Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions before we start our XL build

FBGirl79
FBGirl79 Posts: 9
edited June 2015 in EGG Table Forum

Got my husband an XL this week for Father's Day and we are planning to start the build this weekend. Had a few questions before we get started.

We are planning to a pretty basic table out of cedar, top with a granite insert and lower shelf with granite insert. (Husband will pick out required bottle opener of course).

He just built us an 800sq ft deck that this will sit on so main priority is keeping it fire safe.

1) For the granite, can you use the 5/8" granite tiles that are sold now? The granite guy said they withstand up to 1000 degrees.  We were thinking of 18" & 24" squares for under the nest and for the top. The quoted price was a fraction of using a countertop remnant.

2) To notch or not to notch...that is the question. Do you like the egg sitting lower in the table with a notch for the hinge or just stick with a basic 26 3/4" hole and call it a day? If so, how big do you make the egg hole?

3) Table height. This is my husband's, I want to learn to use it as well for baking but he will be using it most of the time so I want it to be at a comfortable cooking height for him. He is 6'3, I'm 5'7. We were thinking of making the legs 29 or 30" plus ~5" casters. Is that too high? A lot of the plans we have seen says 32" but that seems really low and he doesn't want to be bending over to use it.

4) Dimensions: 34" X 72" Does this seem like a good size table for an XL? Will we be able to find a cover for it, any recommendations where to get one?

I think that's it for now. Thanks

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Not to be a buzz kill but I wouldn't build the table yet. I'd wait at least a year. It gives you a little time too see what you need and want. I've gone back to the best after 3 years and am liking it a lot. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    henapple said:
    Not to be a buzz kill but I wouldn't build the table yet. I'd wait at least a year. It gives you a little time too see what you need and want. I've gone back to the best after 3 years and am liking it a lot. 
    "best" or "nest"?

@henapple makes a good point about waiting a bit but, you'll either need a table for your egg or some type of work surface nearby.

I've got my large in a table and am 6'3" myself. I'll take some measurements at home tonight and give you my feedback regarding some of your dimension questions.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

We put a table nest on the bottom of it bc the plan was to put it in a table all along. We have a large deck it is going on and neither of us feel safe just having it sit on the deck. Not only for fire reasons but we also have a 1 yr old. We want it up off the deck and away from little hands. He is building it and if we see something down the road we want differently he can change or build something new. We aren't too worried about that right now just want to build something basic to get started using it. Currently it is sitting in the garage until we get something built to try it out.  

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Go to the kitchen and see how he works on the counter top if that is too low then you need to go higher for him, as all counter tops are generally the same height by building code. If it is uncomfortable then you need to raise it. I know I will probably have mine at 34" to the top surface as that works for me.

I personally would not notch it out as it looks ugly to me at least.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2015
    @FBGirl79, sorry for the delay. My table is 34 3/4" from the deck floor to the top of table; which includes 2 1/2" casters. I find that that height works for me. FWIW, the table top is 68x25" and there are 14 1/2" between the top of my bottom shelf and the table top.

I have a large so those FWIW measurements would need to be modified for the XL.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    It sounds like you might be planning on setting the egg directly on the granite ... yes?  If so, please change your plans.  Buy a table nest (very inexpensive) and incorporate that into your plans.  Use the granite, but also use a table nest.

A number of folks on the forum have placed their egg directly on granite or paving blocks ... when they looked under the stone, they found the wood had become discolored/charred due to heat.

Last weekend I checked the temp on the bottom of my large egg (it's in a nest) after it had been cooking along for awhile at a dome temp of 350 degrees.  The ceramic temp, exposed to air flow, was 540 degrees. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Opps, forgot my manners ... welcome to the forum ... enjoy.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    @Jeepster47 makes a good point, but, directly on the stone is okay if you do it like this. I do have some clay feet (purchase at Home Depot) that my egg sits on.

@TexanOfTheNorth ... I agree that it's safe from a heat stand point.  But, how about structurally?  The XL weighs 219 pounds in it's "as sold" condition.  And, your picture shows two cracks in the stone.  Hmmm.   At least there's a chance the upper rim of the base will catch it as it falls. :s

• TexanOfTheNorth
    @TexanOfTheNorth ... I agree that it's safe from a heat stand point.  But, how about structurally?  The XL weighs 219 pounds in it's "as sold" condition.  And, your picture shows two cracks in the stone.  Hmmm.   At least there's a chance the upper rim of the base will catch it as it falls. :s
    You are right about the cracks. That's one of the reasons I added the feet, so that I could spot cracks on the top of the paver as well. I keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the replies. We already have it in a nest. From my research before I even got his egg I knew we had to get the table nest. It will be sitting on a granite tile. We started building today and so far we have a basic cedar frame finished. I'll try to post pics with dimensions later tonight.

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Ergonomic training tells me to build for the SHORT person.  Measure stuff in your house and try the different heights for comfort.  Measure the height of an XL while in the NEST.   This is a good height, no?

And while the granite will withstand fairly high temps, it's ALSO gonna' transmit them TO the wood.   Egg belongs either on little ceramic feet or one of the table nests.  A small air gap is indicated.   Certainly 1" is enough.

I'd also build the table FIRST in Google Sketchup.      This is my rendering for an XL table.  
  • FBGirl79
    FBGirl79 Posts: 9

Got the frame and table top built today. All cedar. Decided to go with 29" legs (will add ~5"casters). Still have to pick up 2 granite tiles for under the nest and one to put on the top to protect the wood.

This was our first time using pocket holes but I didn't want the screws showing. Still have to pick out a stain and find time to do that seeing as how we are supposed to get rain everyday the next week.

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Several ways to do the hole nicely.  Jig saw with a skilled operator (freehand), jig saw with a homemade circle cutting jig, and router with circle cutting jig.  Rockler sells one for a router but you can make one out of thin plywood too.

Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29l1Bg4fcn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0plsAARgMA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    That's going to be a nice table; pocket screws work great, I used them on mine.

Looks like your legs are already stained so I guess you settled on that.
    The table is looking great so far!  Did you get it done in time for a 4th of July cook?  I just finished my table (the 7th I've built) this weekend in time for a BBQ.  I made extensive use of pockets screws on mine as well, but I would be concerned about whether they would support the weight of an egg over time.  At the same time, I tend to over-engineer everything I build.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    nklenke said:
    The table is looking great so far!  Did you get it done in time for a 4th of July cook?  I just finished my table (the 7th I've built) this weekend in time for a BBQ.  I made extensive use of pockets screws on mine as well, but I would be concerned about whether they would support the weight of an egg over time.  At the same time, I tend to over-engineer everything I build.
    Does your table have a notch for the hinge to drop down into or does it just barely miss table top when open?
  • nklenke
    nklenke Posts: 18
    Tspud1 said:
    Does your table have a notch for the hinge to drop down into or does it just barely miss table top when open?
    No notch.  The hinge just barely misses the table by about 1/16 of an inch.  I based the size of mine off the generic plans from BGE.  It's 32" x 60" with the egg centered exactly from front to back and sitting on a shelf that is 14 1/2" from the tabletop (12 1/2" + 2" for the table nest).
  • elef3u
    elef3u Posts: 12
    nklenke said:
    Tspud1 said:
    No notch.  The hinge just barely misses the table by about 1/16 of an inch.  I based the size of mine off the generic plans from BGE.  It's 32" x 60" with the egg centered exactly from front to back and sitting on a shelf that is 14 1/2" from the tabletop (12 1/2" + 2" for the table nest).
    And how big of a hole is that in the table top?

XL Big Green Egg  |  Weber Summit 670  |  Meat
  • nklenke
    nklenke Posts: 18
    elef3u said:
    nklenke said:
    Tspud1 said:
    And how big of a hole is that in the table top?
    26 1/4"
  • Putterrr
    Putterrr Posts: 10
    edited March 2016

Last weekend I checked the temp on the bottom of my large egg (it's in a nest) after it had been cooking along for awhile at a dome temp of 350 degrees.  The ceramic temp, exposed to air flow, was 540 degrees. 
    what was the temp of the shelf under the egg if you took that one.

thx