Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket

Options
GRN96WS6
GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
I've never cooked brisket before, but let me tell you IMO this one was damn good.

I used dizzy dust rub and cooked it first fat cap down until 165, then foiled with 8oz beef broth and cooked until 185, then placed it back on the grate til 195, foiled and let it rest for 30 mins then slice and enjoy.

I wish my smoke ring was better.

And just a side of oven roasted red skinned taters with salt and pepper for seasoning.

Tommy
LBGE

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     I'm in! How long was you cook? Temp@? I can't tell the difference between smoke ring or not when blindfolded, can you? Nice work first timer. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great cook right there-way to set the high bar.  All down-hill from here :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GRN96WS6
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pgprescott said:  I'm in! How long was you cook? Temp@? I can't tell the difference between smoke ring or not when blindfolded, can you? Nice work first timer. 

I held pretty steady between 225-250 for about 7 hours total, I think I could have gone a little longer but putting it on at 1 I was hungry!!  I'll toss it on earlier next time (working from home has it's bennies)

Also forgot to mention I used some pecan and hickory wood chips for flavor as well.  And no I could not tell a difference blindfolded in a smoke ring or not but it looks damn cool if bigger!!

lousubcap said: Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great cook right there-way to set the high bar.  All down-hill from here :peace: 

This is only my first brisket, not my first cook ever, now that I've finally figured out the whole posting pics thing on here I'll post more often.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome. Nice cook. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Smokering doesn't affect flavor, however, try cherry wood for a nice ring. Also, start with a really cold hunk o meat, and if you really want to go the extra mile, a little curing salt. 

Edit: looks great to me...
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice job.  My first brisket was on a Brinkman torpedo 30 years ago and a total failure.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GRN96WS6
    Options
    Had some for leftovers tonight and had to reheat it obviously and it was still tender.  
    Tommy
    LBGE