Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mac and cheese on the egg help

Looty
Looty Posts: 16
Doing some homemade Mac and cheese tonight and 
plan on 350 indirect for 30-40 mins
My question is, what kind of wood should I use?
i was thinking some sticks of cherry.  
I was also going to cook some homemade BBQ sauce based on the Dinosaur BBQ recipe at the same time to get some of the smoke flavor into the sauce.  It does call for an optional liquid smoke addition, by why not the real thing?

Thoughts?
Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy

Comments

• PorkU
    PorkU Posts: 32
    I make a very good smoked mac and cheese.  I use hickory and start smoking from the very beginning.  I do it all in one pot so every layer of flavor from the heavy cream sauce to the pasta to the cheese has a chance to take on the smoke flavor.  Just say No to liquid smoke...there is no need. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr8gGT0KDME

check out this quick trailer.....

WWW.PORKU.NET

FACEBOOK.COM/PORKU11

INSTAGRAM  PORK_U

TWITTER.COM/PORKUNIVERSITY

PERISCOPE  PORK U
  • JKoch1983
    JKoch1983 Posts: 7
    Here's a tried and true favorite among our family and friends:

Ingredients

1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni

¼ cup butter

¼ cup all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cut into large chunks

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

1 block (approx. 12 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

2 cups (approx. 8 oz) smoked gouda cheese, shredded

1 container (approx. 6 oz) parmesan cheese, shredded

¼ cup velveeta cheese, shredded

1 cup panko bread crumbs

Instructions

1.      Cook pasta according to package directions to slightly below al dente

2.      In medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk flour into butter.  Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick.  Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.  Cook 5 minutes until thickened.  Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth.  Add salt and pepper.

3.      In a large bowl, combine ½ of cheddar, ½ of gouda, parmesan cheese. 

4.      Combine pasta, cheese mixture, and cheese sauce into 11 x 9 ½ inch aluminum roasting pan.  Lightly sprinkle with favorite BBQ rub.

5.      Top with mixture of remaining cheeses ( ½ cheddar, ½ gouda, and ¼ cup velveeta).

6.      Lightly brown panko bread crumbs in skillet.  Once brown, spread evenly atop the mac and cheese.

7.      Place in egg at 225 degrees for 1.5-2 hours until brown and slightly bubbly.

XL BGE, M BGE

Titletown, USA
  • A enthusiastic newbie two thumbs up at JKoch1983's recipe. The main thing that I did differently from the recipe was i didn't brown the panko and my pan was bigger (so I had to squeeze the sides to make it fit on my new MBGE). Fantastic!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JKoch1983 said:
    Here's a tried and true favorite among our family and friends:

Ingredients

1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni

¼ cup butter

¼ cup all-purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cut into large chunks

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

1 block (approx. 12 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

2 cups (approx. 8 oz) smoked gouda cheese, shredded

1 container (approx. 6 oz) parmesan cheese, shredded

¼ cup velveeta cheese, shredded

1 cup panko bread crumbs

Instructions

1.      Cook pasta according to package directions to slightly below al dente

2.      In medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk flour into butter.  Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick.  Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.  Cook 5 minutes until thickened.  Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth.  Add salt and pepper.

3.      In a large bowl, combine ½ of cheddar, ½ of gouda, parmesan cheese. 

4.      Combine pasta, cheese mixture, and cheese sauce into 11 x 9 ½ inch aluminum roasting pan.  Lightly sprinkle with favorite BBQ rub.

5.      Top with mixture of remaining cheeses ( ½ cheddar, ½ gouda, and ¼ cup velveeta).

6.      Lightly brown panko bread crumbs in skillet.  Once brown, spread evenly atop the mac and cheese.

7.      Place in egg at 225 degrees for 1.5-2 hours until brown and slightly bubbly.

Thank you! That looks like a winner!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I love me some mac and cheese on the egg. I don't usually add much in the way of chips myself. I use Rockwood only....and do mine in a cast iron casserole. It may be a bit milder but for me just right. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Minimal smoking wood I'd recommend.  Mac & cheese will take it right up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited February 2017
    This is the recipe I use for smoked Mac & Cheese. It is a bit of work, but the Dijon mustard and the Bleu Cheese make it worth the effort.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cheese-lovers-5-cheese-mac-and-cheese-recipe

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    mac n cheese is a dish you should learn to make without a recipe to be a man.

(just messing with ya).  (but not totally)
    edited February 2017
    mac n cheese is a dish you should learn to make without a recipe to be a man.

(just messing with ya).  (but not totally)
    Except I'm not LOL (Maybe your comment was to the OP :D )
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I have been looking at various mac n cheese recipes lately. Lots do not start with a roux. I can't imagine it tasing as good or like I picture home-made unless the roux/bechamel/cheese sauce is done traditionally. Am I missing out on an easier quicker way that truly satisfies???

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • mikegernes
    mikegernes Posts: 7
    I am looking for a great mac and cheese recipe please.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    @CtTOPGUN:  Agreed... I think the béchamel makes all the difference. 

HERE is my go-to recipe. I am sure it can be adapted to the BGE.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • They are listed in the thread?

mikegernes said:
    I am looking for a great mac and cheese recipe please.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    nola pretty much hit this, you just make it =)  what you need to know

how to make a roux with equal parts of butter or grease with flour. 3 tbls spoons butter and 3 tbls flour until it turns light brown while continuously whisking works for me, anymore and i get too much for a single lasagna tray.

add milk til its nice and soupy, milk, half n half, doesnt make a whole lot of difference, bring to boil then simmer til it starts to thicken
    (i like a tiny amt of nutmeg at this point)

add a bunch of cheese, more than a pound, i always use extra sharp cabots cheddar as its always in the fridge. get it all melted til it tastes right, add some white pepper for taste. shut it down, sometimes i add a little gorganzola once its shut down.

pour over cooked elbows add more cheddar, a sprinkle gargonzola if you like it and or bread crumbs/panko and bake til it starts to brown.

i sometimes add as much as a pound cooked bacon, cant go wrong with bacon

the only thing that needs to be measured is the grease and flour

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The one I do is a very bastardized version of Patti Labelle's recipe, which has a cheese sauce base. I cannot stand "baked casserole" mac and cheese and like mine creamy/saucy, so I leave out all thickeners like flour or eggs. Load up on cheese with salt/white pepper/garlic/ hot sauce for a bit of a kick. By load up, I mean 1.5-2 lbs. Also, never use pre-shredded cheese, if you can help it. Bacon, jalapeños, etc to change things up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    The one I do is a very bastardized version of Patti Labelle's recipe, which has a cheese sauce base. I cannot stand "baked casserole" mac and cheese and like mine creamy/saucy, so I leave out all thickeners like flour or eggs. Load up on cheese with salt/white pepper/garlic/ hot sauce for a bit of a kick. By load up, I mean 1.5-2 lbs. Also, never use pre-shredded cheese, if you can help it. Bacon, jalapeños, etc to change things up.
    what eggcelsior said about preshredded cheese, it is encased in a fine cornmeal coating, it does not melt properly. either grate it with a hand grater or freeze chunks of cheese and use the grating blade in the food processor, very quick in that thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    The mac and cheese recipe sounds amazing thanks guys