Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Drink help

Options
RiverDoc
RiverDoc Posts: 572
Im sure this has been asked before but I'm looking for a new drink. Currently I drink , blue moon , Jack and coke or my wife's favorite sweet water 420. I need a change. What do recommend I also like scotch but I know nothing about what to look for? Thanks for any suggestions.
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Doesn't sound like it would be up your alley, but might try the lighter liquors.  Summer is perfect for them. 

My favorites are Tito's vodka or Bombay Sapphire gin.....either with tonic. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Four Roses Single Barrel. Or any of the Four Roses bourbons. Make as an old fashioned, on the rocks, w a splash of water. My favorite is on the rocks w a tiny splash of aromatic bitters. If you like JD you may like bourbon. Although my dad always says "if you drink jack and coke that just means you don't like jack daniels"...but he is a purist, I get it honestly. 

My wife's favorite is crystal light lemonade and rum, w lots of ice...it is really good on a hot day. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you want to start with Scotch, Speyside distillers are a good place to start. Glenfiddich, MaCallan, The Glenlivet are popular. Highland is accessible too, with Oban and Glenmorangie. 
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    @ksmyrl that's funny, my wife loves the same drink in the summer. Thanks I'll try the Four Roses. We are going on another cruise this fall and you can bring your own liquor so I'm looking for something new
    -Todd
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 @Eggcelsior. Great Scotch recommendations. A great easy sipping bourbon, and I'm partial to fine bourbon is Basil Hayden's. Very fine!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    +1 @Eggcelsior. Great Scotch recommendations. A great easy sipping bourbon, and I'm partial to fine bourbon is Basil Hayden's. 

BH. That is all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Another good on a hot day is what I call a drunk Palmer. I love Arnold Palmers (half lemonade and half iced tea). But after golf or mowing the lawn I'll do a third tea, a third, lemonade, and a third Appletons rum. Makes me want to cut grass today. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Another good on a hot day is what I call a drunk Palmer. I love Arnold Palmers (half lemonade and half iced tea). But after golf or mowing the lawn I'll do a third tea, a third, lemonade, and a third Appletons rum. Makes me want to cut grass today. 
    I always called any variation of an Arnold Palmer with alcohol a John Daly.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ksmyrl
    Options
    Acn said:
    ksmyrl said:
    I did too for years. Then I was corrected by the bar tender at the golf club...a John Daly has sweet tea flavored vodka in it...specifically John Daly's brand. I've also called them a spiked Palmer. But I like the John Daly name the best. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Acn said:
    ksmyrl said:
    I did too for years. Then I was corrected by the bar tender at the golf club...a John Daly has sweet tea flavored vodka in it...specifically John Daly's brand. I've also called them a spiked Palmer. But I like the John Daly name the best. 
    Fair enough, but I'd ask if the bartender is generally a reputable bartender?  For example, if he's one of those bartenders who as "Gin or vodka" after somebody orders a martini, then I'm not worried about his interpretation of a John Daly.   ;)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Haha, I think the alcohol + Arnold Palmer drink preceded his getting involved, he just tried for a while to sell his own brand of it and protect it.  I also think it predated sweet tea flavored vodkas. I like it with bourbon instead of vodka.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for some reason the bourbons are tasting too sweet for me lately, but really liking bulleit rye, even with a little sugar syrup in an old fashioned i like the rye better. lately though and much less expensive, new amsterdam vodka moscow mules, my new summer drink
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    =) Gin and Tonic with a squirt of lime juice. If you like sparkling wine, or your wife does, have a French 75. Gin, Lemon Juice, a splash of bitters or Grand Marnier and top with Sparkling. Goes down easy, but hits you like an artillery piece hence the name. One of my favorites.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    i have been on an old fashioned kick lately.  using bulleit rye as well. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    1 part Johnny Walker Red
    1 part Disaronno
    1 part dry or rouge vermouth

Combine over ice in a shaker, shake, pour into a martini glass or lowball.

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Try my favorite....a Jack Daniels Manhattan on the rocks , stirred not shaken.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    mojitos are tough to beat for summer time.  super easy to make too
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Acn said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Acn said:
    ksmyrl said:
    Fair enough, but I'd ask if the bartender is generally a reputable bartender?  For example, if he's one of those bartenders who as "Gin or vodka" after somebody orders a martini, then I'm not worried about his interpretation of a John Daly.   ;)
    You have a really good point here. I ordered a martini, up, the other night. And he brought me a vodka martini. Sent it back and he said if I want gin I should have requested it. Huh? He's a nice guy but just an average bartender at best 

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    No more liquor for me!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @RiverDoc, which cruise line lets you bring your own liquor?
    I need to know that!
    Please
    Please
    Please     :prayer: 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    A little birdie told me that one of our guests here is a Tom Collins man...
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    hornhonk said:
    No more liquor for me!
    How many times have I said that?....
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    What I lack in experience on the BGE, I'd like to think I make up for in cocktails and spirits. 

A  good summer drink I like to make is
    2oz bourbon
    1oz grand marnier
    Equal parts lemon juice and simple syrup to taste (usually .5oz each)
    dash of grenadine 
    shaken over ice, served up with lemon twist

ive been experimenting with absinthe lately and have gotten a pretty refreshing vodka cocktail down
    2 oz vodka 
    .75 oz aperol
    .5oz lemon juice 
    .5oz home made Rosemary syrup
    3 dashes lavender bitters
    use just a touch of absinthe and grand marnier in your serving glass (coupe) and swirl it around, shake the other ingredients over ice and strain

regarding bourbon and scotch

four roses is about as good as you can get for quality and price. 
    Scotch, macallan 12 is a good starter but balvenie 14 is my Favorite. If you are looking to spruce it up a litte, serve over ginger beer and crushed ice 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Seagrams sweet tea vodka and water. I also like titos with blueberry pomegranite juice. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RiverDoc
    Options
    @jaydub58 its Disney cruise line. This past year we took a 5th of Jack for me a 5th of vanilla vodka for my wife, my yeti and her tervis . They have self serve drink stations where all their soft drinks are free. Although we did buy some drinks it sure helps keep an 8 day bar tab down 
    -Todd
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    @tonyled  I tried my first mojito at a mixology class or a cruise this past year. I'm not sure if it was great or the fact that it was the 5th or 6th drink in a row but I'm willing to try agIn 
    -Todd
  • Stuckinohio
    Options
    I did not read all the comments, so I don't know if anyone said Blantons or not. If you are looking for a quality bourbon at a decent price, that would be my suggestion.
    as with any bourbon, remember to drink it the right way, and it won't burn going down. In fact, a quality bourbon will allow you to taste the caramel, oak, and other flavors before you swallow it.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    @tonyled  I tried my first mojito at a mixology class or a cruise this past year. I'm not sure if it was great or the fact that it was the 5th or 6th drink in a row but I'm willing to try agIn 
    be careful, they sneak up on you.  if you ever land in vegas go to casa fuente in caesars.  their specialty is a mojito and a tangerine mojito and both are unreal!
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    @YukonRon @bgebrent @Eggcelsior finally starting my beverage quest. Sitting here with a Basil Hayden and I have to say... Good call! It is a great way to start this off. Next I'm going to get a bottle of Four Roses single barrel as per @ksmyrl . Cheers
    -Todd
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    For bourbon I really like Basil Hayden's. It's made with a lot of Rye.
    It's only 80 proof. To me it is very smooth.