Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers - What's your favorite way to prepare the beef?

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Just got my beef custom burger blend with 25% of each of the following:

Wagyu Chuck
Dry Aged Steak Ends
Prime Hanger Steak
Prime Filet Tail

What's the best way to prepare the burgers for grilling? I've just made patties from the beef but it didn't turn out great. Was missing something but I don't know what.

Should I add bread crumbs? Eggs? Something else? 

Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Bread crumbs and eggs don't belong in a hamburger; maybe meatloaf.

What seemed to be the problem with yours? Too dry, not enough flavor or something else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Make a patty, don't overwork the meat. Add salt and pepper. Put it on the grill.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HofstraJet
    Options
    The meat seemed dry and didn't hold together well I think. It was last year so I don't recall exactly. Will try again today with just the beef to get a baseline and go from there. Thanks!  
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The meat seemed dry and didn't hold together well I think. It was last year so I don't recall exactly. Will try again today with just the beef to get a baseline and go from there. Thanks!  
    I'd suggest at least 20% fat in your ground meat (i.e., 80/20). Much less than that and you can get the dry results that you mentioned.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Grass fed beef and Holy Cow from meat church!
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Salt and Pepper, and I like worcestershire sauce.  I put the sauce on when the burger is put on the grill, a good amount because I only put it on one side.
    Works great for me.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Make beer can bacon burgers they are Awesome!! If you want to see a video of how to make them go to BBQ pit boys and look under recipes with bacon. These burgers are AWESOME! 
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I'd suggest at least 20% fat in your ground meat (i.e., 80/20). Much less than that and you can get the dry results that you mentioned.
    +1
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • HofstraJet
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I made the burgers a few times to varying degrees of doneness and all were a bit on the dry side. As the fat percentage was mentioned several times, I went and calculated the fat content based on the burger builder page at Flannery's where I purchased them.  Turns out I only have 9% fat in the burger! :o  

Wagyu Chuck 15%
    Dry Aged Steak Ends
    10%
    Prime Hanger Steak
    5%
    Prime Filet Tail
    6%

Time to make a fattier burger. B) Gonna add Prime Beef Rib Cap Fat Blend, Beef Suet Blend, or Wagyu Fat Blend to my next build.
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    I like your spirit but just throwing money at a burger does not mean it will turn out. Here is the blend I have been using for years and it turns out fantastic every time: 1lb sirloin for texture, 1lb brisket for flavor, and the meat trimmed from 1 ox tail. I promise, this will be the best burger you have ever tasted. Read some of my older posts on burgers.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I've been following the Umami way and have gotten more compliments on my burgers than I can ever recall.   Of course I didn't really get any before, so that's not saying too much.

2 lbs Ground Beef
    2 TBS Fish Sauce
    2 Fresh minced garlic cloves
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper

Mix into the meat, let it sit.   For more intense flavor I've been letting mine sit overnight, but at least 30 min-hour.  Form into patties with as little contact as possible.

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Eggs do belong in hamburger. But the must be fried and placed on top of the cooked patties.