Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Gasket?

does anyone egg without any gasket at all how well does it work for you? I need a new gasket but thought of checking this out first.
thanks
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    It all depends on your egg.  My air gap is too big without a gasket to hold temps
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    If the top and bottom fit good enough, then a gasket is not needed. But it is easier to get the good fit with a gasket than without. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I egg' for almost 3 years without one on my large. It burned off just after a couple months of owning the egg. Never had a serious issue with it. I have the replacement one from BgE but never changed it. 

It Would smoke, hold temp, and snuff out no problem. Now sometimes when I had my pit controller on it would blow smoke out when it stoked the fire but not enough to matter. 

I I agree with stated above, prolly varies a little depending on how good they line up. 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Oh but you might try just emailing mothership, that's what I did and they sent me the new one for free

XLBGE 
  • I am going to try it. Even if it don't work no harm done.

San Angelo, texas
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I've gone over a year without a gasket without any issues... I have a pretty good seal without it.

Having said that, I have ordered a rutland gasket from Ron.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I just prefer a gasket...I'm convinced it isn't necessary though.  You must admit, the Rutland does add some sex appeal to the Egg.  That alone makes it worth it. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Like so many others here have said it basically depends on how well your top and bottom fit in the first place!
    I've had both my eggs since about 2005... And as part of doing my new outdoor kitchen I decided to take them apart... sand them down..
     put new gaskets on them both and sand and paint the bands!!
    I can't tell you they work any better but they damn sure are prettier...lol!!

For reference this is only the second time I've put gaskets on both of them.
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!