Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger Steak

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Egged a hanger steak tonight. Isn't this what they(everybody) use to make fajitas? It's too late to ask for help but was this supposed to be cut into strips prior to cooking and fried in a pan? Just seemed kind of chewy. 

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use skirt steak or flat iron for fajitas.  I slice after grilling.  Flat iron is more tender than skirt.

The hanger steak is the cut that is left when they split the carcass.  I find it to thick for the flavor I like in fajitas.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @stemc33
    Great looking grub brother stem. Mighty fine job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
     Flat iron is more tender than skirt
    Flat iron is phenomenal when prepared properly. It's one of my favorite steaks.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    100% Agree!  I love the flat iron, they used to ruin the cut when making roasts, but now they sell less roasts (people don't want to cook for 3hrs, haha) and they get smaller roasts and the flat iron steak now.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stemc33
    Options
    The lady was out of tri-tip last Thursday and told me they just hung some beef the day before. With limited cuts on hand I picked this hanger steak up. They hang for 14 days before the butcher gets them, so it might be a another few weeks before I can get tri-tip. With the tri-tip being cheaper, I think I'll just stick with that. Here's a price list. Anything worth trying on here?

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    How do you prepare it? She tried to sell me one, but I went with the hanger. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Egged a hanger steak tonight. Isn't this what they(everybody) use to make fajitas? It's too late to ask for help but was this supposed to be cut into strips prior to cooking and fried in a pan? Just seemed kind of chewy. 

That, (your pic) is actually one "Hanger" that should be trimmed into 2 "Steaks". 

"Steaks" are then blocked and trimmed...having had the center of membrane trimmed out and the tail cut off!

When trimmed properly and cooked much like a Flatiron... they are fabulous!

Properly cooked... and rested...and sliced on the bias,  they are some of the best meat on a cow...any cow!

Its funny many of the younger butchers don't even know how to trim them since they are generally thrown in ground meats as in ground chuck or ground round.

The old guys used to take them home for themselves!!

You need to find an old timer to trim those up...lol!

Cant get pics to attach here?..., I'll put them in a second post.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depending on grade those are nice prices.  Definetely get a flat iron next time.

Careful on the brisket.  Judging by average weight looks like just the flat.  Maybe ask what they do with the point.  May be able to buy just that.
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Anything worth trying on here?

Unfortunately I like most everything on the list. So unless you are willing to buy one of everything, you may want to wait on others to respond.  

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    Chubby said:
    That is actually two hanger steaks that have not had the center of membrane trimmed. 
    When trimmed properly and cooked much like a Flatiron... they are fabulous!

Properly cooked... and rested...and sliced on the bias,  they are some of the best meat on a cow...any cow!

Its funny many of the younger butchers don't even know how to trim them since they are generally thrown in ground meats as in ground chuck or ground round. The old guys used to take them home for themselves!!
    You need to find an old timer to trim those up...lol!

We have a custom Mom&Pop butcher shop that gets limited amount of this ranch's beef. I think it's about a $1.00 more per lb. Maybe I'll talk with them. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depending on grade those are nice prices.  Definetely get a flat iron next time.

Careful on the brisket.  Judging by average weight looks like just the flat.  Maybe ask what they do with the point.  May be able to buy just that.
    I have no clue on the grade. It's grass-finished so some of the cuts are smaller. I think the briskets are flats. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubby
    edited July 2015
    Options

Searing...

Off the Grill...and Rested.

Sliced with some good Balsamic.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stemc33
    Options
    @chubby, that looks freakin' awesome.
    Are hanger steaks supposed to be marinated?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chubby
    edited July 2015
    Options

stemc33 said:

Thanks!!

I like to...but you don't have to.

I do a 1/3  light soy sauce...1/3 wostershire...1/3 inexpensive balsamic vinegar....and a good dose of Brown Sugar.

Heat...stir to dissolve...cool thoroughly...and bagg'em for about an hour!

Each "Steak" should end up about 8 ozs...and be about the size of those Large (Pinochle) decks of cards.

• stemc33
    Options
    Chubby said:

stemc33 said:

Thanks!!

I like to...but you don't have to.

I do a 1/3  light soy sauce...1/3 wostershire...1/3 inexpensive balsamic vinegar....and a good dose of Brown Sugar.

Heat...stir to dissolve...cool thoroughly...and bagg'em for about an hour!

Each "Steak" should end up about 8 ozs...and be about the size of those Large (Pinochle) decks of cards

Thanks for the recipe. I'm thinking I should give it  another try.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming