Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Yet another Yeti tale

RiverDoc
RiverDoc Posts: 572
Ok after watching @SGH s post I decided to give the hopper a test. after hearing about the Yeti ice I bought a 4lb block. Thanks @dboram for the suggestion. Our temp has been high 80s 60% plus humidity. Filled Hopper with 2 10lb bags of ice, 1 4lb Yeti ice and 2 tasty drinks. Started at 13:00. opened bag 4 times a day. Pics are @8hrs, 20,32,44,56. Still a huge block of ice that is stuck to the yeti ice  almost basketball size. In all fairness to @SGH this was setting on my deck and not in all day direct sun or in a black truck. Ill let it go tomorrow and see how it ends up, so far pretty happy. For long trips the tundra will get the job but for overnight/weekend stuff, fishing or swim meets i like it.
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing by for your final thoughts and findings brother Doc. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I really want one of the soft coolers. Thanks for the test
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I just got to put my Hopper through a little test. I pre cooled it, then I put some drinks in it with about 12 pounds of ice. We went to a theme park and it sat in our hot car all day. Outside temp was about 94. There was some melt but still a lot of ice. The next day there were still a few reminents of solid ice in the water. I don't think it will hold ice like a yeti tundra but it is a lot better than any other cheap cooler or soft cooler I have ever used. Hoppers are expensive but you get what you pay for. Just like an egg. 
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • RiverDoc
    OK so this is what I came home to today. at hour 76 i opened the hopper and removed the drinks. you can see the last large piece of ice there were some little pieces of ice as well in the water. the drinks were perfectly chilled in the ice water. My thoughts are this, yes its expensive but I feel this is a great product. It wont hold temp like my a tundra but for portability its great. Extremely well built. I also think the Yeti ice makes a big difference. I have taken the hopper to all day swim meets and on fishing trips with a drastic difference in melting. the Hopper still preformed great but within a couple hours of being placed in the bag the ice froze to the Yeti ice creating a larger block. I have no experience with the Artic Ice but i am very interested in how they would do. So for me I'm extremely happy with the Hopper as well as the Yeti Ice.
    -Todd
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Curious what others think of the Yeti Ice. I don't have a Yeti cooler but do have a Polar Bear and I have not found the Yeti Ice to stay any colder than your basic cheap blue ice cooler pack. Anyone else have thoughts?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Curious what others think of the Yeti Ice. I don't have a Yeti cooler but do have a Polar Bear and I have not found the Yeti Ice to stay any colder than your basic cheap blue ice cooler pack. Anyone else have thoughts?
    I read some reviews on the yeti ice and after doing so I went with artic ice
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Curious what others think of the Yeti Ice. I don't have a Yeti cooler but do have a Polar Bear and I have not found the Yeti Ice to stay any colder than your basic cheap blue ice cooler pack. Anyone else have thoughts?
    But, but it says Yeti? :confused: 
  • RiverDoc
    I also want to try an Artic Ice the demos look good. I might have to try this with a cheap blue ice also. I do think the 4lb size might help?
    -Todd
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    All those "blue ice" products are made with water and propylene glycol.  Plus some binders and dye.
    All those "blue ice" products are made with water and propylene glycol.  Plus some binders and dye.
    Pretty sure the yeti contains rainbow sprinkles and unicorn urine. 
  • SGH
    RiverDoc said:
     I do think the 4lb size might help?
    Agree^^^^^^^. The bigger the better. I honestly feel that it was the size difference that allowed my Pelican 95 to pass the 10 day ice test that my Yeti 50 failed. There is a old saying that says: There is no replacement for displacement. I feel that it applies to coolers as well. The bigger the better my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RiverDoc
    But, but it says Yeti? :confused: 
    The Yeti family has grown like my egg family keeps growing. Hi I'm Todd and I have a problem.
    -Todd
  • theyolksonyou
    SGH said:
    RiverDoc said:
    Agree^^^^^^^. The bigger the better. I honestly feel that it was the size difference that allowed my Pelican 95 to pass the 10 day ice test that my Yeti 50 failed. There is a old saying that says: There is no replacement for displacement. I feel that it applies to coolers as well. The bigger the better my friend. 
    Is that like, "The solution to your pollution is dilution?"
  • SGH
    Allow me to ponder that thought for a while brother yolk ;)

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    SGH said:
    Allow me to ponder that thought for a while brother yolk ;)
    That comes from yarn manufacturing for carpet. Basically, if you eff it up, eff it all up the same so it all dyes the same color.  Totally off topic, but what the hell?....
  • For the Hopper I use 2 of the small yeti ice's. instead of 1 large and I like that combo. great for food as well.

I just took the Hopper on its first beach trip and it did the job. Obviously, portability is the key in this situation.  Worked like a champ. We were opening it all day pounding beers but I'd just drain the water the following morning and it would last all day regardless how many times we opened it.

I will say I was most impressed with the colsters. After using them at home I thought they were a waste of money but those things are unreal on the beach boat or around the pool. We commented all wkd how our cold our drinks were over a period of time. 

Regardless of what cooler you use, the colster is impressive for outdoor drinking in 100 degree heat.
  • SGH
    RiverDoc said:
    The Yeti family has grown like my egg family keeps growing. Hi I'm Todd and I have a problem.
    Hello Todd, I'm SGH and I have a problem as well. I can't decide between the Yeti 105 and 125. However one of them is in my very near future. It will look good sitting next to my new Yeti 50. Hey, we may have a problems, but cold storage isn't one of them!! 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    I've got 99 problems, but the heat ain't one!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SGH said:
    RiverDoc said:
    @SGH - I think the patrons that visit www.bbwcupid.com/‎ would fully agree with you on that platitude, Scottie.
    I've got 99 problems, but the heat ain't one!
    That just made me laugh!
    -Todd
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Back from a late night on vacay....thanks for this test. Like said before I was standing by.
    Seattle, WA