Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a new table...something different (pic heavy)

Options
2»

Comments

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Looks fantastic!! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Neat idea/project!

Except...it looks like the felt line of the MiniMax is about 1/4' higher than the Large's.  :)

Also, thanks for that link to the WWOO site. That's spawning some ideas - none of which will likely ever be built but a boy's gotta dream right?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Well done. 

I might have added a couple more concrete blocks on both sides for additional counter space, especially when more than one egg is fired up. 

I'll send you a pic of my large nest! 

..........nevermind
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Simple designs are the hardest to create ... yours looks great.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    @dboram (it's nick) - Awesome job as always - but you didn't post all of the planning and drawing information that went into getting this entire build together, so there's even more credit to be given there.

Also - I've got some spare IPE (2x6) in the garage if you want it for the wings, totally forgot about that this weekend.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • thegreeneggeffect
    Options
    Awesome looking setup!!
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    @HoustonEgger Thanks bro...yes, lets talk about that IPE.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    edited July 2015
    Options
    COOL! With that next to the last picture I thought "Holy CRAP 2 Muslim women and child in burkas - hope they aren't suicidal!" 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
     That being said...nothing a case of beer and a 20 lb sledge wouldn't take care of.
    I don't know, with rebar and water curing, you built it right.  It will only get stronger through the years - while you will be going the other way. :p
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Nice Idea, won't burn, no yearly maintenance, cool idea!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Excellent!  Thanks for sharing that build.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dboram
    Options
    @RRP Too funny.  Did ya notice that Rutland on the older large?  Went on without a hitch...thank you.  I still have to do the other two, but couldn't bring myself to cut/grind off the perfectly good gaskets that are there.
    Houston, Texas
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Nice Job
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A really cool set up.  I like seeing eggs on top of a counter top or granite slab because it really shows off the shape of the eggs.   You make them look like museum pieces and sculptures in a garden.  
    Nice job!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    That is a really cool setup, sleek and modern looking.  Now being an absolutely new guy here who has not even fired his eggs up yet, I do have a question.

I see that the table nest is attached to the piling, but how are the eggs held down.  I thought I had seen here that it was inadvisable to use only a table nest.

Like I said I am a real novice when it comes to Eggs so please don't shoot me for asking the question.  I really do like the way you have your eggs set up.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yep, really sweet! So, the mm gets the gold medal?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Fantastic!
    I have the wood bought for my own table, no cutting yet.
    I've slammed on the brakes.
    Hmmm. 
    Again, Fantastic!!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    dboram - Hey Amazing set up, but looking at the covers, i see they are cover mates WITHOUT the elastic on the bottom.  I'm looking for a cover for my XL BGE in a nest, but all i found from covermates are the ones w/ elastic... how did you get them without elastic???
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • dboram
    Options
    @Sonny3 Gravity and the "saddle" created by the nests is it.  I was worried about the same thing, so I mocked the L and MM on cmu blocks and a 16x16 paver for several months. They were solid and can tell you the current config is rock solid. I see the biggest risk being if they were to tumble over backwards from the moment force cause by opening the lid, but there is the top rail of the fence behind to catch them...and again, they are rock solid.  I am satisfied with the risk level.
    Houston, Texas
  • dboram
    Options
    @nutshellml Don't know really...didn't even notice that option.  Mine showed up with a draw string at the bottom that I am not using.  Call them...maybe?  Btw...I really like them. They seem to be better quality construction than the BGE one and have something like a 7 year warranty.
    Houston, Texas
  • dboram
    Options
    @Botch Do it...do something wild.  As my bro @HoustonEgger stated, I had just as much fun in the planning, scheming, and dreaming phase.  Now I have to get really serious about cooking...
    Houston, Texas
  • dboram
    Options

thetrim said:
    You make them look like museum pieces and sculptures in a garden.
    That's a big compliment.  Thank you.  Hadn't thought of it that way, and might be a bit of a stretch, but it's along the lines of flavor I was after.
    Houston, Texas
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited July 2015
    Options