Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs/Restaurant Depot

logchief
logchief Posts: 1,415
Well I tried everywhere I could think of to find some whole 3 or 4 rib plates of short ribs here in Fresno to no avail.  But fear not, come Sept. there will be a Restaurant Depot opening in Fresno,CA.  Guess I'll be in trouble then.  Just need to figure out the membership gig for those of us without a business license, I think there is a way through KC BBQ.

Anyway,  wanted some more shorties, so settled for some from Winco and they're on the egg.  Yeah and with my shi$$y beer.  Finish pics later.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That beverage is responsible for this mornings headache. Going back to the high quality Busch Light tonight. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • logchief
    Finish them up and FTC'd them for a while.  Actually got done sooner than the other I've cooked, but darn tasty.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    Looks good to me. Nicely Done!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    They look great.

Start saving your money now for when Restaurant Depot opens.  Join the Kansas City BBQ Society a few weeks before it opens so you'll have the membership info available. Just show your card on the way in to RD and they will give you a day pass.  You can go in as many times as you want and get a day pass each time.

RD sells Chuck Short Ribs for about $3.50/pound and Plate Short Ribs for about $6.50/pound.  They also have beef back ribs but I don't know the price since I stopped buying them now that I have been cooking the Chuck ribs.  My closest RD store just started carrying boneless Chuck Short RIbs for about $6/pound.  They have no bones (obviously) but also have a lot of the fat and the membranes removed.  They cook very well.  A recent cook of mine is at:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181202/boneless-beef-chuck-short-ribs#latest

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • logchief
    Shiff said:
    They look great.

Start saving your money now for when Restaurant Depot opens.  Join the Kansas City BBQ Society a few weeks before it opens so you'll have the membership info available. Just show your card on the way in to RD and they will give you a day pass.  You can go in as many times as you want and get a day pass each time.

RD sells Chuck Short Ribs for about $3.50/pound and Plate Short Ribs for about $6.50/pound.  They also have beef back ribs but I don't know the price since I stopped buying them now that I have been cooking the Chuck ribs.  My closest RD store just started carrying boneless Chuck Short RIbs for about $6/pound.  They have no bones (obviously) but also have a lot of the fat and the membranes removed.  They cook very well.  A recent cook of mine is at:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181202/boneless-beef-chuck-short-ribs#latest

Thanks Shiff, that's the deal I was trying to remember.  There's a local meat mkt. here locally that sells the boneless but they're cut up, I may give them a try next time.

I'll definitely do some of those you cooked when RD opens up.  For now I'll just sit and pout until they open.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    One  more thing about Restaurant Depot. They sell meat in case lots and also a sub-set of those in individual packages.  Cases are around 50 pounds or so and might be too  much for 1 person to package and freeze.  If you speak to the store manager or the meat department manager, they will usually sell you smaller quantities of the ones that are only sold in cases.  If they don't carry a particular cut of meat, you can also contact the store manger and they will usually order you some - I asked about getting shoulder tenders (also known as petite tenders or Teres Major) and they said they could order me some when I wanted them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA