Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt/Fresh Ham/shoulder

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hellllp!
What is the difference?
I'm not the sharpest knnife in the drawer and the quickest way from my question to an answer is from my friends in the forum.
I've considered a Boston Butt but still am a little confused. I know parts is parts but they don't all always cook the same.
Thanks in advance. Gonna try to make the thing in Waldorf MD in April hope to meet some of you there.

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Carey, the way I understand it is, the Boston Butt is the butt end of the pork shoulder. It's like a ham, but from the southern end of the hog. HAAA! Just a little dig at my northern friends..

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carey,
    The shoulder has two parts. The picnic, and the Boston Butt (sometimes called a blade roast). Both make good pulled pork. I understand the picnic has a slightly ham-ier taste. It also has a thick skin on it usually. The Boston butt is the upper part of the shoulder. It makes killer pulled pork. Quite a bit of fat. [p]In this area, the country style ribs, are actually pork shoulder cut into fat strips. [p]Didn't fully understand your question, but I hope this helps.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Carey,[p]The shoulder is from the pig's front leg. The upper part of it is the Boston butt (makes a lot of sense, huh?); the lower part is the picnic. [p]Fresh ham is from the hind leg of the pig.[p]Hope to see you at Eggfest -[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Carey, checkout the link below. If you lose it in the futue, in in our links section at http://yyyz.net/bge

[ul][li]Pork Producers[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Carey,[p]Cook the picnic and butt cuts exactly the same - low and slow (200-225 for as long as it takes to reach an internal temp of 185-200). The ham requires a higher temp (300-350) and is cooked like a roast.[p]Spin

• Spin,et al
    Thanks I think I'm going to start with the ham and later in the spring try the butt.
    Again, thanks!