Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini max beef ribs

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
Took the day off for a family day. Beef ribs on the mm. Rolling at 225 under heavy hickory smoke. We'll see how they turn out. Honestly, if they suck I'm not that concerned. I'm hanging w the famdamly on a beautiful day when I should be working. Hooowahhh. 

Oh yeah...and a little El Jimador too.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Every day with the family is a beautiful day...ribs look like they are off to a good start. Enjoy both!.

Gotta try beef ribs one of these day, been eggin' for quite a while and have been spoiled by BB backs and butts. Have a good one.

Opelika, Alabama
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Kevin, it could be raining sideways and if you're home with the fam AND egging, it beats workin!

looking forward to the results. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    How on earth did I miss this?!  Looks fantastic Kevin. Got a finished or plated shot man?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I'm standing by as well!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Don't leave us hang'n.  El Jimidor get the best of ya?  I made some short ribs on the MM yesterday, one of my favorite things...
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    And..............
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ksmyrl
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments. Sorry... no finished pics. Family, friends, and yes...El Jimador meant no pics were taken. The beef ribs were awesome. What's worse? I didn't get pics of the 10 lb butt I did on the MM today either. Turboed  it at 300 for 9 hrs. One of my best yet.  But being at the lake with a group of great friends, family, and really good beverages means no cameras. 

Have a great one yall. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Please elaborate on the MM 10# Turbo Butt. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^^^ Kevin what set-up did you do on the turbo....Woo with stone w/ or w/out pan?  Did you still have lump left?  I'm gonna guess you could've went 2 more hrs if you had to with what was left. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    10# butt on a MM?!  That's great!  Details please.

I've been really liking my MM in the week that I've had it.  Yesterday I took it out front and did some quick hot dogs for the neighbours who were having a garage sale, then a spatchcock for supper…it's great!  When I did the chicken last night, total time from lighting MM to done cooking was 65 minutes, hard to beat that!!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    9 hours for a "turbo" ?  Did you foil it or just bump the dome temp? 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2015
    Options
    noregard said:
    10# butt on a MM?!  That's great!  Details please.

I've been really liking my MM in the week that I've had it.  Yesterday I took it out front and did some quick hot dogs for the neighbours who were having a garage sale, then a spatchcock for supper…it's great!  When I did the chicken last night, total time from lighting MM to done cooking was 65 minutes, hard to beat that!!
    Well at the egg fest yesterday they did a 15# turkey on the mini max. I think fire ring out, on a stand. They cooked 2 very impressive!
    Seattle, WA
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @skinnyv , I must be doing something wrong then.  If memory serves me right, I barely fit a 14lb turkeys on the medium I used to have… a 15 in the MM is impossible for me to envision.  I'd love to see how they fit that in there. 
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fire ring out, PS on the bowl I think and bird sitting upright on stand. They claimed 15 lbs....even if it was 12# still it was pretty great. They did 2.
    Seattle, WA
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Sorry for the delay yall...was at the lake all weekend and am just now seeing your responses. For the 10lb butt I used the standard plate setter from BGE and wrapped it with a double layer of foil. There was not any room under the grate for a drip pan. I started out planning to turbo it...and got the egg to 350ish but got worried about the drippings burning to a crisp and tainting the meat. So I dropped it down to 275-300 for the rest of the day. We were in no hurry and this was for dinner so I had time. I did foil it (a first for me) at the 6 hr mark. It was probing at 170 by then and I was still worried about the burned drippings cause it was rolling a ton of smoke...all day. At the 8 hr mark it probed 195 with almost no resistance. We were still drinking, fishing, tubing, jet skiing, so I just let it ride. At dinner time, the 9 hr mark it literally probed effortlessly. I pulled it off, unwrapped it and it nearly pulled itself. One of my buddies (who was at the lake this weekend) gives me a hard time because he is a Weber guy, doesn't understand why I spent $500 on a "tiny little egg". This butt was to die for. It was the perfect consistency and everyone loved it, even the Weber guy. I had some of @RRP's homemade sauce and my own homemade NC style sauce. My buddie was officially impressed when we looked and I had nearly 1/2 of the lump left that I started with. I couldn't believe it...I bet I had another 3-4 hrs to go if needed. So I'm sold on this little egg. My only sort of complaint was I had trouble getting it hotter than 300* after putting in the plate setter and the giant butt. I had to open the bottom vent wide open and even slide open the daisy wheel for over an hour. I had calibrated my thermo that morning so I don't think that was the issue. Anyway, I fed 12 folks using"Precious", I can't say enough good things about her.

Thanks for looking and responding. And yes, no pics. My phone stayed in the boat all day, I never even turned it on. I love those days.