Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron with Chimichurri Butter

Options
My first attempt at grilling a Flat Iron steak.  I've made them plenty on the stove, but not in a long while.

Made a marinade of olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.  Let it marinade about 1.5 hours before wiping off all the excess and patting dry the steak.

Heated the small BGE dome to about 500 degrees, then grilled uncovered 3.5 minutes per side to 120 degrees internal temperature.

Came out exactly to our liking.  Served it up with some chimichurri butter, along with sides of mashed potatoes and garden peas.  Probably the best Flat Iron I've ever served up.

The marinade:

On the grill:

Resting:

Dinner:

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Flat Iron takes a marinade exceptionally well. Nice job!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    yum!
    Options
    Nice!!! That chimichurri butter looks ridiculous.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Home run! I'm a huge chimichurri fan but have never made a compound butter.... Brilliant!!! How did it taste, and did the vinager affect the butter at all?
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Wow!!
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You could garnish that plate with a pipe wrench and I would still think it looks great!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is Killer...I love anything with chimichurri.. Great post and cook.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Home run! I'm a huge chimichurri fan but have never made a compound butter.... Brilliant!!! How did it taste, and did the vinager affect the butter at all?
    The butter came out spoon-licking good; even cilantro-avoiding DH went for seconds.   The vinegar did not effect the texture of the butter at all.  

I used a 2:1 ratio of unsalted butter to chimichurri sauce, and then seasoned with kosher salt to taste.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dang!! That looks great. You just picked up a chimichurri sauce at the store?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Dang!! That looks great. You just picked up a chimichurri sauce at the store?
    The chimichurri was home made.  Here's a recipe (holds up well in the fridge):

1 t. minced garlic
    1/2 shallot, finely chopped
    1/4 c. tightly packed fresh parsley leaves
    1/4 c. tightly packed cilantro leaves
    1/4 c. loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
    1/4 t. red pepper flakes
    1/2 t. kosher salt
    1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper
    2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice (more to taste)
    6 T. olive oil

Combine all ingredients except the oil in a food processor or mini chopper.  Pulse until fine
    finely chopped.  

Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until all the ingredients are well combined, about 30-60
    seconds.  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Looks and sounds fantastic!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota