Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza method working well for me

Options
One of our favorite things on the egg is pizza.  I finally feel like I have an easily repeatable method for getting the top done properly at the same time that the crust is crispy.  I go with the platesetter, legs up, then grid with 3 fire bricks on edge.  I put the stone on top of the fire bricks. Setup looks like this:

The egg gets heated to about 600 and I let it sit for at least 45 minutes to get the stone heated through.  I then prepare the pizza and sprinkle a little corn meal on the stone prior to sliding the pizza onto the stone.  This one was done with crushed San Marzano tomatoes (drained a bit to remove extra liquid).  I then added some fresh basil to the tomatoes, fresh ground black pepper and then sprinkled some garlic powder on the edge of the crust,  Now for the cheese I added some grated mozzarella and some grated lucatelli.  Toppings were simply sliced onions and anchovies on half.  Put on the egg and let go for about 11 minutes and check it out to ensure doneness.  This one went about 12 total. 

Long Island, NY

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great! Nice to have a method that works. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That looks great.

I've said this before, but that 45 minutes that it takes your stone to get to temp is almost the exact time/temp it takes to perfectly roast a head of garlic - chop the top off of the head, brush it with some OO and just set it on the stone.
    NOLA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    edited July 2015
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    That looks great.

I've said this before, but that 45 minutes that it takes your stone to get to temp is almost the exact time/temp it takes to perfectly roast a head of garlic - chop the top off of the head, brush it with some OO and just set it on the stone.
    Excellent idear, consider it stolen...ahem I mean borrowed.

One extra question, I like that pizza stone, what kind is it? 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    That looks great.

Great idea!
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Excuse my girly ignorance.   Fire bricks?  Where to purchase?   I bought some concrete bricks for landscaping from Lowes and wrapped in foil.  Will those work? 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    and by the way.....that pizza looks perfect! 
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    Thanks for posting this method.  I'm pretty new to the egg, but pizza is something I've been wanting to try.  I've read quite a bit about slightly different methods (particularly for raising the stone up in the dome).  I don't have a fancy or homemade AR, so I may have to pick up some firebricks and give this method a shot this week.
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    buzd504 said:
    That looks great.

Excellent idear, consider it stolen...ahem I mean borrowed.

One extra question, I like that pizza stone, what kind is it? 
    It is a BGE brand stone... it is for the large.  I have an extra large egg and at some point may get the larger stone but then I need a new Peel (paddle to put the pizza on the stone) and I don't want to spring for both just yet. 
    Long Island, NY
  • radamo
    Options

Excuse my girly ignorance.   Fire bricks?  Where to purchase?   I bought some concrete bricks for landscaping from Lowes and wrapped in foil.  Will those work? 
    Fire bricks are the bricks actually used when making a fire place.  They can handle high heat.  I don't really know if regular bricks, foil wrapped or not, can handle that heat.  Here on Long Island and garden center with paving stones carrries these bricks. 
    Long Island, NY
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    radamo said:

Fire bricks are the bricks actually used when making a fire place.  They can handle high heat.  I don't really know if regular bricks, foil wrapped or not, can handle that heat.  Here on Long Island and garden center with paving stones carrries these bricks. 
    Didn't see fire bricks at Lowes.  I'll try another store locally.  Thank you! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Trixie, et. all .....the difference is the blocks you purchased are made of formed concrete. Concrete can break down under high heat or split if they get wet while hot. If you loose one, no big deal, it was not expensive and you can replace.

Brick like you build a house with are a baked clay product. They can withstand high heat as that is largely how they are made. The fire brick, (one notch above regular brick) are capable of tolerating much higher temps, and are used in building the hearth and inside chimney of wood burning masonry fireplaces. It is the best brick if you want to ensure that you make a single purchase. I would continue using what you have and if they crumble, then upgrade. You would most likely need to purchase the firebrick at a brick manufacturer. They are not expensive and should last you a life time. I have quite a few under my house and would be glad to share....but the postage would prob cost more than you going to pick some up locally.

I use a shelf riser from my wife's kiln to elevate mine. I have attached a picture for you. As you can see, these are small, light and much easier to handle than bricks. They are available in a variety of heights. You can get these from a pottery supply store. These can withstand temps far higher than you will ever reach in your egg. Here is a link to one if you would like to purchase on line or in the Seattle area. http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Category_Code=KPS

I use these (I have multiple heights) to raise my grid as well. Keeping it simple in SC....we don't need no stinkin accessories. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Trixie, et. all .....the difference is the blocks you purchased are made of formed concrete. Concrete can break down under high heat or split if they get wet while hot. If you loose one, no big deal, it was not expensive and you can replace.

Brick like you build a house with are a baked clay product. They can withstand high heat as that is largely how they are made. The fire brick, (one notch above regular brick) are capable of tolerating much higher temps, and are used in building the hearth and inside chimney of wood burning masonry fireplaces. It is the best brick if you want to ensure that you make a single purchase. I would continue using what you have and if they crumble, then upgrade. You would most likely need to purchase the firebrick at a brick manufacturer. They are not expensive and should last you a life time. I have quite a few under my house and would be glad to share....but the postage would prob cost more than you going to pick some up locally.

I use a shelf riser from my wife's kiln to elevate mine. I have attached a picture for you. As you can see, these are small, light and much easier to handle than bricks. They are available in a variety of heights. You can get these from a pottery supply store. These can withstand temps far higher than you will ever reach in your egg. Here is a link to one if you would like to purchase on line or in the Seattle area. http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=sps_ecat&Category_Code=KPS

I use these (I have multiple heights) to raise my grid as well. Keeping it simple in SC....we don't need no stinkin accessories. 

THANK YOU!!!   The next time I'm in south Seattle, I'm stopping by the pottery supply.   I totally appreciate the education.   You rock!
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    I have used that exact method and found it to be very predictable. I usually have a very thin crust so only about 8 min on the stone. Pavers double wrapped in foil seemed to handle the heat fine. Used them because I had them laying around so we'll see how they last. 

Your pizza looks great btw!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Fire Bricks can be purchased at Ace Hardware stores. You can order it online and then get free shipping to store. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1366795
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    I'm totally making pizza this week.  Can't wait!!!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Aluminum beverage cans of your choice, 3 of them, works very well too.
    Pizza at our house has become an event with the family. The children, and their friends all are here when we do pizza on the BGEs. In fact, the neighborhood kids start texting MBW and I around 0900, (which is early for the summer break ours do not reanimate until around 1100 or later) to see when we will start doing them. The above are all great ideas and proven functionality. I may have to purchase fire bricks one day, but at least for now, empty Coors Golden cans seem to be in large supply here.  I suppose I will use those until they are gone......just sayin'.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Aluminum beverage cans of your choice, 3 of them, works very well too.
    Pizza at our house has become an event with the family. The children, and their friends all are here when we do pizza on the BGEs. In fact, the neighborhood kids start texting MBW and I around 0900, (which is early for the summer break ours do not reanimate until around 1100 or later) to see when we will start doing them. The above are all great ideas and proven functionality. I may have to purchase fire bricks one day, but at least for now, empty Coors Golden cans seem to be in large supply here.  I suppose I will use those until they are gone......just sayin'.
    How do you use aluminum cans?  That seems like it would be awfully tippy with a pizza stone on top and sliding pizzas on and off.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Not really. I have had no problems. I have friends that put sand in them. I have not. I suppose I have done it, I dunno, about 50 times(?) with no issue. I did 12 one night, a lot of fun, a lot of kids, that I never thought would stop eating. It is a great way for you to sneak the dreaded vegetable in without them freaking out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    I looked for fire bricks today myself, but couldn't find them at any of the big chain stores, (Lowes, HomeDepot, etc.).  I had a few people including my local BGE store who recommended something called "splits."  I went to a local stone store where they had them in stock and sold them individually.  They told me they were essentially fire brick 1/2's and were designed specifically to handle the heat of a fireplace.  They thought they'd last a lifetime unless I dropped them.  Hope you can find something that works.  Anyway, what I bought looks like this:

Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • radamo
    Options
    Splits are a great option.  My local supplier was out of them or that is what I would have had.  Cheaper and lighter... although cheaper is relative, the bricks were only like $2 each. 
    Long Island, NY