Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you guys have a pickey eater in the family?

MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797
I do......and its my wife. I lover her to death, but here is the no go for food: Chili, hotdogs ( she will eat sausage dogs...I don't get it...because a hot dog is just a mild sausage), chowders, seafood ( except shrimp and lobster ), tomatoes, and the list goes on. I gave up trying to cook for the both of us. I just cook for my self on the egg
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Wilma can't eat MSG and that stuff is everywhere!  She hates spicy and a boatload of other things.  Yippee.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    My fiancée was a very picky eater. When we started dating I told her "it's not that you don't like the food, you just haven't had it cooked properly for you yet."  She's started trying everything that I cook for her and it's opened up a whole new world of foods for her. Lamb, sausages, pork of any sort, and meatloaf are all now ok in her book. Seafood is still persona non grata, but I've got a feeling that's a fight I'll never win. Thank goodness we live on the coast and are surrounded by lots of places that cook great seafood. 
  • MaC122
    @ChillyWillis haha....there is no introducing food to my wife. Meatloaf is on the no go list, too. It drives me crazy because I want to travel the globe and eat cool food, knowing that I will have to plan the event around her. I lover her, but she eats like a 2 year old
  • MaC122
    and you know whats messed up? She will put egg and breadcrumbs into her hamburgers! I tell her that she just made meatloaf.....
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    MaC122 said:
    and you know whats messed up? She will put egg and breadcrumbs into her hamburgers! I tell her that she just made meatloaf.....
    You are 100% correct she's just made a traditional meatloaf.  Maybe next you make one slap it on a bun and tell her it's a burger. Best of luck is all I can say. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ChillyWillis
    MaC122 said:
    You should slip a tiny bit of spices in on the sly next time when she's not paying attention and when she says "wow this was really good"..... You've got her.

#thestruggle
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I feel for you @MaC122, that kinda blows, to be willing to do the family cooking but not have it received well.  I hope you will permit me to brag just a little.  I cook exclusively for my 12 year old daughter, whom you would think would be picky, right?

Instead, this kid devours every meal, and then asks for the leftovers for breakfast the next day.  She declares on a daily basis "that was the best thing I've ever eaten".  I'm very spoiled, and fully expect this to change at some point.
    Phoenix 
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    This just goes to show that nobody gets inbetween @SGH and his food.... NOBODY!
  • mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    My wife is the most picky person I have ever met. It sucks most of the time because I love seafood and bbq, and I can't share that with her. I've eaten pulled pork sandwiches at local carnivals and she's tried them and likes it. Then I make mine and she doesn't like it. And mine blows theirs out of the water. I have neighbors bringing me pork butts for me to cook for them. I don't get it. Haha. Annoys the crap out of me 
  • ChillyWillis
    It's been my experience that most picky eaters NEVER cook.... Or if they do its reheated processed crap from the supermarket. 

I've found it's more of a 1) lack of knowledge of cooking, or a 2) too lazy to cook issue. If people fall into those patterns early in life it can be tough to break the "picky eater" pattern. 

Cooking expands the palate more quickly than anything else in the world (with the possible exception of extended traveling). 
  • MaC122

@SGH you just made me laugh out loud and clap at 2 am! Crazy picky eaters.

My theory on the whole thing is...you only live once. Why not try every food that you can. Disgusting or not. Picky eaters are missing out on one of the best things that God gave us. Taste

• blasting
    2 am!  You must be on the wrong side of the country @MaC122 .  

Sure hope it wasn't rude of me to bring up my weird kid earlier.  Anyway, thinking about your situation, would your lovely wife consider cooking with you?  Food may be more palatable if she had a hand in it's creation.
    Phoenix 
  • MaC122
    @blasting not sure why you thought that your post was rude. No...the wife is happily ignorant of the egg and it's mysterious ways.
  • MaC122

@Cazzy how cool is that. Connor, my 2 year old, loves to cook with us. He may not eat it but he sure can mix a bowl! Cool post

• blasting
    @cazzy Thanks for posting. Those are some terrific pics.  
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    MaC122 said:

@Cazzy how cool is that. Connor, my 2 year old, loves to cook with us. He may not eat it but he sure can mix a bowl! Cool post

blasting said:
    @cazzy Thanks for posting. Those are some terrific pics.  
    Glad you enjoyed the pics guys!  Anytime I start cooking, Kyle runs and gets his stool and Kinleigh will join us soon after.  I learned how to cook from watching my mom but I'm teaching them everything from the ground up.  My passion for cooking will be something I leave them to pass along to their children.  

The pics above were from the Mother's Day breakfast they made for mom.  Outside of cooking the omelette, they did it all!  Such a blast!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    edited May 2015
    SGH said:
    Years ago, my first wife was a picky eater. I divorced her and married Angie. All is good now. 
    Thats funny.

My wife was a really picky eater when we met. Now, not so much.

“All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What does your wife like to eat?  Maybe folks will have some ideas of how to branch out into other things.  

I wonder if the meatloaf thing might be a childhood trauma.  Maybe her parents forced her to eat bad meatloaf, or she had it at the school cafeteria.  Here is one method you can try to get her to eat it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNpydUfduo

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    @cazzy. Always love it when you share shots of your kids. They are truly adorable..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Everyone but me is a picky eater.  Except for food I am allergic to(Shrimp) I will try anything, eat most anything.  When I used to work at an actual office building and we'd go out to eat, I'd almost always order whatever the guy next to me had just ordered, "same as what he ordered".   
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    My wife thinks mayonnaise is spicy.....well, maybe not that bad but I do have to watch my spice levels when cooking.
    LBGE and Mini
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Yes and that person is me. That's why I do all of the cooking these days.  =)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have 2 vegetarians visiting this weekend, my daughter and my DIL. That always makes cooking easier. :(

Otherwise, its just no green pepper for me, no lima beans for my wife.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    My wife is pickey.  I like to do things differently for my mood or something that I read or seen.  Me, there's not much I do not like, except for desserts.  I am not a big fan of desserts.  

My wife, she wants things the same way, all the time.  She orders the same item at one of our favorite restaurants.  One that we have gone to for over 6 years now.  I can count on one hand that she's got something different.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My 3 year old but he is coming around
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    My wife is the picky one in my family. She grew up in an Irish-American family and had very little in the way of fresh veggies or salads. Her idea of veggy is green beans (canned only), peas, corn, or potatoes. And after 40+ years, she hasn't changed and doesn't like other veggies or salads. Couple that with my gluten intolerance and low carb diet, and we have some scrambling to find a menu that we can both enjoy. Most nights, dinner is a meat, a side for her and a different side for me.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Also my youngest is a bit picky.  When she is not happy with my food, she quotes Ted Allen...
    "Chef Dad, you've been chopped.  Judges?"
    If all I ever do is cook chicken drums, she would be happy.
    Great thread!
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    My wife has come a long way since we first started dating.  Anything other than S&P was foreign.  It's not that she didn't like stuff but said she grew up on Stove Top and ground beef.  So  much was new to her.  She never even had salmon before she met me!  I can't think of anything she disapproves of which is super nice.  She digs some heat and enjoys trying anything that's put in front of her.  Got lucky I guess. 

I also thank my parents every once in awhile for forcing us to eat food what we didn't want to eat when growing up.  It wasn't a choice it was what we were going to eat.  I can't thank them enough for that!  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota