Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-new toy

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Just showing off a new toy. Its a Japanese style knife called a "bunka," which translates to "kitchen knife." Considered to be all purpose, good for meat and veggies. I got it to upgrade from an inexpensive nakiri that I used a lot for veggies.

The blade is 175mm, just shy of 7". About 2" wide.

The maker is Shibata. It has a core of a steel called R2 or SG-2, and is stainless clad. A knife slob like me can't be trusted with carbon steel.

I've read that the core steel will take a very acute bevel, hold it well, but be somewhat easier to sharpen than VG-2.
Here's a close-up of the heel area. Nice, smoothly tapering cross section.

Quick test out of the box. Some thin slices. A ripe cherry, very little mushing. Some ginger. Some red carrot. Effortless. Have to compare after a couple hundred other cuts.

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    that looks bad ass

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Nice toy!  Enjoy it.   
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • gdenby
    It is bad enough that my wife, who has been incautious around my better knives once or twice, was already fretting I might slice myself.

I have a gyuto that may be somewhat sharper, but the shape and size of this makes it much easier to control.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Very nice! I can't afford one of those so I'll have to admire it from here.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    Toxarch said:
    Very nice! I can't afford one of those so I'll have to admire it from here.
    Out 1st good knife was the only one for years. A friend bought us a 9.5" Sabatier-Hoffritz chef knife for out wedding. It took nearly 30 years with nothing more than steeling to keep it sharp. The cost then for the knife was $70, which equals somewhat more than $300 in today's dollars. The new toy was a bit over $200, not insignificant, but way back when, that was equivalent to what I bought for my mother on her birthday. We also still have that knife, and with some restoration, it is still good. (She had bad arthritis, and sharpened it with a crummy power sharpener. Sigh)

The new "toy" is supposedly much better metal than the old Sabatier. It should be good to use long after I'm gone.

If you catch my drift, put a couple of $s away every month. Shop carefully. A really nice knife is great fun, and it may be good for a home chef's life.