Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flipping veggies while controlling temperature

Options
Hi all - 

First time post!  I did some searches to find if there were previous discussions on this topic, but couldn't find any.  My apologies if this is redundant.

I've had my XLBGE for about 6 months and couldn't be happier.  

Last weekend, I was grilling slices of eggplant at about 400 direct heat.  On Friday, I did maybe 10 slices and everything went great.  The second night, I was cooking for a larger crowd and did about 4x that many (LOVE the large surface area of the XL!)

When I went to flip the ~40 slices, the dome was open for a bit of time, so enough air got in to raise the temperature about 150 degrees.  Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to keep the temperature down when adjusting this much food?  My only thought would be to open, flip ~10, close, wait a minute, open, flip ~10 more, etc.  Doing that, I'm concerned about burning before everything is flipped.  Any ideas?

Thanks all!
Upstate NY - XLBGE Since December 2014

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get a metal basket that closes, flip entire basket in a few seconds and close the Egg.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    Keep the bottom draft door closed when grilling with the lid open
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If it's gonna be open an extended amount of time, close the bottom vent 50-60% while flipping. Just remember to open back up. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Another option to what has already been suggested is to pull the cooking grid off to a safe area and close the dome. Flip them all and put the grid back on. This will require good gloves or tools to pull the grid out, as well as a surface that can handle the hot grid while you flip.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I always try to undercomplicate things. You let in a little air...temp goes up for a few minutes....don't worry about it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WineAndSwine
    Options
    Thanks all!  Depending on the situation, I'm pretty sure I'll use all of these suggestions.  
    Upstate NY - XLBGE Since December 2014
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I try to grill up large pieces of veggies and chop them up after grilling to keep flipping at a minimum.  Skewers can help as well.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    +1 on all. All great ideas. 1 safety tip, though, don't close the draft door and then open the dome. Open the dome and then close the draft door. If you do it the wrong way the fire will use up all the oxygen and decrease the pressure inside. When you open the oxygen will rush in, creating a 4-6 ft fire ball that will take care of those pesky eyebrows for you. I found this out early in my egging.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158036/importance-of-burping-your-egg#latest
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE