Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Cut Pizza with a different twist...(Go Rams)

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This one is a deep dish pizza using a ceramic baking dish sold by Younkers Department Stores. [p]I happened to pick this one up for less than half price one day when browsing. All the packaging had been lost and it was all by its lone self in the clearance counter. [p]Its made by Sassafras Enterprise, Evanstan Illinois and is model numbered in the ceramic as 3615. It has a 10 inch inside diameter with a sloping side to a 11 inch opening about 1 1/4 inch deep on the inside and 3/8 inch thick sidewall. [p]I treated my pan with high grade olive oil, rubbed inside and outside.[p]My pizza dough was a experimental trial of one I stuffed in the grocery cart the other day. Its a premix made by Betty Crocker called Pizza Crust Mix with Gold Medal flour. I wanted to try this for you guys and gals that want a short cut to pizza without the fun and glory of doing home brew.[p]This one worked great and quickly took shape with just adding hot water to it and mixing. It spread nicely, and had the real flexible stretchy feel of good pizza dough. I recommend it.[p]I had a softball size piece of dough after it rose for a half hour and easy to use in the ceramic dish. Put it in the center and begin to mash it down and spread it from the center to the outsides of the dish using palms and fingers to make a thin base and work it up the sides of the dish about 3/4 inch. It was a perfect fit.[p]Spread your sauce, then your cheese, then your toppings.. Mine was Canadian Bacon/sweet Italian sausage and Mushroom half and half. I used a sprinkling of 5 cheeses on top with a dual mazorella/cheddar on the sauce.
The BGE set up was two firebricks flat, two firebricks on edge, with a smaller 13 inch grill on the two vertical bricks, and the ceramic pizza pan resting on the grill. Makes a nice air suspension method of doing pizza. The crust came out very nicely even light brown finish to it.
Took about 18 minutes at 500 to 550 degrees in 8 degrees above zero weather outside. Fun Cook as posted below with Doug.[p]To me it was a keeper combination for a quick pizza.
Should I post this...............thinking....yah..what the heck! :-)
Cheers..C~W

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I have had poor luck doing deep dish pizza in a cast iron skillet, the crust was just thick and not like the deep dish pizza I have had out. Fritz has had luck using a ceramic bowl too for deep dish pizza. What was the crust like? Was it crispy and almost a deep fat fried looking crust or just thick pizza crust? We gotta get you a camera![p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, Hya Tim..[p]I want that new Mavica MV-93 by Sony...Wow..what a camera. My birthday is coming up :-)
    But I will settle for a used MV-71 for grins..heeeee![p]Back to the crust..It was very good crust. near crunchy from the edge to about 2/3 thru to the center. Nicely light brown so I think I could have let it ride for another 5 minutes to crisp it up. The ceramic dish worked great as you mention with Fritz also confirming that. For a quick dough with excellent elastisity, that Betty Crocker stuff is neat and easy to use. Personally I like to get up to my elbows in flour and dough and make a mess..That give my wiffy something to do in bossing me around in the cleanup details...heeeee.[p]I will try and find em on the internet for a source for the group, or others may try also..Sassafras was the name of the company.[p]All around, its a super nice way to make pizza second only to methods direct on the stone.

• I have a quicker way. I buy the premade pizza with the self rising dough. I just throw them on the grill frozen and walla.................
    Some of that frozen pizza tastes pretty good.......