Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin

Options
GRN96WS6
GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
edited August 2015 in Pork
Cooked up two smaller tenderloins tonight, need a little more work as some was still pink but overall it was damn good.  I cooked it at 375ish til internal of 140 and let it rest for a while but some was still pink.  Seasoned with some Dizzy Dust.

This pic was because I waited til it was dark to start cooking.....laziness took over ha!  And the bugs were pissin' me off!!  Citronella win!

Done

Plated withe some steamed broccoli seasoned with season salt, and fresh cucumber with a little sea salt.

Tommy
LBGE

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother!  Nice cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    @bgebrent it wasn't a fail just wish end to end it was cooked the same....the ends seemed to be more pink which doesn't make sense seeing that those are usually the smaller pieces...oh well with practice comes perfection!
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I agree.  Makes me wonder about the anatomy of your fire.  Any other details?
  • GRN96WS6
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Other than I'm still new to the BGE (only had it twoish months)  no  :)

Fire seems pretty even all over and I did cook them direct.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Please explain your set up. Indirect or direct, raised or felt level, let it rest pre cook to room temp and did you rest post cook.  There is a learning curve!  Best one I've ever ridden!
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    I do tenderloins a lot- those look great. High heat 450-500 to get a nice crust. A little pink is ok in a quality pork tenderloin 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    @bgebrent  I did not let it rest long before tossing it on, maybe 20 mins from fridge.  I did let it rest post cook.  It was direct not raised.

@Wanasmoke I agree but some of the slices were more pink than I think is ok.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I agree with @Wanasmoke!  Pink pork is fine.  Internal temp is key to finished product. Get a thermapen so you can get near instant temp.  It works for every cook.  If your pork is 145 degrees and plan 10 degree resting increase, you'll have a perfect product.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @GRN96WS6,  ok.  20 minutes rest is short but reasonable!  Last best guess is you had a good central fire with high heat and a cooler peripheral fire zone yielding pink pork. How long was your egg burning before you put the protein on?
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    It was burning for near 15 mins before tossing it on. I do have a thermapen and I poked in three places in each loin, edge center edge and it all read 140ish.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Well, I've never stabilized an egg temp in 15 minutes, usually takes 45 which makes me think  you had a fire but not a stable burn.  But your thermapen numbers were close but low. Pink = low.  I think your pork was cool going on and think that's why you're product was pink. Contributing factor was your fire. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I wouldn't change a thing. They are done to perfection. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I wouldn't change a thing. They are done to perfection. 
    +1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The pink on the ends is probably nitrous oxide activity - aka "smoke ring".  Pork steaks should be cooked at the pink range anyway, so win-win.
    ^^what he said.  there'sno way those were still 'pink' as in 'not cooked through" at the ends.  it's as Nola says.

I had  someone once question whether some turkey (which I was serving off the egg) was done ("fully cooked", in their mind) because there was pink on the outside.

I asked them how in the hell the outside could still be uncooked while the inner meat was.

received a blank stare for my efforts at allowing them to resolve the answer for themselves.  they did not (1. figure it out, or 2. eat the meat).
    -J
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    140-145 results in pink pork but its safe to eat at that point and darn good if I do say so myself.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    One of my go-to outdoor cooks. Yours looks great!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    GRN96WS6 said:
    @bgebrent it wasn't a fail just wish end to end it was cooked the same....the ends seemed to be more pink which doesn't make sense seeing that those are usually the smaller pieces...oh well with practice comes perfection!
    If you are going to cook two tenderloins at a time you can tie them together, large end to small end like tying a roast, they will cook more evenly.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg