Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanting to build a table

Options
I'm about to get my first egg. I'm between the large vs XL. But before I buy I want to have a table to put it in. I've got some family that is really good with wood working that are going to help me. I'm looking for something that looks nice but I want a granite inlay or something so I can set hot stuff on there. I'm looking at these plans http://nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans
but I wanted to see pictures or plans that anyone else suggested. I have wondered about about a drawer or cabinet doors but I just figured it would get full of spiders and I hate those creepy things.
Something like this might be my best option.

What do yall think?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Congrats on getting your Egg!

Here is the table that I built that has the granite inlay (though different then the picture you have in your post.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1165160/up-and-running#latest

I based mine off the naked whiz plans as well but did some modification for the granite. I did my plans on Google Sketch Up. If you want them send me a PM. Make sure to post pics of your work.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    I built a table a couple years ago after taking in many ideas.  Attached is what I ended up with and some of my thoughts and regrets.  You need to think what all you plan to store and then add some room for the gadgets you have not yet purchased or thought about.

I like the enclosed cabinet for concealing all the clutter though would have chose a different stain color maybe better matching my deck or house.  Make the exterior out of a weather resistant wood such as cypress or cedar. Tiled top gave me an inexpensive heat resistant top though the edging did not stay on well so plan to do a wood edge once I have time to pull off the tile sides and grind off the grout.  Wheels are good for moving when re-staining deck or rearrangements.

Enclosed cabinet has room for a Kingsford Charcoal can and torch on the left.  A full length pull out drawer at the top for fire starters, grill cleaner for Kettle Q, etc.  Two smaller pull out drawers hold various other things like smoking wood, grill grates, gloves, etc.  On the right inside is storage for my Kettle Q, pizza stone, etc.  Probably would have made that a little wider.
    Under the egg is storage for an adjustible rig, rib rack, etc.
    Lots to think about.  Good luck and enjoy your new egg.

Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Chris, I just sent you a pm.  Please read.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Can you post a google Sketchup Screen Shot?