Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hows this for an excuse

Options
For fathers day my wife bought a large egg for me. I've wanted one for many years but was never able to justify the cost. Not hard to tell one of us is a saver and the other a spender:) Anyway I've had a couple of cooks so far and am learning how the thing works, fortunately it is forgiving. On to the excuse, Saturday morning I went to fire the egg up and the ceramic cap is on the ground in pieces. I live in the country with lots of critters, opossums, raccoons, etc. Not a good way to start the day but a very good way to justify buying the smokeware chimney cap. Unfortunately they are out of stock and wont ship until the end of the month.

Parker County, Texas

LGE

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. We would love to see pics of your cooks! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that. While you are waiting for your chimney cap to ship, when you shut down the Egg, tear off a piece of aluminum foil or two and lay it flat over the top and then put on you daisy wheel to get a better air tight seal. I did that for a few months before getting another ceramic top years ago. Works well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Hit some other stores, someone has to have them that's less than a 30-mile trip!  I can name about 10 places between my office and my house that have the Smokeware caps.  If the ceramic one is in just a few pieces, some JB Weld or ceramic adhesive will work in a pinch.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome sir!  I'm glad you're here!  Your wife is a keeper!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome - too bad about the cap, varmits can be trouble!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Don't feel too bad about the cap.  Accidents happen.  Like when I was cleaning my rifle and accidentally blew a hole in my 46" flat screen.  Had to go out and buy a 65" replacement.  Oh well....what ya gonna do?

Living Large and XL

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @mandranch - If you are in that much of a pinch, message me and I'll grab one and ship it to you from one of my local places.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    If you get another ceramic cap put a piece of felt gasket around the top of lid where the cap fits, it will snug it up nicely. I guess you can call that experience.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    In the meantime, if you season the daisy wheel like you would a cast iron skillet, it will help you avoid rust
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  $hit happens.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Welcome!  I never got a ceramic cap with my Large, and have always used the daisy wheel to extinguish, works fine.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  I've never had the ceramic cap out of the box.  Use the daisy wheel until I bought a smokeware.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Damn Racoons. :smiley: welcome. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options

Bet that went over good with the little lady!

lilwooty said:
    Don't feel too bad about the cap.  Accidents happen.  Like when I was cleaning my rifle and accidentally blew a hole in my 46" flat screen.  Had to go out and buy a 65" replacement.  Oh well....what ya gonna do?

Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• madranch
    Options
    Thank you all. Initially I was a little pissed but didn't take long to realize it meant upgrade:)  She's definitely a keeper, 4 days till our 27th anniversary. I wonder If I can get away with a good egged dinner.

Parker County, Texas

LGE

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've not taken off my daisy wheel in months. My cap serves as a complementary decorative item on the deck rail. 
    New Albany, Ohio