Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWOO2 Question

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
I'm considering buy it but was curious,  how hard is it to remove the plate setter when it's hot.   I would love to hear your reviews about it.
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options

Physically, it's very easy - the plate setter doesn't weigh much.

You'll need quality gloves (we use welders' gloves) and a heat-proof landing place - somewhere to put it - that's out of the reach of small children and stupid pets.

What's nice is that you can leave food in place on the grate as you remove the plate setter and then return the Woo to your Egg.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• golfguyjosh
    golfguyjosh Posts: 196
    Options
    If you have heat gloves for the stove it is not bad at all to remove. Bare hands would probably hurt just a bit. I find the harder part is where do I set everything once it is stupid hot lol.
    Jacksonville, FL
  • g37
    Options
    Thanks  4 the all the responses. I'm definitely  gonna get it soon.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you have a plate setter, you're going to love the PSWoo2 ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• g37
    Options
    I have a plate setter.  The AR rig is nice 2 but I don't wanna waste my plate setter. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @g37 Nice thing about the woo2 is CGS now has a raised grid stand and sliding D grid . Which will allow for raised direct or 2 level cooking.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • g37
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'm gonna use my secret credit tomorrow 2 buy it. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    You will LOVE the Woo.  If you like cast iron,  be sure and get the CI version.   I use my Woo on virtually every single cook.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I use pot holders. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I never had to remove a hot platesetter from the pswoo2 but it should be fairly easy with welding gloves.  When I want to go direct after an indirect cook, I simply move the cooking grid back to the egg after removing the pswoo2.

Options
    I bought the PSWOO2 before I really learned about the Adjustable Rig and all the configurations that is capable of. I bought the extender for the PSWoo2 and love having the additional level.  If I had it to do over again, I would buy the AR instead. Either way, you will be happy with the purchase.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• g37
    Options
    Thanks  guys. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
     paqman said:
    I never had to remove a hot platesetter from the pswoo2 but it should be fairly easy with welding gloves.  When I want to go direct after an indirect cook, I simply move the cooking grid back to the egg after removing the pswoo2.
    I thought this as well but maybe he wants  a raised direct   after an indirect..
    This would be easy with TWO woos  lol.    Heck  I have the AR  & after an indirect, it's still hot to remove either the 13" stone off the spyder  OR the 13x17" stone  from level 1.5  

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I have the PSWOO3, which is identical to the 2 but also has a spider ring at the bottom. I use it almost every cook, with or without the plate setter. If I want to go raised direct, the plate setter is really easy to remove using gloves,  

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• EggPerfection
    EggPerfection Posts: 124
    Options
    There is a really cool tool out there that grabs it and allows you to pick it up without touching it.  It's simple and effective.
    Best - Jack
  • g37
    Options
    @EggPerfection do u know the name of the tool?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think you're looking for this item ... http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-claw.html

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• g37
    Options
    I have a tool to remove  plate  setter but it won't work if the plate setter is in the woo.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii