Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another shout out to Ron for another gasket

Options
this time for a small Rutland for the sbge. 
Dont like the seam, but a little more silicone and we'll be fine!

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @RRP is the man plain and simple
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

I could give you some pointers on cleaning up that butt joint tomorrow if you wish. I just have to get to bed tonight. OK? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I could give you some pointers on cleaning up that butt joint tomorrow if you wish. I just have to get to bed tonight. OK? 

If you are reading this before starting the application then here's what I suggest:

When you first see the Rutland ends you will think they look rough as it starts to unravel after being cut, but if you take a sharp pair of scissors they will cut the Rutland. I suggest you cut a blunt end at the first part that you start laying in the bed of Permatex but don’t fret if it’s not perfect. Then by the time you are finishing the application you can again cut it bluntly, but leave a little excess length so you can really butt the joint together - don’t make it a mound but do make sure it’s a dense joint! 

OTOH since yours is already applied and the Permatex has cured:

Take a thin bladed putty knife and carefully lift the Rutland at the jointed butts for just an inch in each direction. Using sharp scissors snip the joint clear through to create a sharp blunt end on both sides. Blow away any waste and loose fibers. Apply a new bed of Permatex and carefully press the joint in place, close the dome and let it cure for 24 hours. Then if any "hairs" are still evident that still bother you take a butane lighter and they will burn away. 

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Is anyone else nervous about using a Rutland gasket? 
  • RRP
    Options

Since you lifted that letter from a long report authored by The Naked Whiz then it seems only fair that the entire report and evaluation be made available to interested parties with open minds so they can make their own informed decision. Here is that link:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/rutlandgasketsafety.htm
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Is anyone else nervous about using a Rutland gasket? 
    no
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Actually, @jcboynton, you're wrong. Humpty dumpty is apparently nervous about using a rutland. Posted that letter three times. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I use Rutland gaskets from @RRP on two eggs, large and mini.
    No concerns here.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    I'm more concerned with what's in my food. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Damn, is it august already?  Ron is the bestest ever.
    Options
    Damn, is it august already? 
    It is. And sadly it's our hottest month down here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.