Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a new table...something different (pic heavy)

I built a standard BGE table when I got my first Large back in 2012.  Since then, we moved and my BGE dreams got bigger.  I started scheming plans for something different.  Those plans were centered around the one Large until the MiniMax came about...I just had to have one.  Well, I like things that are balanced, and after meeting and visiting with @Mickey in Salado this year, I was determined to get a second large also.  So that brings me to the project...

I got my inspiration from www.wwoo.nl/en/.  If I could have simply purchase their stuff, I probably would have, but it appears to only be available in Europe.  It is clean and contemporary and would nicely match our house which is a "modern farmhouse" design.

My bride and I did all the work together.  She is a real trooper and supports all (ok most) of my wild ideas.

I humbly offer you the following:

Here is the formwork and rebar.  I also used sonotubes to create a void and use less concrete.

Here we have poured and finished the concrete.  It took 8.5 80lb bags.  Did I mention it was 95 degrees and about 95% humidity when we did this?  Reference earlier statement about my wife.

I setup a soaker hose and wet cured the concrete for a week to protect the finish.  Probably was not necessary, but I was not going to do anything on the project during the week anyhow...

Here I have mounted all the table nests.  The MM will sit on a Medium sized nest.  Again, I like a uniform look and it is not a big deal for me to take it in and out of the MM carrier for trips.  The texture of the concrete and the "bug holes" give it nice character I think.

I set a lead female concrete anchor in the center of each pedestal and installed a stainless steel machine screw.  I used silicone caulk at each hole because I didn't want water sitting in there.  After looking at the pic, I wish I would have also installed a stainless fender washer and nut to cover the silicone...oh well.

Here is how they look...2012 Large on right, 2015 MM in middle, and a week old Large on the left.

And another shot...I went with the Egg Mates and am pretty happy with their stability.  I am going to enhance them by replacing the junk wood BGE uses with teak sometime soon.  I am also planning on enlarging them a bit.

I set anchors and stainless steel hooks on each side of the taller pedestal for grates and accessories.

Here they are buttoned up.  I already had the BGE cover, which work pretty well for the MM.

And I wouldn't dare post all this without the obligatory bottle opener...even though I drink the majority of my beer outta cans.

So there you have it.  I acknowledge that it is not for everyone, but I hope most folks like it.

Houston, Texas
Large, MiniMax, and another Large.

Comments