Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
edited June 2015 in Off Topic
I have never cooked on a flat top. But always loved diner burgers/breakfast and I am in love with Teppanyaki. So, I had some gift cards to Lowe's and decided to grab a Blackstone 36" griddle.

I started off with cleaning it with soapy water. Then dried it and cranked it up to high high heat. And boy did it get hot. I rubbed oil all over it and started the seasoning process. After about 30 minutes of wiping oil over the surface, it started looking pretty seasoned so I cut it off and went to the grocery to let it cool back down with it's fresh seasoning on it. 

When I got home I chopped up 4 yellow onions, Pre-heated the griddle to medium-low on all 4 burners and sauteed all the onions with a lot of oil. I have read that onions are good for seasoning because the acid helps break something down and it spreads the oil well. I did this till the onions were burnt and the griddle looked shiny black. Then I did some carrots because they were old and I felt like it. By the time that was done I had a great looking seasoning on it.

So we started with bacon!! I did 2 pounds of bacon all at once!! That really kicked off the seasoning as if everything else hadn't already. It was definitely the best bacon I have ever cooked. Then I fried a few eggs to see if they would stick. Negative. Glide around that top like it's a decade old!  

Now I finally have pictures!!

We made pancakes next using America's Test Kitchen recipe (excellence)

Then I made a burger so I'd have something to do with the Egg and Bacon!

And this morning I had a Bacon Egg and cheese sandwich!

I am in LOVE! It's like the Green Egg's opposite. I never thought I would be so excited about a new GASSER!
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    For those of you sick of seeing me post food every single day. Don't worry. My wife and baby are getting back in town today. So I imagine I'll fall back down to my once monthly posts, lol.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
    500 Posts: 3,177
    That's a cool griddle.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you need to get a cover for burgers, cover traps the steam 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thatgrimguy
    tjv said:
    you need to get a cover for burgers, cover traps the steam 

I need to find one with handles. I tried messing with a SS bowl but it was too clunky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Outstanding!
    Lowe's, huh?
    May I ask the price of this grill?
    P.S.
    Don't ever stop posting your great cooks!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Dang you!  Now, I want one! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    That's great and all, but can you get tasty grill lines? =)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Awesome.  Me want.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    @DieselkW Ha, I'll see your tasty grill lines and raise you an entire tasty mahogany surface.

@jaydub58 It was $300 plus tax. And I immediately need to go get the $35 cover.

@tjv Yup, gonna need to learn that trick! So far I bought the tools I could remember laying around my local waffle house. An iron press thing, 2 squirt bottles, a scraper and a couple spatulas. 

I'm really really impressed by this thing. The top is HEAVY duty. Took two people to move the grill onto my deck and assemble it. I hope it holds up to the South Mississippi humidity. I'll just have to make sure I cook on it often!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Dang you!  Now, I want one! 
    Yup, me too....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice. Your eggdom is the envy of many :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    That's a great price if it's well made! 
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Thatgrimguy, I have a section of 4X4 that I place underneath the vinyl cover in the center of the griddle, rain water will run off the cover rather than pool.  We enjoy the heck out of our griddle. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    @tarheelmatt, not hard to tell you're a Waffle House kind of guy!   :wink:  

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    jaydub58 said:

If it's good enough for Tiger...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I've had my eye on one and will pull the trigger when send my egg table to my in-laws.

Food looks awesome!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    jaydub58 said:

If it's good enough for Tiger...
    Thought Tiger liked Perkins.....

I actually don't go there at all.  I do like their hash browns though @jaydub58
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    I hope I can recreate teppenyaki style fried rice. I'll be eating that stuff every night if so.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I recently purchased one and it's great! Just as good as my eggs, but different. I've done burgers, 8 cups of shrimp fried rice all at once (try that with an egg), and many other things. Clean up is simple too.

The one thing that would make this griddle over the top is if it had adjustable legs. I swear I can't ever get this thing set to where it has a little tilt towards the gutter and towards the oil box.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Great, how am I going to talk the wife into this one now...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Is there a cover or something to keep it clean when not in use?
    Jacksonville FL
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I bought one last week from Cabella's. Cooked on it Saturday for the first time. Seasoned it with olive oil. Then cooked two pounds of bacon, two pounds of breakfast sausage, home fried potatoes O'brian, French toast, grilled apples in brown sugar and butter, and finally some fried eggs. I LOVE this thing! I did not bring a camera and still have troubles posting pics on this site(computer illiterate) But more cooks to come!

Anyone know of any good griddle/short order cookbook for recipes, techniques, temps?

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Thatgrimguy
    Dobie said:
    Is there a cover or something to keep it clean when not in use?
    Yes, and I need to buy it. It's $35. I bet it's garbage though. Will report after it comes in.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
     r8rs4lf said:
    I recently purchased one and it's great! Just as good as my eggs, but different. I've done burgers, 8 cups of shrimp fried rice all at once (try that with an egg), and many other things. Clean up is simple too.

The one thing that would make this griddle over the top is if it had adjustable legs. I swear I can't ever get this thing set to where it has a little tilt towards the gutter and towards the oil box.
    That would be great. Instead of legs, just something that would adjust the actual griddle top would be great. I'm thinking about making some wooden chocks to level it. The grease trap could be slightly deeper and the drain could be better thought out. But overall I'm really impressed with it. I'm going to LOVE cooking on it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Man that looks awesome.  I love griddles.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @Thatgrimguy , you are winning at life.  Love the pics!  Really good looking eats.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Blackstone cover is actually made pretty well. For $35 it is better than I expected. I bought Cabellas spatula/squirt bottle combo pack. Those suck. I need to find better hardware for cooking on it.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I would make a cover out of sheet metal for that. 
    Jacksonville FL