Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oval stone, low heat

Options
I recently got my AR, and  have done a couple of cooks with it. Both cooks I intended to do as indirect, but, with the oval stone in place I couldn't get the temp higher than 300, no matter how I had the vents. Just to be sure I didn't have plugged holes for the second one, I cleaned all the old charcoal and ash, and put fresh charcoal in place, same low temp result. As soon as I pulled the oval stone out, the temp climbed to where I wanted it to be. I changed both cooks to direct and had good results. I had the stone on the lowest level of the AR and was cooking on the highest level with the extender in place. Any ideas, should I have had the stone above the lowest level?      Thanks again
Franklinville, Western NY

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,654
    Options
    Can't help with the AR but I do use a PSWoo2 with the BGE platesetter so I would think that is close to the heat deflector with the AR.  And yes it takes longer to get to temp compared with your non-heat-deflector eggsperience but at the end of the day it is all about air-flow which means fire volume and the subsequent cooking temp.  Make sure your thermos are calibrated and it will all come together.  FWIW-  Go USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm good with my thermos, but I was wondering, maybe I should have used my pizza stone instead. It would be indirect, but also would allow more air flow front and rear. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can wrap my Thermo around with my oval stones on both eggs. It takes a while but you can go nuclear (or nucular depending on which 24 hour news channel you prefer) with the oval stone. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I had that same problem. I was putting the stone on top of the fire ring and it was choking the air flow. Raise the stone up an inch and all should be good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options
    Thank You.....Next cook I'll raise the stone up and hopefully get better air flow.  I go on a few different forums...boat building, fishing, hunting, hiking...this forum is more active and informative then all of the others combined...it's great!!