Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegetables

Options
I love meat, but I love veggies too. Any great tips for grilling vegetables on the BGE? What are your favorite vegetables to grill? I don't want to add bacon but I do enjoy a little oil or seasoning. :)

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Head of cauliflower roasts nicely. No seasoning at all it gets sweet. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I am not a rabbit so no I do not. J/k.  I honestly like peppers and onions tossed in S&P and a little EVOO and grilled in a grill basket.  Corn is always a fan favorite.  I realize this isn't a veggie but grilled peaches and pineapple are delicious. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sprouts in the CI with some EVOO, dried cranberries and/or cherries and usually add some bacon pieces or salt pork, but could be left out. 

Or red potatoes, garlic, pepper, shrooms in the drip pan under pork loin. Season to taste. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I almost never grill vegetables. I love'em and eat them almost daily, but I rarely  do them on the grill. Asparagus is excellent with a little olive oil and s&p, right on the grid.

Brussels sprouts can be good too, in a cast-iron skillet, halved and seared until nicely browned.

Sauté a shallot and then add a bag of thawed peas. Serve with a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

Burnt carrots or burnt tomatoes à la Francis Mallmann are great!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/burnt-carrots-with-goat-cheese-parsley-arugula-and-crispy-garlic-chips-354729

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1999723_1999721_1999711,00.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    In the wok or the veggie basket. Little EVOO, salt and pepper and maybe a little balsamic vinegar.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Peppers, eggplant, and onions cooked direct are great on an Egg. 

Peppers and eggplant are straightforward. Here's an onion recipe:

Peel the onion, slice in half crosswise (i.e.. midway between the root and top).  Turn the onion halves so that the root and top ends are down.  Cut  partially down towards the top or the root end.  Spread the onion like a "Bloomin Onion" at Outback Steakhouse.  Mix soy sauce (2 Tbsps), two or three drops of sesame seed oil, and, if you like it, some hot sauce (Sriracha or Franks).  If you don't like hot sauce, add black pepper.  Pour it on the onion halves.  Cook direct on the BGE.   Really good.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I haven't had it, but I'm planning on making this salad sometime by Monday or Tuesday:
    https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&partNumber=RECIPE_20169

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

Cherry tomatoes are amazing.  Got that recipe from BGE email last week.  Cherry toms halved, drizzle olive oil, sea salt and mix of herbs.  Pop in the Egg when you close it down and leave over night.  Go great in salad.

Leeks are also fantastic.  Little oil and sea salt. 

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited May 2015
    Options
    roasted beets, roasted fennel bulb with parmesian, squash and zuke cassrole or ratatouille, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, crispy oiled and rubbed oyster mushrooms, veggie kabobs, warm german cabbage salad with champagne vinegar walnuts and bacon. i had to add the bacon and serve that with pork chops =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah, I forgot about roasted beets! Delicious!!

And speaking of fennel, this one is wonderful!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/haricots-verts-roasted-fennel-and-shallots-231101

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Yeah, I forgot about roasted beets! Delicious!!

And speaking of fennel, this one is wonderful!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/haricots-verts-roasted-fennel-and-shallots-231101
    usually do the beets and fennel at the same time. roasted brussels is good too, roast them at high heat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Off course, whole potatos and sweet potatoes. Corn.

A standard for me is roasted root veg pouches. Potatoes, onions, carrots, parsley root if I can find it), whole garlic cloves, S&P, and butter, all in chunks, and wrapped tightly in HD foil. Cooked raised, direct, till butter is sizzling. Then flip. Continue till a therm in the potatoes reads 200, open and allow to brown some.

I've tried roasted heartsd of romaine, but wasn't impressed.

Stuffed whole squash or pumpkins.

I intend to try grilling whole carrots direct till partially charred. Also, slices of celeriac root.

Local Asian market carries a bunch of stuff that I may try, like burdock (gobo) root, taro root, and other things that are pretty much a mystery to me.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    asparagus w/little olive oil and salt/pepper - grilled ~3-4 min a side - Good stuff.

I cant believe I just said that.

Garnerville, NY