Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Ice?

Lots of discussion lately on coolers and a few mentions of blue ice (Yeti, Arctic Tundra/Chillin Brews, regular blue ice) and plain old ice cubes.. So I for one am still on the fence and a dedicated thread might help the community. 

What kind of experiences have you had with "blue ice"? --Is it really that beneficial (other than keeping contents dry). Does it work? Which brand? Any reliable articles on effectiveness or comparisons? Thanks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would like to see how they stand up to a 1 liter water bottle full of ice =) i have a couple in each freezer and thats all i ever use, good for the beer cooler, good for the bait cooler ;) with all the money spent on a high end cooler.....do i really need high end ice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We use blue ice in smaller coolers (I can't remember ever buying blue ice, I think it's one of those things that just appears).  Big coolers either bagged ice or frozen water bottles.  1 gal ones if we really need it to last.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    i would like to see how they stand up to a 1 liter water bottle full of ice =) i have a couple in each freezer and thats all i ever use, good for the beer cooler, good for the bait cooler ;) with all the money spent on a high end cooler.....do i really need high end ice
    Frozen water bottles are the business. You get ice packs early and cold water later in the day.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have had 3 battered hard shell blue ice packs for at least 40 years and they still do the trick. Don't have a clue what I paid for them, but I know I've gotten my money's worth! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    As stated in another thread I am a big fan of the Arctic Ice- Alaskan series. Its design and quality are both very good. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    I use marine grade Nu Ice

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Found a "scientific" article that would seem to suggest blue ice has it's day..
    http://www.knology.net/~billotto/BlueIceTest.htm

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN