Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing PRIME RIB Questions

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Friends,

I've been researching prime rib.  I can't determine bone-in or boneless.  I also read where to have the bones removed, then put them back in and tie-up to cook.

I can't determine if there is a particular end of the roast to ask my butcher for (if one is better than the other). 

As you know, I am still inexperienced in choosing the best meat selections. Natural born lifelong learner.

Thanks folks.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Personally, I prefer bone on for prime rib. Not sure, myself, about one end vs. the other.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    i like the size and flavor of the big chuck side but i believe more like the tenderness of the loin side. i look for marbling on a good choice cut, prime has too much fat for my likes and it really needs to be cut out before cooking. bone in, salt heavily
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Bone-in or boneless both work. I normally get bone-in because family members like to gnaw on the ribs. Boneless will cook more evenly and develop more crust. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The one I have in the freezer, the bones are cut away from the meat already, but have been tied back on.  I bought a 4 bone a while back and cut it into 2 pieces so I could vacuum seal them and cook at a later time.  I have cooked one so far and am wanting to cook the other one soon, but I need to invite some friends over to help eat it.  A whole tenderloin is also nice to grill if you can find it at a reasonable cost.  The chuck side of course is going to be cheaper the the loin side.  I look forward to seeing you cook on it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I usually get bone in and have the butcher tie them back on.  Those beef ribs are awesome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    For a Prime Rib, you want it sectioned from a Standing Rib Roast, or NAMP #109. It consists of ribs 6-12, with 6-9 being toward the head(chuck end, or second cut) and 10-12, which is the loin end, or first cut. The first cut has a larger eye, which is more tender. I prefer the second cut as it has the spinalis dorsi(ribeye cap) which is the best part of the cow.

Getting bone in/boned is a personal preference. Bone-in provides a natural roasting rack that helps with insulating the roast. It does not add any flavor to the meat, but the bones themselves are surrounded by fat and connective tissue which are flavorful themselves. Boned allow you to tie the roast off into a cylinder for more even cooking and provide more surface area for seasoning. You can have the butcher/meat cutter tie the roast back on to the ribs which allow for you to season the roast and get the drippings from the ribs that make excellent jus.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Since mine are already cut, I was thinking of something like this when I cook them again.
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12916-stuffed-standing-rib-roast

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I usually purchase bone in and remove and re-tie the roast boneless, so it is as round as possible for more even cooking. I season and roast the ribs separately. 
    GWN
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Ya'll are killin me...now my brain is on fire....worse. I feel like I need to burp it before I think about anything else !!!

I "think" I want to go boneless. I "think" I want to ask for the loin section if that is a valid request.

I think, I am ready to dive in after looking at Ladeback69 's link !!!

I'll ponder a little longer. I will be out of town this weekend, so I still have some time to decide.

Thanks my good friends....you have given me good direction and plenty of it.

I'll follow up with pics of course when I pull the trigger !!!!

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I'm doing my first one this weekend....I'll hopefully post something =)

FYI, I got a 3 bone-in roast
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    I always get bone-in because I sous vide the ribs for 72 hours and then sear them after the roast is done. Also, deep fried bones are really tasty, if that is an option for you. Lastly you could even low and slow smoke the bones. There's so much  you can do with the bones that I would recommend getting bone-in. Even if you don't cook them with the roast itself, you can always save them for fun later. That said Publix always has the bones cut off and then tied back on.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Amazingribs.com - go there,  bones off. tie the roast round so it cooks evenly and use reverse sear. The bones are ideal by themselves or to make au jus. 
    I prefer the loin end. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I agree 100% with Skiddymarker. I tie the roast so it as round as I can get it. I like crust, so I cook bones off and do a reverse sear. I've done prime rib for christmas dinner 2 years in a row with great results. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dldawes1
    Options
    I like what I am seeing and hearing and reading !!!  Skiddymarker and abpgwolf , I will probably follow your ideas.

Thanks everyone !

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    why not buy a 2 bone cut from each end =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1
    Options
    fishlessman ...I like your thinking !!

Choice is $12.99/lb at Kroger.   I haven't checked with my butchers yet. I think I will def go prime if I can afford it !!!  I want it to meet the expected results of what the Egg is capable of producing !!!!!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    If you're planning to dry age, definitely bone on. After ageing you can decide if you want to cut into steaks with the bone attached or not.

Last time I did one, I removed the bone after dry ageing and had some delicious ribs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.