Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High end rotomolded cooler deal.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH ... buy a 420 and tell the missus it's a prepaid coffin ...
    If I spent 1,400 bucks on it and my wife found out it would be my coffin. She would kill me!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SGH ... buy a 420 and tell the missus it's a prepaid coffin ...
    If I spent 1,400 bucks on it and my wife found out it would be my coffin. She would kill me!!
    You'd only need two pall bearers....
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I'd disagree just a tad with YETI bringing their prices down. They may but I doubt much. They're the top, most recognizable, and most popular, at least around here in the south. Ever kids got a yeti and a sticker, every farmer has a yeti on back of his truck, and they're all over college life. 

Its going to take a lot just to knock their name off from being the "cool" cooler. 

Be it, we don't care, and a lot of guys won't jf the other cooler works ok, but it'll always be "the cooler that's like the YETI". Bought my father in law a K2 for Christmas and it's the bomb. But it's "not a yeti". 

XLBGE 
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    Just reserved the 65. Thanks for the link @SGH
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • SGH
    Options
    Just reserved the 65. Thanks for the link @SGH
    My pleasure brother. I started out reserving a 65. After thinking about it for a little while, I want back and reserved another 65. After thinking about it some more, I went back and reserved a Roadie as well. I need to quit thinking before I get in trouble!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks legit!  Anxious to get the 45 I reserved.  Thanks again @SGH for the heads up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Thanks SGH.  I just reserved a 65.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Yeti is a knock-off. They can't say a whole lot to other knock-offs.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SGH
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Just curious, do you know who Yeti is a knock off of? I do not doubt what you are saying, just curious as to who actually came out first with the rotomolded coolers. I have never researched it or heard who was actually first. I always just presumed that it was Yeti. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I'm in for a 45 and a 20. Thanks @SGH that $300 hundred was just hanging around collecting interest for me anyhow! 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SGH
    Options
    that $300 hundred was just hanging around collecting interest for me anyhow! 
    I hear ya buddy!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Thanks SGH.  
    Thanks @SGH
    bgebrent said:
    Thanks again @SGH for the heads up.
    My pleasure fellows. Always glad to pass on or share anything that I can. It seems like a outstanding deal to me. Hope that they don't disappoint. 

Status- Standing by.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @SGH to my understanding (and Ive been wrong once or twice) Engel was the first. They had a good design that worked but the guys at Yetti perfected it. Much like the BGE in my opinion. BGE certainly wasn't the first Kamado but they perfected it. Like Yamaha. They weren't the first outboard motor, but they perfected it... (I'll get killed for that analogy by the Johnson and Merc guys). But that is what I understand. Competition is good and I hope the RTIC folks make a bagillion bucks. That'll be good for all the high end cooler manufacturers. ThAnks again for the link. I, looking forward to my 65. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Toxarch
    Options

SGH said:
    Toxarch said:
    Just curious, do you know who Yeti is a knock off of? I do not doubt what you are saying, just curious as to who actually came out first with the rotomolded coolers. I have never researched it or heard who was actually first. I always just presumed that it was Yeti. 
    Pelican was the one who came up with the Rotomold cooler.
    Toxarch said:

And just an FYI, Pelican came out with the rotomold cooler first, NOT Yeti. Pelican sold them to the medical field for use in live organ transportation. They worked great, but they were pretty expensive. Yeti is the knockoff brand that took Pelican's cooler design, made it in a cheaper and larger version, and began selling it to the mass market. Pelican later saw that there was a large mass market for the cooler (due to Yeti sales) and then started making larger ones for the mass market. Now Yeti raised their prices and the Pelican is actually a lower retail price.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've been wanting to replace my smaller cheapo coolers with something decent. I was eyeing the Pelican 20 & 35, I think I'll give one of these a shot. Thanks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
     I think I'll give one of these a shot. Thanks.
    Hope that they turn out to be a winner. I got 3 on reserve myself. 

ksmyrl said:
    ThAnks again for the link. I, looking forward to my 65. 
    My pleasure buddy. Looking forward to my 2 65's and Roadie as well.  

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just reserved a green 20.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    I just reserved a green 20.
    To celebrate the new Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage, the 3 I reserved are pink ;)

Status- Standing by.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks for the link @SGH, I just reserved a 20 and a 45, but not in pink.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SGH
    Options
    MeTed said:
    Thanks for the link @SGH, I just reserved a 20 and a 45, but not in pink.
    You are welcome brother. I assure you, mine are not in pink either. I was making a attempt at humor. If the pink ones were free, I still wouldn't have one. 

Status- Standing by.

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Nice , Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Blue 65 for me lol
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I'm comfortable enough in my heterosexuality that I would sport a free pink cooler. Feel free to send me one.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Byl
    Byl Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm in for a 45 
    Elgin, Illinois 
  • SGH
    Options
    Byl said:
    I'm in for a 45 
    Seems like most folks say they are getting the 45. I went with with the 65 due to the low price. I felt others would do the same.  Just goes to show that the old saying is true: Different strokes for different folks. 

Status- Standing by.

• Toxarch
    Options
    SGH said:
    Byl said:
    I'm in for a 45 
    Seems like most folks say they are getting the 45. I went with with the 65 due to the low price. I felt others would do the same.  Just goes to show that the old saying is true: Different strokes for different folks. 
    I will use a 45 a lot more than I will use a 65. It would be nice to have the 65, but it's too big to move around solo and I don't need that much cooler space more than maybe once a year. I've had 65 qt Igloo coolers before and they just end up taking up room in the garage
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• SGH
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I will use a 45 a lot more than I will use a 65. It would be nice to have the 65, but it's too big to move around solo and I don't need that much cooler space more than maybe once a year. I've had 65 qt Igloo coolers before and they just end up taking up room in the garage
    I'm debating dropping one of the 65's and getting a 45. The 45 would probably be more practical for everyday general use. I'm defiantly going to get at least one of the 65's for stuff such as brisket camp and travel. The 45 could be dedicated to stay in the back of the truck for everyday use. My wife actually suggested that I get a 45 & a 65 instead of two of the 65's. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Several hundred on a cooler is OK if you can afford it but this review shows the low cost of the Coleman is the best bang for your hard earned cash.
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US679D20141224&p=high+end+cooler+review
    With the Coleman I have more than enough $$$ left for what goes in it.
    The other bennies are the lower theft rate and you don't have to buy all the hats and other junk to establish your elite cooler owner status.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I feel the same way about diamonds and cubic zirconia.
    Options
    I can't justify $100 for a cooler let alone $200.  I don't camp anymore and we just used one of our old Igloo coolers this weekend for the first time this summer.  For that rice it needs to come with wheels and a motor.   This would be cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291504736837?lpid=82&chn=ps
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.