Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why BGE?

Options
13»

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Or a dog helping a Buckeye! 
    Amen Brother! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We even have some Jackets thrown in there with the Dawgs. 

@DoubleEgger @AintEZbeingme
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @BYS1981 What's even more Cray Cray is one egger is a Raiders Fan and the other a Broncos Fan & getting along LoL.  Eggheads helping eggheads. That's what it's about IMHO. 
    Also a Chiefs fan getting along with the Bronco and Raiders fan and this Royals fan getting along with the other baseball fans on here. Our common bond and enjoyment is the BGE IMHO.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @jamorgan3777  ... Soooo, which forum is responding to your question best??
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Primo forum has 22 responses
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @BYS1981 What's even more Cray Cray is one egger is a Raiders Fan and the other a Broncos Fan & getting along LoL.  Eggheads helping eggheads. That's what it's about IMHO. 
    Also a Chiefs fan getting along with the Bronco and Raiders fan and this Royals fan getting along with the other baseball fans on here. Our common bond and enjoyment is the BGE IMHO.  
    While I give @NPHuskerFL and @Ladeback69 grief about their football teams it is in good fun, and I agree bbq overcomes NFL stuff.

I would host you guys at a raiders tailgate, if I was going, np.. but 3 lil ones doesn't let me get to as many games as I used to.
  • jamorgan3777
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of the thoughts. Like I said, I posted this same question on the "big 3" forums and as you can imagine, the answers were swayed a little based on the forum. However, there was a common theme for each of the cookers that was different, and very informative in my search for which grill to purchase. 

In general, the BGE egg responses revolved around
    1. Warranty
    2. Name/community
    3. Reputation as "first"

In general, the Primo responses revolved around
    1. Versatility of the cook system
    2. Made in the USA
    3. Oval shape

In general the KJ responses revolved around
    1. Value/price (although I think that has changed now)
    2. Everything that comes with it
    3. Service and warranty

Out of these three, I think the Primo responses resonate the most with me. I am not that worried about the warranty (20 years is essentially lifetime), I prize versatility and Primo does appear to be the most versitile, and I do a lot of large cooks that I think the oval shape will be useful for.

I have seen all three first hand and I have to say that I like the fit/finish of BGE the best, I think Primo is slightly behind the other two in that respect, however and I would give the "hinge battle" to KJ, theirs is massive and keeps the lid very stable. For me the price will be essentially the same. about $1400 for the cooker and all the accessories I want. (how Primo charges $60+ for two wire racks is a little frustrating though)

Also, a couple of folks on here have commented that I have been a member since 2010 and am just now deciding to purchase. This is true, but its not that I have been deliberating for 5 years  its that I have just gotten serious about setting up an outdoor living/cooking space and want to put a ceramic cooker in that space. I was plenty happy with the webers that I had/have its just now I want to take up less space (dont want to do separate gasser, kettle and bullet again). 

Thanks again to everyone for your help. This was a really informative exercise.

I will be ordering my Primo XL400 next week.  (No offense to the BGE lovers!  I am sure I would be happy with one of those as well!)
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
     I think you should get an Egg. Just use half moon baking stone to do indirect and direct at the same time. Also BGE doesn't have any seams in ceramic. Go green
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    My MBGE was a 40th bday gift. But I talked about the egg a lot. Persuasive positive talk close to a big life milestone always works =)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Best of luck with the new grill and hope that it provides you many years of enjoyment. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Look forward to your cooks on the dark side....
    all the best - Skiddy
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Toxarch said:
     Heck, one guy has his personal cell number on there and said to call anytime if there's a question while cooking. He said he's gotten calls at 1 am before. I don't plan to do that, but that's some dedication by the salesman and he's not a store owner.
    "Hello"
    "I am sorry to call so late, but I am cooking a butt and the temp went from 225 to 224! What should I do?"

If I get a call at 1AM it better be to tell me someone is in the hospital, someone needs to go the hospital, or someone needs to be bailed out. 

I have received all of the above. I am ugly enough as it is. You don't want to see me without my beauty rest. 
    Bail is understandable.  Need doctors at 1am call the ambulance.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    Why a BGE? Because my wife bought it for me last Christmas.

Although, I've been wanting a new cooker for a while. Been using a Weber kettle for years. Before that I had a large side firebox smoker. After about 20 years, the large smoker was rusting through. So I picked up the Weber and used it for a few years. But never seemed to have the money for an Egg or KJ. My wife has some coworkers with BGE's and she talked to them about their experiences. One of them said he had a KJ originally, but ended up taking a sledge hammer to it and then buying an egg. Not sure the story behind that. They also talked to her about some of the options and accessories they liked. So now I have an Egg.

After I got the Egg, I started surfing and reading more about using it and then discovered this forum. It's been very helpful for a new Egger.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    BGE dealer support, bottom line.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    s_claus said:
    Why a BGE? Because my wife bought it for me last Christmas.

Although, I've been wanting a new cooker for a while. Been using a Weber kettle for years. Before that I had a large side firebox smoker. After about 20 years, the large smoker was rusting through. So I picked up the Weber and used it for a few years. But never seemed to have the money for an Egg or KJ. My wife has some coworkers with BGE's and she talked to them about their experiences. One of them said he had a KJ originally, but ended up taking a sledge hammer to it and then buying an egg. Not sure the story behind that. They also talked to her about some of the options and accessories they liked. So now I have an Egg.

After I got the Egg, I started surfing and reading more about using it and then discovered this forum. It's been very helpful for a new Egger.
    Yikes.  I'm not saying the KJ is better than the Egg by any means, but I can't possibly imagine taking a sledgehammer to mine.   :)   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There's no law that says you can't be on both forums.   =)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight