Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Scored a Kamado Joe Jr.

Options
Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
Ain't she cute?  BGE didn't come through for me with a mini max at my last EggFest, or local dealers, so I jumped on this Kamado Joe Jr. today at their show at Costco (in Austin).  Got it home and cooked on it right away!  Works real good and I'm very impressed with its quality. Only $399, so I saved a bundle over the Mini Max. No downside that I can see, except that I'm not a two BGE family.   

That said, my Large BGE got a little,jealous so I pampered her with a bath and a deep rub down, inside and out. The old green warhorse will still cook the big meat, at home, but the KJJ gets to go on overnight trips with me and do some quickies at home and on the road.  I'm a two-timing bastard, I know.   
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    You should think about getting rid of the factory stand and getting an Egg Crate. Great price!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Love mine, got it at Costco last year...Get a Hi-Q grate and it will come up to temp super fast
    Austin, TX
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    I recently picked up one from my local dealer that also sells BGE.  He matched the Costco price and so far I'm impressed. The Jr replaces a small that I gave to my son. He is making good use of it. You will find you use it more often than the large BGE--I know I do.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    The road show is headed to my Costco at the end of the month--I'm thinking of picking up one as well. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    I was there today and saw the guy selling them.  I was in a hurry or I would've checked them out.

Nice score.
  • chrisc133
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Double Bogey  was the dealer who matched the Costco price in the CSRA?  Just saw your signature and realized you're right down the road from me. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    The small nest works like a charm under that little bugger. Just saying.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
      was the dealer who matched the Costco price in the CSRA? 
    Yes, Greig, the owner of Fireside in Augusta.  Jr $399 and classic $799. I bought a large BGE from him about a year ago and he has always been fair with his prices.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    The small nest works like a charm under that little bugger. Just saying.
    Good information!  Thanks. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • chrisc133
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
      was the dealer who matched the Costco price in the CSRA? 
    Yes, Greig, the owner of Fireside in Augusta.  Jr $399 and classic $799. I bought a large BGE from him about a year ago and he has always been fair with his prices.
    Wow...a Classic at $799 is an absolute steal.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    They're at my local Costco this week too...and unlike when they were selling BGE's, this appear to be totally legit with a KJ sales rep there to help sell the stuff.  

I've been using a LBGE for several years, and I have to say, from a cursory look, the equivalent size KJ looks good.  The ceramic looks thicker.  It comes with a split cooking grid that allows cooking at 2 levels, has something kind of like a CGS spider, split stone, an ash box that pulls out for easy cleaning, etc.  The only thing that seemed kind of a step backwards to me was the daisy wheel top fits so tight, it can't easily be rotated (to use gravity to keep it set the way you want when you open the lid).

I haven't read through the sales brochure, but the rep told me their warranty is better than BGE...that its unconditional lifetime and that you could knock your KJ over and break it (we've seen people who've done that with their Eggs), and they will replace it.

Are there any real downsides?  I'm not in the market for another...though I have to admit, at times I would like an XL.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    l'll send you a PM

Dave - Austin, TX