Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's going to be a PULLED PORK kind of Saturday! Eventually...

Options
I’ve had this rolled and tied pork shoulder in the freezer just waiting to be smoked, and the bounty from @cazzy’s sauce and rub exchange was all the reason I needed to cook it!  Started with a 6 lbs. deboned rolled and tied shoulder from a respectable butcher.  The kind of pork that smells good thawed and raw.  Not that smithfield or costco pork I usually use which smells a little gamey when I dump it out of the package.  Nah, this smelled gooooood.

Gave the pork a little olive oil, cider vinegar and mustard and then a heavy dosing of @GATraveller ’s favorite Lambert’s rub.  Nothing else.  Smelled and tasted good.

Got the egg up to 220 and at 2:AM, on went the meat!   Then I went to bed....

....the temp went low during the night.  I didn't mind, I knew it wasn't burning and I wanted to sleep.  Got up this morning, bumped the temp up, made myself a nice BLT and then mixed up some coleslaw for the pulled pork sandwiches.

But now, over 13 hours later, this thing is still trodding along!    Holy crap it's a beautiful day outside and I want to leave the house.  But it's almost done, right?  Any day now, any day...   :lol:

(I know it'll work out, but in my mind this guy was in the cooler by now and I was on the lake fishing!) :weary:

13 more degrees to go...

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some go the FTC route in the low 190's-trusting the carry-over cook and they do seem to get eggcellent results.  Your call-you can always toss it in the clock box with some liquid and head for the lake.  (And just to toss it out there-some piggys decide to throw a second stall in the high 180's-low 190s...) :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @lousubcap I think I'm in that 2nd stall.   I haven't experienced that before, but my temp just went from 187 DOWN to 185!  :lol:

I decided to go fishing.

I've left SWMBO'd detailed instructions.  :worried:

#1, Take a picture!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Good call-either your instructions work or it's a delivery pizza-and you get to enjoy the cook (best part of the journey) and SWMBO feels the pressure of bringing it home :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Well, that was some of the best pulled pork I've had to date.  I'm not sure if it was the meat I started with, the Lambert's rub, the cherry wood or that the meat that takes the longest is always the best...but damn!  Good stuff.

My wife's texts were pretty funny as she also encountered dropping temps of meat and grill, but luckily when I got home and the pork was still on the egg waiting for me to finish things off.  It was still in the high 180s so I wrapped it, cranked the egg up and finished it in the foil.  

I think my fluctuating grill temps were due to the guy who packed the firebox in the dark after a couple martinis.  :blush:   I just kind of dumped in the lower half of a bag and there were lots of small pieces and dust in there.   Low and slow is usually my easiest temp to maintain.  This was also my first shoulder that was rolled and tied.  So maybe that makes for a denser piece than when it's just king of loose and flopping around.   ?  Results were great, though!

ready to foil to finish.  Temp at this point was about 189 everywhere.

After foiling and a short rest.  No time for FTC.  Could have used some time in the cooler to fully relax, but it was still so goooooooood!

Laid on a potato bun with some home made slaw topped with that delicious hot carolina sauce from my rub exchange box!   This was so good, with such good bark...I'm sold on the Lambert's!   I'm hesitant to every try anything else.

Oh, sweet, sweet, smokey, flavorful bark.  
    I think I ate @SGH portions tonight.  :D
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I hope that this^^^^^^^^^ is true. There is nothing I hate more than to see someone nibble like a little mouse. Food should be consumed with a vengeance and in large amounts. With that said, the grub looks fantastic my friend. Awesome job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Perfect pork.  The color and bark look spot on.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I hope that this^^^^^^^^^ is true. There is nothing I hate more than to see someone nibble like a little mouse. Food should be consumed with a vengeance and in large amounts. With that said, the grub looks fantastic my friend. Awesome job :clap: 
    Ha!   Yes...well, I ate a good bit as I was pulling it.
    And then I inhaled the first sandwich, so decided to make a second sandwich to take my time and enjoy it.
    Then I finished the meat left on my daughter's plate.
    Then picked some more out of the bowl.
    Then decided to put another pile on my plate so I could enjoy it with some difference sauces.
    Then realized, damn! this really has better flavor than any pork I've made, I better have some more....   #SGHPortions

LBGE/Maryland
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great cook... Pork is top notch
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I font believe it was good? Send me some and I will let you know for sure 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Whatever the process and the piggy-that is a home-run cook right there.  Congrats on the team-work to punch it home.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    looks delicious!  very nice!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That looks awesome!!  I've been recently become a believer in the boneless shoulder.  I know there is a bit of extra work tying it up BUT the chance to season the inside as well as outside makes for some AMAZING pulled pork.  

Great cook!!  Thanks for sharing and I'm stoked you like the Lambert's as much as we do. 

PS - did you catch any fish?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    ...Great cook!!  Thanks for sharing and I'm stoked you like the Lambert's as much as we do. 

No fish, but my fishing partner got to chase a couple beaver...

(no, not that kind of beaver)  :wink: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    ...Great cook!!  Thanks for sharing and I'm stoked you like the Lambert's as much as we do. 

No fish, but my fishing partner got to chase a couple beaver...

(no, not that kind of beaver)  :wink: 
    Nice!!  My fishing kayak doesn't have room for my mini Aussie so she's stuck at home until I upgrade.   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Hey my friend, GATraveller,  we should get a kayak trip together down the Chattahoochie.  I used to go rafting a lot when I lived in Marietta.  Now I go kayaking a lot up here at home.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GATraveller
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Hey my friend, GATraveller,  we should get a kayak trip together down the Chattahoochie.  I used to go rafting a lot when I lived in Marietta.  Now I go kayaking a lot up here at home.
    I'm down!!  Always up for a paddle and I love Kentucky (although I haven't had the opportunity to see your neck of the woods).  From what I know it's beautiful.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks phenomenal.  I really like that rub as well.  They usually have it at Ace Hardware and it is pretty reasonable ($5 or so).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.