle and with the vents wide open, it hits inferno pretty quick...probably wouldn't ruin the amps, but your cold smoke would be a goner.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I usually put it down on the spider portion of my AR.  Then I put my stone in between it and whatever I'm cold smoking to make sure it stays in the cold smoking temp range.  I also fully wrap the stone in foil cause it makes some serious tar like sh*t that sticks to the bottom of the stone.  I would also recommend not doing it in the middle of a summer day - just the ambient temperature out side could cause your cheese to melt in the egg.
    The damp PNW 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I just put my small cast iron grid on the lump and then the pellet smoker on that - with vents wide open on top and bottom - worked like a charm
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker